Poll: Drinking age changing to 21

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
Who cares?

Drinking causes more problems than the other things you mentioned.

Granted, it's partly down to the parent's method of upbringing, but it's also down to the child.

Captain_Caveman

Mar 21, 2009
drinking age is 21 in the U.S. but that doesnt stop anybody from drinking earlier.
marijuana is illegal too but 20% of the population still smokes it.

prohibition doesn't work. it's just a giant waste of money.

educate w/ facts. dont try to terrify w/ lies.

its like the whole "pot is a gateway drug" lie. it's not a gateway, the lie that it's as dangerous as hard drugs (crack, heroin, meth, etc..) is the gateway; because all people are eventually exposed to weed and realize it's innocuous, the ones who still believe the gov propaganda after that infer that hard drugs are too when that's the farthest thing from reality.

CuddlyCombine

Sep 12, 2007
shannon.archer said:
Now this I think is bulls***...

Push to lift drinking age to 21 in Australia

You can go to war and die at 18, you can smoke at 18, you can vote and pay taxes at 18 but you can't f***ing drink? What kind of logic is this? This is of course directed to the wonderfully conservative Australian government. I was wondering what every Australian or otherwise thinks of this move, whether it will be successful or if their aim of stopping teenage drinking will actually work >_>. Honestly i think the only way anything will change is if the parents influence THEIR children to behave sensibly and the government should give them the power to do so.
\\

Because drinking raucously is more appealing to the masses than tax-paying, going to war and smoking?

I hope you can see their logic. They're trying to cut people back. Even so, I doubt it will work - the drinking age is 18 here and people still start when they're 13-14 because their older siblings buy them stuff.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
That's odd, because in Australia their age rating policies on certain forms of media are so fair and well thought out.

crape

Oct 12, 2009
i don't exactly know how to respond to this.. i live in the U.S. and the drinking age has kinda always been 21 for me -lol- soooo.. i definitely think it should be 18 'cause yeah that's when you're an "adult" why not gain all your rights then and there? plus i'm almost 18 so 'course i'm supporting that! :D

Godavari

Aug 6, 2009
AS many have already said, USA already has this.

*checks to make sure*

Yes! Reverse ninja!

lxl_c0d3m0nk3y_lxl

Oct 4, 2009
shannon.archer said:

You can go to war and die at 18, you can smoke at 18, you can vote and pay taxes at 18 but you can't f***ing drink? What kind of logic is this? This is of course directed to the wonderfully conservative Australian government. I was wondering what every Australian or otherwise thinks of this move, whether it will be successful or if their aim of stopping teenage drinking will actually work >_>. Honestly i think the only way anything will change is if the parents influence THEIR children to behave sensibly and the government should give them the power to do so.
did you know the the "wonderful conservative australlian government"also banned Left 4 Dead 2?

fatmann55

Sep 5, 2009
i like how australia is bitchin i hope they relize in the us u cant drink till 21 and we just dont listen.

AWC Viper

Jun 12, 2008
shannon.archer said:

You can go to war and die at 18

In NZ the age was 21 when my father was a Soldier in the NZDF and was able to drink because of that argument. if I'm old enough to take a bullet for my country then i should be old enough for a Bloody beer.

Plazmatic

May 4, 2009
Um, yeah Its already 21, so hahaha... very funny? Any ways, your in austrailia, just get a boat and drive into international waters, any body in international waters at 18 can drink.

Also its a brain developing thing, thats why they changed it to that in the US.

Aardvark

Sep 9, 2008
Won't happen. That'll cut down the alcohol revenue drastically, which cuts into tax revenue. At the most, they'll announce a new anti-binge drinking campaign, which will do as little as all the others, then the issue will be tossed aside for the next scare craze.

tenlong

Apr 26, 2009
shannon.archer said:

I had to do a report on this subject in english class.

Superhyperactiveman

Jul 23, 2009
I live in the U.S. where it's already 21, and people are pushing to make it younger, which I actually think is a bad idea myself, so if I lived there, I would think it was a good idea, maybe, possibly...