Poll: Dubstep, how do YOU feel about it?

Pharsalus

Jun 16, 2011
Most if it is bad, I have some great speakers in my CR-Z, but I'll get my bass elsewhere. Some of the elements of dubstep can be put together in a very effective way while still being good music (LMFAO) but most dubstep is just techno with more awful ingredients.

Xorph

Aug 24, 2010
I enjoy both dubstep and brostep quite a bit, but honestly I think people need to start understanding the difference between them. Everyone is always complaining about how annoying all the "dubstep" in newer game trailers and stuff is, when more often than not its either brostep or not dubstep at all, but some other form of electronic music.

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
I've found very, very few songs I actually liked. And even then, I'm not sure if they were dubstep or not, since everyone seems to have a different definition.

If the genre were to vanish tomorrow, I would not miss it.

Overall, I think it needs more Bon Scott.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Z of the Na said:
Dubstep is an insult to the entire techno music genre.

I detest it immensely.
what?

dubstep isnt techno

oh god...

you didnt

you just called all electronci music techno?...f...f...FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!

sorry, I'm ok now

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Pharsalus said:
Most if it is bad, I have some great speakers in my CR-Z, but I'll get my bass elsewhere. Some of the elements of dubstep can be put together in a very effective way while still being good music (LMFAO) but most dubstep is just techno with more awful ingredients.
DUPSTEP IS NOT TECHNO

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Private Custard said:
Gotta laugh at the guys appearing in this thread to do nothing but belittle electronic music in a passive-aggressive manner, leaving us wondering if we should offer them something other than Skrillex to change their minds.........or just say 'fuck it', I'd be wasting my time yelling into the vacuum of space!!

Anyway, on topic. Yes, I love it. Even the wub wubs have their place as the current sub-genre that really doesn't seem to take itself too seriously. Filling the same sort of position that, in the mid 90's, was taken up with tracks like Dred Bass and Incredible, which were the fun and well known face of jungle.

What I don't like is the shady-brained blurring of the lines between DnB and dubstep. One is one, one is the other....simple!

Although DnB needs a little exposure as it's been struggling for a long time.
just dubstep really....which is understandable

although dubstep and techno do not belong in the same sentence

I can't really get into DNB

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Oh, yeah, also this. Because I can't really hate anything that Lindsey does. Plus her's is quite different to other dubstep I've heard, while most dubstep I've heard just sounds like a bunch of techno sounds randomly mashed up together, Lindsey's is quite soft and sounds nice and the violin just gives it a nice touch that's relaxing to listen to.

I still want to know how they built those ice castles because they're awesome.
Tehcno sounds? what the hell does that even mean?

why do people think tehcno means all music thats electronic?

completly different....

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Shilefin said:
Dubsteb is the only kind of electronic, 'You can dance to it' music I can stand, and maybe even like. Most of the time when I hear the things that people play at parties(Though that happens rarely, leaving my cave is not something I like to do alot of)I want to, well, vomit. There are a few exceptions, but for the most part I want to smash the object playing said music with a sledgehammer.
erm...

dubstep isnt really "dance to it" kind of music...its more a slower tempo that oyu nod your head too

I love electronic music and don't think its limited too "party" shit...I guess the sound is just personal taste

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
I don't think I'd know it even if I heard it. I didn't even have a concept of what dubstep was until people kept throwing the word around with that Borderlands 2 trailer v:

But I don't really listen to music, anyway, so it's probably no weirder or less recognizable than anything else that may be popular at the moment.

hecticpicnic

Jul 27, 2010
I can tolerate most British dubstep, i had a fascination with it a while ago when i was getting into two step, garage and grime.The was an comp album i liked called future bass.
Tbh i much prefer dub or drum and bass, (dubstep just seems like over complicated dub with aggressive drums to me).And i detest skrillix brand dubstep stuff, i hear squarepushers having a go with some o' da;which should be good.
And people please don't label all EDM(or even IDM) as techno.

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
I like it as much as I liked Drum and Bass 15 years ago. i.e. Not at all.

Dance music will come and go to give Rock music a break. Rock will be back again. I just I hope the next time Rock comes back, it comes back better than this last lot we've had in between dance phases. But it seems to follow that pattern - every 20 years - good rock - 1950s, 1970s, 1990s... I guess we should be on the verge of something more interesting pretty soon.

