Poll: dredding homework.

Jenkins

Dec 4, 2007
I want to start a discussion on this matter. I feel that schools are putting to much pressure on students with homework. The amount of added pressure is what can break a kids motivation to do well in school if he is constantly swamped with homework with no breaks.

Now I know it can get worse in uni depending on subjects and such, but for now I will take the view of a high schooler. kids gets swamped with 7-8 hour schedules 5 days a week, only to come home to do homework from any amount of 2-6 hours of homework, depending on the day and schedule. If you add that up that is anywhere of 9-14's of work a day. Don't forget to add in the time a person needs to sleep, eat, and take care of other basic necessities, and you are left with very limited amounts of spare time for self indulgence.

I personally feel that their are to many teachers with the "my class is the most important and only class" mentality, and thus don't take into account the other loads of homework students get from other teachers (who for all you know have the same mentality)

thoughts, opinions?

P.S lets keep this constructive and clean please.

P.S.S sorry for my grammar mistakes.

sabotstarr

Sep 4, 2008
Jenkins said:
I personally feel that their are to many teachers with the "my class is the most important and only class" mentality, and thus don't take into account the other loads of homework students get from other teachers (who for all you know have the same mentality)
Yes indeed. But they need to get a life and find someone else to give all that busy work to. And AP classes suck.

Inverse Skies

Feb 3, 2009
Eh. It's something you get used to as you go through highschool and then uni. I always managed to find time for sport and leisure activities despite the workload. It's all about time management, if you can do that well you're set, otherwise you'll find yourself swamped way too quickly.

Jenkins

Dec 4, 2007
TheNecroswanson said:
You spelled "dread" wrong. Unless you're talking about homework on Judge Dredd.
aw crap >.<

... in that case yes, I am talking about judge dredd.

sorry I am trying to multitask like 10 things and that grammar error slipped :(

cookyt

Oct 13, 2008
I recently turned in a packet on a 374 page novel that was 180 questions long. 180 questions! That is a question for every 2.072 readable pages of the book. On top of that, that same English teacher kept us "busy" with vocabulary homework, regular essays, packets to take home etc. Now, that is only a single class.

I find the amount of work these people expect us to do outrageous. They try to pound a single piece of useless information into your mind with all the unbearable grind of a JRPG ten fold. I would much rather move quickly in a class whilst doing the minimal homework amount necessary to give me a curt reminder of something we should have already known by the end of the class.

letsnoobtehpwns

Dec 28, 2008
You have no idea how much pressure my school puts on us to do our homework. If you don't do it or if it gets ruined, stolen, left at home or anything else then you have to stay after school for an hour. Even if you finish your homework for this week and the next your still in there just sitting around reading the shitty Readers Digest. I fucking hate my school. I wish it would burn down.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
You've got a point, but in the end, it all boils down to communication (or the lack there of). In my school, at least, teachers admit that faculties rarely communicate with each other, and because every faculty has the same deadline to meet (in terms of reports), then generally place assessment tasks and like in the same period as others.

So, at least all you've got to worry about is too much homework... when all your assessment are in the same week, then you have "too much pressure".

Talendra

Hail, Ilpalazzo!
Jan 26, 2009
I think that there is too much homework in highschool. While needed the amount can be quite ridiculous. Of course I had more homework in university, but it was a higher level of education, I had less class time, and I was doing a double degree so it was to be expected. They need to find a balance between preparing kids for university and the work place, without sacrificing their childhood and leaving them with virtually no time for anything.
To be fair I did not have too much trouble completing the homework, but I am the sort of person that can sit down and do something without any forward planning, and just work it out as I go. My sister however spent most of her time doing homework, just about every weekday night, and was lucky if she got the weekend off too. She is definitely not stupid either, it was just the huge amount of work she had to do.
So yes it is too much.

