Poll: Ear Stretching

Clobbertron

Sep 17, 2009
Hey guys. I recently got my ears pierced and I have been considering stretching. I was wondering if any of you have experience with this and could give me any advice. Also what are your opinions on the subject?

Dec 14, 2009
I can't wait for the day, when I'm old and grey, and I see other old and grey men and women with huge holes in their ears because they made a short-sighted cosmetic choice :D

You may think flesh tunnels and the like look cool now, but just wait.

Age will make a cynic out of you yet :D

Funkbucket

Feb 11, 2010
7/8" ~ 22mm (depends where you are)

Make sure this is what you want and not just some 'fad'
If you're unemployed and looking for work I wouldn't recommened
As someplaces frown apon them If you're not sure if you're going to like them
stay small.. Check out how you look with them (and make sure you can handle the feeling.)

[Make sure your ears heal before putting a taper in, Clean all equipment - make sure you take it slow and easy - One size jump at a time, then let it heal]

L0dest0ne

Sep 24, 2012
If you're a man, well, the mistake has already been made. If you're a woman, you'll look really bad. Trust me.

LightspeedJack

May 2, 2010
I have 16mm and I love mine. I would say stick to a modest size probably about 12mm but don't go over 16mm. I love the look of small plugs and with time they will shrink and heal if you don't make them too big.

Some words of advice though, take it very slowly. Leave at least 6 weeks before stretching up by two. Do some research online, ask in piercing shops, make sure you know what you're getting into. Good luck!

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
They make you look fucking dumb.
That's all I'll be saying on the matter.

AceDefective

Mar 23, 2009
I don't have them, neither do any of my friends and family.
I will say that they look disgusting and are a poor choice in piercing. Plus they will make it harder to find a job, especially one which involves a lot of people seeing you.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Personally, I think it's a bad call. Unlike tattoos that aren't on exposed skin, you can't hide such piercings. What happens if you need to look respectable on short notice (i.e. job interview, funeral, wedding)? I assume it takes a long time to heal and shrink, if at all.

I guess this is sounding like a sermon so I'll stop. However, just be cognizant of the fact that you might wake up one day in several years from now and realize it was a big mistake. And if that happens to be when you're a lot older, your skin is looser and your body doesn't heal up as fast, you may very much regret your decision.

FootloosePhoenix

Dec 23, 2010
-sees the thread title-
Ear stretching, eh? Never tried that before.
-pulls on ears-
-clicks on thread-
...Oh. Well this is awkward.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Ehh If they're small they look alright. Those GIGANTIC fucking gauges that some people have are just ridiculous though and don't expect my sympathy when nobody wants to hire you. Tattoos can be covered, piercings can be removed/covered, giant stretched ears though... you're fucked.

All that aside I kind of like the way they look but I'm too big of a pussy. Tattoos is as far as I go.

Magical029

Sep 5, 2011
It makes my ears nervous thinking about it.

It looks like it would hurt like hell.

And it looks terrible.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Yeah, I think it looks pretty bad and would never consider doing it to myself.

Don't do it!

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
I have no particular feelings about how it looks. A lot of people hate it but I honestly don't see why anyone would really care. They're just earlobes. If anything I support the practice because I think people who strongly dislike it need to get the hell over it.

StylinBones

Mar 3, 2012
Eat stretching is disgusting. Please do not do it. I don't feel strongly about a lot of things, but this is one that I do. It's disgusting, does not look cool, and leaves you with dangly stinky (word on the street) gross ears. When I think about them, I want to throw up. Please don't so there's no chance I see you and get skeeved out. Please. Don't.

Other than that, I don't care what anyone does. But those....come on....

Razorback0z

Feb 10, 2009
As someone who has spent a considerable amount of time assisting high school students to transition to the workplace, all I can say is this....

You are free to do whatever you want to do. The opinions of the people posting here, including me are just that, opinions. However one thing you need to take into account is that we all see things differently and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

When someone's opinion is just words on a forum like this, it has few or no consequences. However when the opinion is of someone sitting across a table from you deciding whether to employ you, then I think you will find that like it or not, their opinion will affect you.

So please consider what you want to do in life and how you plan to get there. If your going to be a self employed artist or musician, ear stretching could be a good career move. If however you would like to be in a public professional role like customer service, marketing, hospitality or anything that involves representing a brand or company and facing the public, you must be prepared for the fact that some people will judge you on these things and that those judgements may limit your oportunities.

Yes it sucks, yes people should live and let live.... but life isnt like that. People judge and people think their own values are the only ones that count. We all do it.

Just make sure that when you decide to say "screw it Im doing this anyway", you are prepared for the possible consequences.

Good luck

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I don't know the OP's age but since a good chunk of the escapist is in the lower age brackets I'll say this. Don't do it, most serious work places frown heavily on things like this, so unless you get some super awesome independent job, plan to work some sort of retail job or another.

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
Ear... stretching? Why can't you weirdos go back to being hung on stuff with hooks. That was a cool fad from back in 2003.

Oh, by the way:

THIS IS A FAD ALERT: WHATEVER YOU'RE THINKING OF DOING WILL NOT BE COOL IN FIVE YEARS.
If you have received this alert: Go home and take stock of your life to try and find out why you jump on bandwagons.