Poll: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Review

chronicfc

Jun 1, 2011
I'd like to start by saying that I am not the type of person who has eagerly been awaiting Duke Nukem Forever for 15 years, mainly because I'm not that big of a fanboy, but also because I am as old as Duke Nukem 3D. So I am probably not the most qualified to discuss final quality over anticipation, and the only reason I got first access was the Borderlands GoTY edition I bought, but what the hell, I will, because I am that big of an attention whore.

The whole genre of FPS's depresses me; they are all, more or less, the same game. Sure some are set in Imperial Japan and others in a post apocalyptic New York but the base mechanics are all the same. Dull, regenerating health, cover based combat. In an attempt to escape this me and my friend recently downloaded Serious Sam HD 1&2, for "teh lulz" and we both really enjoyed, and spent a good solid weekend on it on "serious" difficulty, so I was really looking forward to playing the Duke Nukem demo, as I hear Serious Sam is very similar to Duke Nukem.

The demo starts with Duke taking a piss, then he makes some "witticism" and goes to a room where three soldiers and a white board are standing, when one of them gave me a pen and I, being myself, drew a massive cock'n'balls, and the one remaining soldier greatly praised my artwork. Skip forward a minute or so and I'm shooting down a massive mecha-alien thing with what appears to be the BFG 9000. I hop on its back, rip out something and kick its dismembered tonsils for a field goal. Now this was all well and good, but it appeared I had been playing a "game within a game" as Duke himself is playing it whilst being given a blow-job, and in a masterpiece of a self aware game, Duke says the game is good "but after 12 fucking years it better have been" which, admittedly, made me chuckle.

Next there is some weird skip forward to Duke in a monster truck(being drove in 3rd person), it breaks down and Duke sets off to find gas, although after 5 seconds I forgot why I was wandering around some form of canyon(may or may not have been the "Grand" one), and off begins the actual demo. Within a good 30 seconds I realized that my pistol was doing fuck all so I dropped it for a grossly powerful sniper and a fucking fun shotgun. The gameplay was good, bit disappointed with quickly regenerating health, but I tried to stay true to retro shooters by becoming the god of pain and hardly ever taking cover. After another ten minutes or so I discovered a shrink ray and a minigun, first reactions being "fucking jackpot".

The demo was really fun and humorous, I especially liked the part with the minecarts, in what seemed to be an homage to the old fashioned physics engines of games where you move objects by running into them, and not pushing a button, and how you enter the minecart by jumping into, and also not pushing a button. The shooting mechanics were a blast of joy in the retched sea of "realism" of Call of Duty, and the interactivity with objects looked promising.

Now, the job of a demo is to make the player want to buy the game, and it did that, fuck you MW3, the king is back. Is it worth the wait, however? I can't be the judge of that, but I do know that this is the most fun you'll have with an FPS until Serious Sam BFE comes out(probably).

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Played it for 25 minutes, got bored, turned it off.

It gave me a little chuckle, but the first thing you do is fight a big beastie by...

... holding down the LMB and waiting for its health bar to go down! So retro! And then there's a little QTE to finish him off.

The driving feels crap, the shooting is bleh, and its got the worst Vaseline smears I've ever seen.

Alon Shechter

Apr 8, 2010
Gonna have to agree with Woodsey, this demo really disappointed me.
Sure, picking a pile of poop and throwing it around was cute, and sure, drawing a cock on the board was fun, but that's about it.
The rest was dull, and the whole "computer game in computer game" joke didn't make me laugh the first time either.

Dark Prophet

Jun 3, 2009
The demo was really bad it had like 15-20 minutes of actual gameplay in it and all of it was in places that trailers had all ready shown us other stuff was just more trailer, so nothing new. And while I didn't expect it to be a graphical powerhouse it looked decent at best and like total ass in its worst. O and the driving wtf, last time I saw so bad handling was in Hummer Badlands. Actually only one good thing was that it had a nice crowbar joke in it. I'm really really sad.

deckpunk

Apr 5, 2011
I enjoyed it but if you don't like shooters this will not be the game that converts you. I would have liked to have seen more gameplay... so I guess the demo was successful.