The Black Adder

Sep 14, 2008
Compared to all the stuff I got in high school, college is nothing. Maybe it's because I'm learning what I want to learn so I enjoy it, if not mind it. But some amount of homework should be mandatory so that you can retain something.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
No. This thread made me chuckle a little. Once you get out of school you can finally see how you wished to be back. Homework did suck as I recall, but compared to life it's really nothing. As school progresses to highschool, children should be getting more homework. It gathers knowledge for you later in life. I'm sure only 20% of what I learned was useful, but at least it opens your mind a bit to the actual processes of learning and the abilities to gain knowledge.

Brett Alex

Jul 22, 2008
TheNecroswanson said:
You spelled "dread" wrong. Unless you're talking about homework on Judge Dredd.
Now why doesn't my school offer those classes...?

As for the OP, its all about organisation. Seriously, just know when you need to have things done. You don't even have to do them early, simply estimate: how long a task will take you, when its due, what other tasks from other subjects it might conflict, then use that to work out the last possible date you have to start it.

This is of course, the "worst" kind of organisation, but its still organisation none the less. If you start of this way, chances are you'll develop a pattern and you might even get to the point where you are motivated/on top of your work that you can be finishing things long before they are due.

That, and only pick subjects you are good at/enjoy. I dropped Maths last year and found it significantly cut the amount of time I spent on homework (or rather, the amount of time I spent procrastinating in front of homework) down, because I was terrible at it and don't need it for a career.

TMAN10112

Jul 4, 2008
I have always had a problem with homework(has anyone eles noticed that the word "homework" is an oxymoron?), but only in the subjects that I had a very low interest in. I recently(past year or so) got over my stress problem (anything school related would have me literaly shakeing with stress), when I got a "go with the flow" attitude about life. I'm not really sure how it happened, but one night I just came to some realisation and all the stuff I would worry about didn't matter anymore. This hasn't helped my grades, but my life has taken a turn for the best because of it.

Railu

Aug 7, 2008
It may seem like a pain in the behind right now, after you're done in school you will miss it. It's a great preparation for the pressures of life afterwards too. If you can do 6 classes a week with 4-8 hours of homework for each and work nights to pay for your tuition, you can do about anything.

In my final year, I logged almost 50 hours a week on mine at one point. But it was worth it because resulting piece of software I made got me a job in the gaming industry.

The only thing I can say then is it is worth it. Just hunker down and do your best.

chronobreak

Sep 6, 2008
As for High School, I say 8 hours a day is well enough. Keep it in the school, and leave the rest of the time for the damn kids. If the teachers can't teach in their alloted 8 hours, they're not doing a good enough job.

jad4400

Jun 12, 2008
In my school, the math and science departments have swiched over to the "profiency" system, with a school mandate for the rest of the departments to swich over in the next several years. Basically in this system, homework counts for jack, all of our points come from our tests, which are divided into diffenent subsections, and we are graded for each subsection with a point matrix from 1 to 4 with 3 and 4 meaining passing and 1 and 2 meaning not passing. If we fail a subsection, we can retake as many times as needed untill we get a 3 in said subsection. If you pass with all 3s or mostly 3s and a few 4s you get a C. A good Mix of 3s and 4s gets you a B and all or mostly all As get you an A.

We students are not sure if we like the system or not, on one hand we can retake skills and could possiably get hight grades, on the other hand our grades cannot be supported by our homework and we can become semi-dependent on retakes so it is up in the air.

zen5887

Jan 31, 2008
I was pretty lucky in high school when it came to homework. I rarely had to do much and if I did I would do it during class. My girlfriend, however had quite the workload, to the point I think it went to far. She would be up till all hours studying then have to get up early for school. I could see her health get worse and was pretty worried.

I have always thought that teachers put too much pressure on kids to do well. I agree that doing well at school is important but its not the end of the world if you don't do great. I got a shocking score but found a uni course that was based on audition instead of grades (I'm doing really well at it btw). I remember the weeks leading up to the QCS test (which is the test that tells you what uni courses you can do, more or less) one of the teachers said "This is the most important test of your life" which was such a stupid thing to say. A lot of kids where freaking out about it already so saying that just made matters worse. I don't see why teachers can't say something like "This test is pretty important but hey, if you don't do well its not the end of the world, just relax."

Ah well.. Its all in the past now.