Poll: Dubstep, how do YOU feel about it?

Vicarious Reality

Jul 10, 2011
Am i listening to proper dubstep, lol

And now for something, completely different.

I can definitely understand why people do not like listening to 'harder' electrodubstep like #96
Like how i used to not like extreme metal

Moar because womp

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
I like to think of it as the "junk food" equivalent of all the music genres.
That is, it's okay in doses, and as part of an overall balanced music diet, but if it's the sole genre someone listens to, then there may be problems for that individual...

hecticpicnic

Jul 27, 2010
People keep calling it generic and bland, but really genres like trance are far worse, probably the most boring, least diverse genre in EDM.
And while some dubstep is annoying there is a lot of experimentation to it
here is some mind blowing dub,gotta turn up the bass though
and here is a track that i think everyone into electronic music should hear.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
it sucks, but i have a distaste to any kind of sound that sounds electronic. which is why 50percent of 80s pop drives me fucking nuts.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
Every fucking few weeks I have to see a thread like this about dubstep and the ignorance that follows it. Impossible to fight a tide like this, ugh.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
It's a fad and I'm glad everything's going back to normal. Now people who like it can listen to it and people who don't like don't have to hear it in every game trailer or put up with "HURR DUBSTEP WUBWUBWUB" whenever it's brought up.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
Fuck it.
Vault101 said:
DanielBrown said:
I'm not sure what dubstep is to begin with, but I assume it's some electronic shit.
Not a fan of that kind of music, so I doubt I'd like it.
usually identifiable by its heavy use of base and such....sutff that sounds kinda like this

its nice that you don't like electronic music but don't call it shit or imply that dubstep represents the entire genre.. you'll only piss people off that way (you'd have to be deaf to not tell the distinct different between dubstep and house)
Nah, this is more like slowed down drum and bass or something, not sure actually, but it's not dubstep (prefer the original btw). Really it's more like a slowed down version of the original with more synth and a thick, regular beat. I'd say drum and bass or house, but I can barely hear any bass and it misses out the 3rd beat.

thaluikhain said:
Eh...never seen a good definition of what dubstep is.
At its simplest, Dubstep is what you get with you mix Dub with 2 step garage.

Riddle78 said:
It's like a cheese grater on a blackboard. Don't get me wrong;I enjoy techno and electronica,for the most part,but so far every dubstep song I've listened to sounded just as I had described. And I only know it was dubsteb when the author of the song described it as dubstep. Quite frankly,I hear no difference between dubstep and other forms of techno.
Really? Even these?

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Kurt Cristal said:
As an electronic music fan, I'm actually quite proud of the current commercial and popularity-wise success of the genre. I wasn't too big of a fan to start, but after it blew up, I've been hearing more and more good mixes. Even if sometimes it does sound like two washing machines copulating. So how about you? You like it? Hate it?
Classical Music and Eletronica (Dubstep included) are the two best Genres to write to.

I couldn't give two hobbits if someone else doesn't like it or doesn't understand it, when you want to get into the literary zone these are the genres to fall on.

Plus if you want to imprint an event from your writing in your mind you write while listening to a certain song. Anytime you hear that song after it will bring up the event and you'll be better equipped to refer back to it or to keep continuity without the copious notes.

Also, I still suggest copious notes.

Phlakes said:
It's a fad and I'm glad everything's going back to normal. Now people who like it can listen to it and people who don't like don't have to hear it in every game trailer or put up with "HURR DUBSTEP WUBWUBWUB" whenever it's brought up.
Pretty sure the widespread popularity of any genre of music is a fad. Then it ends up only being deeply consumed by the demographics that don't get tired of the formula.

We are creatures of habit and we discern patterns, if those patterns don't please our senses we lose interest. This has nothing to do with the quality of any form of entertainment.

Not that you implied any loss of quality, I just was amused by the idea that any genre of music hasn't been a fad. Every kind of music you've ever known still exists it just has diffused down to the people that it most relates to.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
AnarchistFish said:
Every fucking few weeks I have to see a thread like this about dubstep and the ignorance that follows it. Impossible to fight a tide like this, ugh.
I feel you bro, I really do.

but their is really no bother trying to educate the masses on something they are completely ignorant to.

Calling Dubstep techno in itself is ignorant, let alone this copious misunderstanding on the varieties of dubstep available.

L33tsauce_Marty

Jun 26, 2008
These kinds of polls/questions are absolutely idiotic and need to stop. Dubstep does not need to be discussed if you don't care for it. Even less if you have no investment in EDM in general. I don't care for a classical guitarist's opinion about electronic music in general. I don't care if anyone says anything negative about Dubstep, Drum & Bass, House, etc because the fact is they have no ability to gain perspective on anything different than what they enjoy. I grew up learning classical piano and my music interests have fluctuated through time. I enjoy all kinds of dubstep, it's wonderful. No one if forcing you to listen to dubstep. It's not as popular as pop music. If anyone is blaring it in your face, then politely go over and pull plug their sound system.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
theultimateend said:
Kurt Cristal said:
As an electronic music fan, I'm actually quite proud of the current commercial and popularity-wise success of the genre. I wasn't too big of a fan to start, but after it blew up, I've been hearing more and more good mixes. Even if sometimes it does sound like two washing machines copulating. So how about you? You like it? Hate it?
Classical Music and Eletronica (Dubstep included) are the two best Genres to write to.
(Post Rock)

Jazoni89 said:
AnarchistFish said:

but their is really no bother trying to educate the masses on something they are completely ignorant to.

Calling Dubstep techno in itself is ignorant, let alone this copious misunderstanding on the varieties of dubstep available.
But, I must. Inform.

Finding real dubstep tracks is really tricky now. Gotta really on recommendations and blogs.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
AnarchistFish said:
theultimateend said:
Kurt Cristal said:
(Post Rock)

Jazoni89 said:
AnarchistFish said:

But, I must. Inform.

Finding real dubstep tracks is really tricky now. Gotta really on recommendations and blogs.
Yeah, I guess this whole stigma of modern Dubstep, is the reason why many new old style Dub artists don't come out of the wood work much nowadays.

Also, Post-Rock is fantastic, you do indeed have great taste sir.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
I never cared one way or the other, but the more I've herd the more I appreciate it.

I'm the kind of person who likes remixes a lot, and dubstep is just another way to remix something.

And original dubstep compositions is just like hearing a remix to a song that doesn't exist.

Out of nowhere here's a dubstep remix I like!

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
I never heard about this music until Saints Row 3 came out.

It's ok. Not something I would choose to listen to, but not something I'm dying to turn off either. I prefer my music to have actual singing and lyrics though.

Kurt Cristal

Mar 31, 2010
theultimateend said:
Kurt Cristal said:

I couldn't give two hobbits if someone else doesn't like it or doesn't understand it, when you want to get into the literary zone these are the genres to fall on.

Plus if you want to imprint an event from your writing in your mind you write while listening to a certain song. Anytime you hear that song after it will bring up the event and you'll be better equipped to refer back to it or to keep continuity without the copious notes.

Also, I still suggest copious notes.
Odd mix. Actually , I do this all the time with Liquid DnB. As a writer it really puts me in another mood. That and Electro. Dubstep is actually distracting to me, it feels like "action scene music" more than "contemplate what your characters are doing" music.