Poll: Easy difficulty

Peter Langdijk

Jan 13, 2011
The other day is was at my friends house and saw him play a new game.
he popped in the cd an selected easy difficulty, when is asked why he played on easy difficulty he replied; 'What?, i always do that.'
When discussing this with a couple of other friends they said they did the same thing.
Am i the only one who finds this wierd?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I always play on Hard or Normal. These days, generally Hard.

I only use Easy when achievement/collectible hunting.

PurpleLeafRave

Hyaaaa!
Feb 22, 2009
I always play on normal first, then the hardest difficulty second, then easy third just to have a blast and try to get any achievements I didn't get in my first two playthroughs.

For some games I only do the first playthrough and get bored though.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:

Stole the words from my mouth. You dirty thief you glare

OT: I generally go for the normal difficulty. It screwed me over when it came to playing black ops online as there are ALOT of people who are more fine tuned than me... But I'm okay with that

klarax

Mar 24, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:

Same, couldnt have said it better myself

Yuno Gasai

Queen of Yandere
Nov 6, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:

You, sir, have the same gaming habits as I.

The difference is that I often play on Normal to begin with. I like games to present a challenge, but without being so difficult that I want to abandon the game before I've properly played it.

(The one exception would be console shooter games - I still play through the story on Easy because I'm so accustomed to using a mouse and keyboard.)

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Peter Langdijk said:
The other day is was at my friends house and saw him play a new game.
he popped in the cd an selected easy difficulty, when is asked why he played on easy difficulty he replied; 'What?, i always do that.'
When discussing this with my other friend he said he did the same thing.
Am i the only one who always plays games on normal difficulty?
I play normal also, usually easy when just going for achivements:

where you have to only use the missles while in the hind, or kill ten enemies with the flamethrower, so much easier on easy when you are immortal.

Normal is just to get use to the handling of the game. And any difficulty higher is for the challenge.

Calcium

Dec 30, 2010
Personally I try to play on the hardest difficlty possible - assuming there's achievments for completing a game on that level. The first time the story usually will engage me, and encourage me to persevere with the difficulty to see what's coming.

If there's no difficulty achievements I go for normal, as I wouldn't want something overly difficult subtracting from the enjoyment of how the game is supposed to be played.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
Normal to start. Then sometimes Hard if I want a challenge.

But if it's a game like DA:O, and I have played it four times already, and then my PS3 dies, taking all my saves to the grave with it, and then Bioware says, "You can import your DA:O save into DA2"

Well then I scream, ball my fists, and rush through DA:O again on easy.

But usually, that's the only time I use easy. Most games, easy is too easy to be enjoyable.

chopperman

Jan 17, 2010
when I want to just fuck around with a game I set it to easy. theres no point in playing hard mode if you can't have some fun.

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
depends how many difficulty options there are, if the standard 3 im likely to play throu on normal (easy if its like DMC3 so i can see some of the moves that are to hard to pull of on normal) but if theres like 5 difficulties i may be tempted to go one below normal just in case

OmegaAlucard777

Sep 20, 2010
I usually play on easy. You can have soo much more fun with a game when you aren't worrying about dying so much. It really makes the game more enjoyable in my opinion. Then once I beat it on easy, I move up a notch to Normal, then hard. Then again, that's just me.

Penguinness

May 25, 2010
I'd usually put it on normal, but in some cases like DragonAge, I got really bored, switched to easy and a dual-wielding warrior, and just sliced my way through the game with ease.

Then I like to go through some games on hard or insane modes if I like them once I've finished them.

MoNKeyYy

Evidence or GTFO
Jun 29, 2010
If I'm doing a legit playthrough it's always normal or hard difficulty, depending on the game. Easy is what I revert back to when I'm going back into a game just for the fun of decimating some piss easy opponants or dicking around.

ChipSandwich

Jan 3, 2010
2nd highest or highest difficulty for the first playthrough for any genre which I am familiar with. Anything less and you are not manly. To remedy this, you must play Gears of War repeatedly for 48 hours without sleeping and your only sustenance is whole chillis, raw meat and 3 bottles of cheap whiskey.

Well, that's for any game released in the past 5 years. They tend to bump down "Normal" difficulty to a somewhat easier state. Harder than Hard difficulty depends on the game in question. Any old games I just pick whatever is "default".

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
I always start on the easiest difficulty, then go to the hardest difficulty. (I use the easiest difficulty to figure out where everything is and what weapons/units I'm proficient with, then kill everything dead on the hardest.)

Usually I die a few times in the beginning, due to no longer being the tank I once was, but its what works for me. (Dead Space 2 is a good example. I did the game on Casual, then started a new game on Zealot. Died 2-3 times total between both difficulties.)

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Easy should be the default these days and the game should be built for the harder difficulty levels then with easy as the default the game no matter how well built and polished will still be playable to the drooling masses!

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
normally i play on normal but if the game has a really hard part i am sometimes forced to go to easy.

also sometimes ill play on easy if i want to expirence the story of the game but dont want to be bogged down in hard boss fights etc

L3m0n_L1m3

Jul 27, 2009
Depends on the game, really. If it's something like ME2 or COD, I'll play on the normal or hard setting. If it's something like Dead Space 2 or STALKER, I'll play on easy until I get used to the game.