Poll: E-Book vs Paperback

unreal51

Nov 13, 2011
I prefer paperbacks because it feels as if I actually own it while an E-Book is just a file somewhere, I do buy E-Books on my Iphone when I'm bored and need something to do

Giftfromme

Nov 3, 2011
Funnily enough, I just did an assignment on this very topic. For me, the size, shape, artwork, weight, and every other property of physical books informs me to the content of the book. A digital copy cannot do the same as it can be altered at any time while this cannot happen to a physical copy. You generally know content wise what you're getting when you pick up a book

nexus

May 30, 2012
Paperback.. for pretty much all the reasons already stated. Feel nice, can collect them, display them, smell them... *sniff*, etc.

Also, you can lose all your books at once with an e-reader, the providing company can also remove books from your account without your consent. They can also edit/revise books without your knowledge... aaand you can't lend out e-books or spark a conversation with someone by looking at the cover of a book they're reading, because they're using an e-reader.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I wouldn't buy an e-book, it has no monetary value to me.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
For years, I thought I'd always have room in my life for hard copy books, and that e-books wouldn't really have a place for me. Then I got an android smart phone and loaded up Moon+ reader (an e-reader app that reads basically every format and is insanely customizable), and long story short, I haven't read a real book since. Eye strain just isn't an issue, since not only is the backlight fully adjustable, but you can change the theme to various combinations of background color/texture and text color, effectively giving you the perfect level of visibility for any conceivable lighting situation. Add that to the fact that I basically always have my phone in my pocket -- and therefore a library of books -- and I've gotten more reading done in the last year than I had in the previous five. It's that big of a difference.

pezwitch

Mar 31, 2009
I prefer ebooks for my books, comics and magazines because I don't have to worry about all the physical paper that used to fill up my house, and it's much easier to search my library now than it was when I had all the books. I had a room filled with bookcases with books stacked two and three deep on the shelves, so it was hard to find anything. I have my kindle organized into folders by topic and then inside the folders by author, so it's very easy to find any book I need.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Hardcovers all day every day.

For a gamer and internet denizen, I have a hard time staring at screen-words for hours. A couple hours on the forums every now and again is all I can take.

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011

Greenshirt's look of absolute smug self satisfaction convinces me. Paperback all the way!

Actually, I prefer hardcover to paperback. Not sure why.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Paperback will always trump e-books for me. I like reading something physical and not worrying about battery life. :D

Kontarek

Aug 1, 2012
Country
USA
Paperback if it's a book I like; eBook if it's just some crap I have to read for school.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
ive never read anything in digital format...in fact I havt read a book for a long time :(

I couldnt imagine reading comics in digital form though

AngelOfBlueRoses

The Cerulean Prince
Nov 5, 2008
ToysforGuns said:
Hey Guys,
I've been trying to get into e-books for their convenience but I just can't fathom starring at a screen full of text for an hour or two, it hurts my eyes. With paperbacks, there's a sense of satisfaction in owning a physical object rather than an electronic file that can be easily deleted or blocked by Digital Rights Management.

What do you strikingly handsome people think? Do you prefer the accessibility of e-books or do the pros of paperbacks outweigh the cons of e-books? Or is the method used to deliver the content pointless as long as you can read the story?
My Kindle 3G, which is, imo, the best e-reader you can get, has absolutely no DRM whatsoever. Honestly, I was of the same fold as you once before, all into the physical object and that nothing was more satisfying than, for instance, the smell of a brand new book freshly bought.

But then I started to really use my Kindle and haven't picked up a paperback book in over two years. There's simply too much convenience in them and I don't even know if paperbacks have any pros over e-books at this point.

Daniel Ferguson

Apr 3, 2010
Paper books are nice and regal and all that, but, I'm running out of room for them all, and it's also a pain to find the right angle to read them on and also I dislike having to use both hands. Ereaders don't have that problem, and I can attach a light to it on the side and this is easier than getting one to work on a physical copy. With a physical copy, I have to attach the light to my shirt - I've found this works best. I like the concept of ereaders... although I haven't got a good one, so I've gone back to paper.

Of course, paper doesn't run out of battery life. But there's pros and cons to each.

Oct 12, 2011
As an avowed luddite and fearer of change (being an old fart and all that), I will state my love of the physical book. Plus, most forms of electronics hurt my eyes after a while and I personally HATE reading long blocks of text off of a screen.

However, I fully realize that the problems I have with reading electronic-based material is being overcome with newer e-readers and that the simple cost of printing/shipping/storing physical books means that more and more pressure will be put towards the electronic side of things.

I fear the time will come that I get some sort of electronic reader, but I will hold out for as long as possible (just out of obstinate stubbornness if nothing else)

AdmiralMemo

LoadingReadyRunner
Legacy
Dec 15, 2008
My huge library of books are almost all signed by the author. The author can't sign and personalize an e-book.

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
Although I enjoy paperbacks, I prefer e-books because paperbacks take up too much space.
The only short coming of a e-book is it is too risky to read in the bath, and needs to be re-charged.