Poll: Dragon Age: II's main problem

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
pezwitch said:
My bank toon in WoW is a male human rogue because those are the things I dislike playing and I won't be tempted to play him as an alt. After 4 years he recently hit Level 2 so it is working.
Funnily enough, my bank toon in WoW is a human rogue (albeit female), although that was more for the reason that she started quite close to Stormwind and could run there quite quickly. Also, I already have a real male rogue in there, so am forbidden by an unwritten law to make another.

As, you will know, rogues an not just a class in WoW, but also Dragon Age 2, which is the link that makes this post totally relevant. Thankyou.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
I fail to see any problem with this whatsoever - after all, in the "bog standard" fantasy setting replete with requisite elves, dwarves, etc, the option to play as a human has almost always been fully intact. Then you have games like The Witcher, where you're not only human, you're always a specific male human whose name/face/voice/etc you cannot customize, and that game was brilliant.

Would it be cool to have an expanded arsenal of options? Well sure, but the story that Dragon Age 2 is telling differs from that of Origins, and the entire framing context really only works if Hawke is human, given the entire backstory and how it pertains to your family and their relationship with the city of Kirkwall. If you could choose to be a Dwarven or Elven version of Hawke they'd have to entirely rewrite massive sections of the game to make the lore "fit"; heck, at that point you'd basically have 3 or 4 different versions of the game based on race alone, even before you factor in player conduct.

So no, I don't think it's a problem that Hawke is always going to be a human, it fits the confines of the specific story they're setting out to tell, and it's not like there aren't elves and dwarves that you can be friends with and everything, you just aren't one yourself. There wasn't any significant gameplay mechanic behind that decision in the first game anyways, it was basically just a choice of which origin path you'd take and how other characters would react to your Warden, and other smaller things throughout (the stat differences between the three races were negligible). Otherwise, the rest of the game was basically the same no matter what race or class you played; the sequel isn't really much of a step back in that regard.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Don't really care. Granted, I liked seeing how characters reacted differently in the first game, but it doesn't really bother me that much. What I think Dragon Age II's main problem is this:

It's not Mass Effect 2. Honest to God, Mass Effect 2 did the same thing that Dragon Age 2 did and people praise that game, yet tear DA II to shreds. Hypocritical.

kuyo

Dec 25, 2008
You actually have two unoriginal character traits. Humanity and stupidity.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
I strongly disagree. Did it piss you off in Mass Effect as well?

How about The Witcher?

Simply put, I fail to see how having the game give you a role to play in the role playing game is anything but exactly what to expect. Having an open creation option fits within the RP as well, sure, but there's no way to argue that being given a specific character isn't completely justified. Especially when there's so much voice acting and plot elements that would kind of not work - or at least, would have delayed the game hugely to try and accomodate all the variables.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
Well, it works in The Witcher where you have no choice. You play as Geralt of Rivia but at least choices you make in The Wither are better because THERE IS NO DIALOGUE WHEEL! The Witcher is the only game that can pull that kind of RPG and get away with it with praise. That's because Geralt is awesome. Hawke can't even hold a candle to him or our beloved mute Gray Warden. Not to say that Hawke is a bad character. Just not as memorable as I thought he'd be. So it's not about the character. It's about the choices you're allowed to make with that character.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
I definitely agree. With all these different races in the worlds fantasy games (or sci fi games, with Bioware), making us be a boring old human is just cruelty.

All these diverse races, and we're left playing as...what we are in real life. Yes, a badass one, but still.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
No, the main problem was the ending. That was really bad. Like worse than the original fallout 3 ending.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
mattttherman3 said:
No, the main problem was the ending. That was really bad. Like worse than the original fallout 3 ending.
The original Fallout: 3 ending was fine. You took on the wasteland from cradle to grave. You followed your characters entire life, and when it ended, the story ended.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Souplex said:
mattttherman3 said:
The original Fallout: 3 ending was fine. You took on the wasteland from cradle to grave. You followed your characters entire life, and when it ended, the story ended.
It came out of nowhere, that's what made the ending rage-inducing.

It was a major relief when Broken Steel came out.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Not a problem at all. Even though I hate dwarves, I still would've played this if my character was a dwarf.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I doubt it'd matter one lick if there weren't multiple playable races in the first. Nobody would have noticed if it wasn't there, but take it away? People hate that.

However:

Sten Disapproves (-5)

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Not the main problem in any sense, but a part of a sum of problems that make it far worse than its predecessor.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
I agree, it's not a deal breaker, but I agree.
I preferred playing as an Elf in Origins, and was kinda pissed that you could only play as a human in DA2, at first. I got used to it though.

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
Souplex said:
Having the player character's race be human in a fantasy game is like having their class be accountant. Fantasy is supposed to be relatively divorced from reality. It's full of things like Dwarves, Gnomes, Quinari, and other things. This is like in Space Wizards (Mass Effect) where they introduced Krogans and Salarians, two of the greatest Sci-Fi races ever, and forced you to be human.
You and I will never see eye-to-eye. I always play elf when given the choice and think Turians are way cooler than simpleton Krogans.

OT: I can honestly say this hadn't even occurred to me as a possible issue until reading your post, so I went with Strongly Disagree. To me, Hawkes personality is much more important than his/her race, so as long as we get dialogue options and allies of the varying races, it's all good with me.