Perhaps good rock is always a reaction against popular dance music phases (Disco, 80s, Electronica, etc...)? So if there's a popular wave of dance music coming, expect some great rock music at the end of the decade.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Vault101 said:
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Oh, yeah, also this. Because I can't really hate anything that Lindsey does. Plus her's is quite different to other dubstep I've heard, while most dubstep I've heard just sounds like a bunch of techno sounds randomly mashed up together, Lindsey's is quite soft and sounds nice and the violin just gives it a nice touch that's relaxing to listen to.

I still want to know how they built those ice castles because they're awesome.
Tehcno sounds? what the hell does that even mean?

why do people think tehcno means all music thats electronic?

completly different....
I never said that I think techno music is all that's electronic, while I'm not really a fan of any type of electronic music and therefore not great at defining the different sub-genres of electronic music, I'm aware there are other sub-genres to the electronic genre, or whatever. I'm simply saying what dubstep sounds like to me, in my opinion.

hecticpicnic

Jul 27, 2010
floppylobster said:
I like it as much as I liked Drum and Bass 15 years ago. i.e. Not at all.

Dance music will come and go to give Rock music a break. Rock will be back again. I just I hope the next time Rock comes back, it comes back better than this last lot we've had in between dance phases. But it seems to follow that pattern - every 20 years - good rock - 1950s, 1970s, 1990s... I guess we should be on the verge of something more interesting pretty soon.

Perhaps good rock is always a reaction against popular dance music phases (Disco, 80s, Electronica, etc...)? So if there's a popular wave of dance music coming, expect some great rock music at the end of the decade.
Are you saying 60s rock wasn't good?And sure good electronica was fairly prevalent in the 90s.
And one more thing, rock music never went away, and i doubt it will ever come back with the same fore it might have had in the 90s(such a broad term too, i mean what do you define rock as, because there are so many different sub genres, and there are big parts of rock that are just bollox).The music industry is changing in ways it will never com back from, especially with the internet, and how the media(radio) treats music now'a'days.

And for any of you who don't know where dubstep came from, it's from the UK dub scene, it's all to with downers and weed.
Perfect exsample of club dub

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
You mean the real dubstep?

No, of course you don't. You mean that WUBWUBWWUBWUWBUWDASOHUDFVUFIFV shit that is just 20 year old Drum and Bass slowed down by 100% with all the creativity removed.

Yeah, it sucks.
Hence why I still refer to today's "dubstep" by it's real name. "Brostep".

And, seeing as one of brosteps poster-boys; a shining example of the range and quality of the sub-genre; is Skrillex...

No. I fucking hate todays dubstep. Just like SmashLove. It's awful, uninspired, uncreative, obnoxious, and just down-right annoying. For most brostep "artists", all they do is take samples of other songs; usually pop or trance; play them for a minute or two with some fucking annoying squeaky voiced singing over top, cut to the typical "wub" bass, and rinse/repeat a few times. It's the equivalent of every other awful, popular-in-its-time sub-genre that was only enjoyed by people without taste or people who wanted something they knew their parents would hate.

You want good dubstep? Listen to Deadmau5, The Glitch Mob, Basement Jaxx, or the like. At least their songs have some semblance of originality and musicality to them.

Though I will add that there is at least one "brostep" song I do like.
Funny thing is, it's repetitive as hell and, as far as I'm concerned, was "released" as a joke by Deadmau5. (released is in quotes because it was leaked to his MySpace/Facebook page and was labeled unfinished) Yet, I STILL find it more enjoyable than most brostep songs I've heard.

Quick caveat: enable the 3D on the player. For some reason, the audio quality is much improved. Whoever uploaded messed something up.

217not237

Nov 9, 2011
I feel the same towards dubstep as I do rap or country: I just do not like it, but there are some songs that I thought were very good.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Dubstep is decent at best. I don't like it, but I don't hate it either.

Americanized dubstep (and the related brostep) can disappear into the ether and be forgotten forever. It's just... it's so bad in every single way.

Gmans uncle

Oct 17, 2011
Okay lets start by clarifying exactly what "dubstep" is in this instance. Are you referring to REAL dubstep as it started in the mid 80's as a derivative of the disco genera?
Or are you referring to the music that artists like 12th Planet and Skrillex popularized? I call that "fauxstep" becoase while it borrows some characteristics of dubstep, it doesn't really fit in with the established genera, yet everyone and their uncle tends to refer to it as such.
Not that I'm knocking that sub-genera (I happen to quite enjoy the works of Noisia and Skrillex) but it's unfair to properly judge an entire sub-genera without fully understanding it.

And to answer your question, while it's not my favorite fruit of the vast cornucopia that is electronic music, I do appreciate the raw energy that radiates from proper dubstep.