Brentpool

Jan 19, 2011
The demo was enough to make me cancel my collector's edition pre-order for a regular game. I'm gonna play it just because, but it was grossly disappointing, that should have just named it Call of Duty: Misogyny Edition.

Disclaimer: The misogyny didn't bother me, hell it would have been in-character if the demo was a Duke Nukem game instead of the homogenized load of garbage we got.

lokitheinane

Feb 17, 2011
I enjoyed it. wasn't just shooting things in a succession of identical rooms, so for me, at least, its better than halo 3. and by that I mean "funner", so I'm getting it. the ankle biters annoyed me, as those types of things always do, but the taking the barrels out of the mine cart surprised me. I don't expect much realism in games so when it showed up, it impressed. liked the mine cart riding and the shrink ray, honestly, pleasantly surprised, I figured it was doomed to be unmitigated crap and it was not.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
I honestly thought that it was pretty crap. It didn't make me want the full version. It doesn't bring anything new to the table. It seems indecisive about what it want's to be (Duke Nukem or Call of Duty)and the only funny bit was...actually I didn't think it was funny at all. Overall sloppy disappointment that doesn't try anything that hasn't been done before (and better). Better games have been made with more functional mechanics in a two year development period.

Grabbin Keelz

Jun 3, 2009
chronicfc said:
The whole genre of FPS's depresses me; they are all, more or less, the same game.
Sorry, but you lost all my attention on that sentence.

I watched it on youtube since I couldn't download it on Steam because I refused to pre-order a game JUST to play the demo (fuck you Gearbox) but I gotta say, wasn't anything like I thought (in a bad way). It's not JUST because of health and two weapon shit, but.....well, it was just too linear. Everything is done exactly as the game wants you to do it and there weren't a lot of places I saw to explore or scavenge.
Also, maybe it's because I've been desensitized to Valve humor, but the DNF humor just comes on to me as dry, probably because it was exactly how I expected it to be.

MajWound

Mar 18, 2009
I watched someone else's demo run. After the battle with the cyclops, if I couldn't hear Duke's voice, I would never have known it was a Duke game.

Retardinator

Nov 2, 2009
Here's a little tidbit: The game has more than a few similarities with the Half-Life series.

The smallest detail is that the shotgun reload sound is the same in both games. I've never heard it anywhere else.
The monster truck sequence looks eerily similar to the airboat sequence from HL2. You drive on a linear path while a dropship flies in front of you dropping Combi- errr I mean pigs to run over.

Then there's the physics puzzles, although those are somewhat original.

Some of the mine parts look similar to Episode 2's antlion caves, with the blue reflective rocks. Speaking of antlions, there's an enemy that jumps/flies around/gets bugged and stuck in ground and spits acid in your face from afar.

I swear, swap out a few textures and models, remove the voice and it might as well be Episode 3. Although that game will probably let you hold more weapons than you have eyeballs.

Apr 28, 2008
Saw some playthroughs. Duke Nukem with regenerating health and only being able to carry two weapons is not Duke Nukem.

I don't give a shit who did it, whether it was 3D Realms, or Gearbox. I feel that whoever did it made a huge mistake. Now Duke Nukem looks like every other damn shooter.

If you think Forever is fun, go buy Duke Nukem 3D on GoG.com, and bask in its glory.

I hope this game is either the best thing ever, or the worst thing ever. At least then it'll be noteworthy. But if its as mediocre as the demo, well that'll just be sad...

navyjeff

Legacy
Dec 2, 2010
Country
United States
It seems like it could be a good game, but will fall on its face trying to be true to Duke's persona while not being innovative in the gameplay. I still remember when Duke 3D came out. It was a fantastic game for so many reasons. 15 years is a long time and games have evolved quite a bit. I expect to be disappointed.