Poll: Eccentric eating habits

Mistilteinn

Jul 14, 2012
I just kinda eat in whatever order I want. If there's bread, I usually have a piece at the beginning and end of the meal (unless it's garlic bread or crescent rolls, then all bets are off), but outside of that I just eat whatever's in front of me (unless it has a lot of cheese, yuck).

I guess any eccentricities I have are that I don't like my food touching, mostly because mash potatoes+green bean juice isn't all that appetizing, or whatever combination you can think of. I also have no problem eating leftovers cold--seafood, noodles, pizza, meat, egg rolls, bread, etc. The only leftovers I don't eat cold are tacos and soup. No one else in my family gets how I can eat a shrimp egg-roll cold, but whatever. I like it =P

Lethos

Dec 9, 2010
EeveeElectro said:
Also salad cream on EVERYTHING.
My brother does this as well and it's disgusts me to no end. Just the smell of that stuff makes me want to leave the room. That's not even getting to what it makes the food look like.

Then again I have tonkatsu sauce (sort of BBQ sauce) with smoked salmon, so perhaps I'm not one to talk.

Nuxxy

Feb 3, 2011
cerealnmuffin said:
I can't stand mushy food or food touching each other.
Yeah I'm like that. Don't mix the stuff. If you want it mixed, cook it mixed.

Related to that, I never have gravy. And tomato sauce only occasionally on 'chips'. I keep it separate and eat it separate.

Oct 2, 2012
when I have mashed potatoes I eat around the edges first until there is only a thin and tiny volcano shape holding my butter/gravy. My family considers this weird.

Otherwise not really. I do eat extremely quickly though. I'm usually done eating my meals in 5 minutes while everyone else takes about 15 or 20.
Food just kinda gets shoved down my throat :p

I also think Barbeque sauce tastes great on Mac and Cheese and many who haven;t tried it consider it weird and disgusting.

Oct 12, 2011
I am a food segregationist. Different types of food should not touch. My perfect plate is a military food tray with the raised sections to keep things apart.

After arranging my plate properly, I focus on a single food until it is gone, then move onto the next one. Generally vegetable first, potatoes and gravy next, finish with the meat.

To add to the fun, I am the type of person George Carlin was referring to when he said " 'Fussy Eater' is a euphemism for "Royal Pain in the Ass' " I HATE certain food types. I don't care if other people choose to eat them, but I will never understand why they make that choice. Peas, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, yogurt and tofu are all things that shall never pass my lips again if I have anything to say about it. You want them? You eat them. Leave me out of it, you perverted individual.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
SlaveNumber23 said:
I have a bit of an obsession with having clean hands, so I always try to eat food using cutlery when I can. I eat pizza with a knife and fork and even eat nachos with a pair of forks. As a result of this, popcorn is my worst enemy.

Also I always eat my favourite item of food in a meal last and my least favourite item first.

So does anyone else have any weird little eating habits like mine?

An easier way of eating stuff like nachos or popcorn without your hands is using chopsticks actually. When doing things that demand clean hands I will do that, that's not really "eating" though and I don't mind the messy elements when I'm sitting down for a meal. As long as it tastes good that's enough for me.

As for like, particular things...hmmm...I always mix my pasta, I can't understand how people like, put a plop of sauce on top and don't mix it up but just eat it like that with all the sauce on the center and half the pasta unsauced. If I see that it drives me insane.

Also, I love bananas but I always remove that little black thingy they have on the bottom before eating them, I dunno why, same with tomatoes and stuff, I don't like eating those things that look like segments of the stem from either the top or bottom of the tomato.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Lethos said:
EeveeElectro said:
Also salad cream on EVERYTHING.
My brother does this as well and it's disgusts me to no end. Just the smell of that stuff makes me want to leave the room. That's not even getting to what it makes the food look like.

Then again I have tonkatsu sauce (sort of BBQ sauce) with smoked salmon, so perhaps I'm not one to talk.
Yep, I get a few disgusted looks off people when I eat it. I'm not overly keen any any other sauces, I can have it over everything whereas most sauces are for specific things (tomato for bacon, BBQ for chips, Sweet chilli for chicken etc)
I'm just odd, as a kid I used to eat frozen bread rolls, gravy granules, hot chocolate granules, whole beetroot, pickles out the jar one after another, whole boiled eggs... Surprised I didn't make myself ill sometimes.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I don't know if it's eccentric but if there's sauce on the knife I'm using then I will lick it off. I've almost cut my tongue a few times because of this, but it might be because I do that all the time.

Another is that I will eat one item at a time on my plate until it's all gone, and that's normally the one thing that I'm not really a fan of eating.

Gotta save the best food item for last. :D

Bestival

May 5, 2012
Back when I was still living with people that bothered making actual meals (my parents) I used to eat meat first(my favourite), then taters, then vegetables, then more taters if there was still left and I wasn't full yet... Then more vegetables if still left and me not full.

Now I cut out the middle man and just eat meat most of the time ha! Sometimes I eat at work, during a late shift, but all that food is so horrid I tend to mix that stuff up just to taste the individual terribleness as little as possible.

Pizza, when at home, I don't use cutlery on. Not even for slices. I just grab that big bad boy and start munching away. Either that or rip parts off it, like a really flat chicken or something.

I also use as little in ways of plates as I can, this to cut back on dishes. So often if I make something like macaroni, I'll eat it straight out of the pot.

Damn, it's great to be a bachelor.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
DANEgerous said:
I apparently eat weird because I have my fork in my right hand and knife in my left stab it cut it and just eat it. I have been told this is wrong an American and bad manners you are supposed to cut with your dominate hand put the knife down the re-stab it with your for and eat because that is how correct Americans with manners eat... or something.
It's more or less the only sane way of eating for a right-handed person and I can't understand how anyone would want to cut food with his right hand instead. This annoys me so much that the first thing I do in a restaurant when I sit down will actually be to switch cutlery to the proper positions. I've numerous times been asked if I'm left-handed based solely on seeing me cutting food...
But then again I am kinda ambidextrous but not the one where I can do everything with both hands, only the lame one where I can do certain tasks only (or much better) with the "wrong" hand.

Anyway, I don't think I have any worthy eating habits apart from my obvious hate of cutlery hand etiquette. Unless you want to count how I always stretch a single quarter litre glass of drink over my entire stay in a restaurant. But I suppose that is more of a cheapskate thing than eccentricity.

cerealnmuffin

May 15, 2010
Binnsyboy said:
cerealnmuffin said:
I can't stand mushy food or food touching each other. I swallow a lot of my food whole (though cut into reasonable pieces). I'm never hungry, but I have a near insatiable thirst. I sometimes "snack" on pure salt and view regular eating as a chore that I often forget to do.
Maybe eating salt is why you have an insatiable thirst.
That is probably a big reason though I don't do that often. I'm also in the "severe anorexia" bmi and I've read that being very underweight increases thirst and hunger signals shutting down.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
I generally eat my favourite food last, and a little throughout the meal, and if there are multiple favourite foods I tend to eat them sort of co-operatively, but the one thing that will never change is I get rid of the stuff I don't like first, whether that involves eating it or removing it. Onion can fuck right off. I will go through my meal with tweezers if I have to, but any substantial pieces of onion do not enter my mouth. Of course by that stage it's already been cooked in and the meal is ruined, but I do what I can...

Actually, that brings me to an interesting conundrum of mine. How did onion become such a widespread ingredient when it blinds the person preparing it? I like to think the very first person to eat an onion took it as a challenge, and used it for everything they ever made out of spite.

Quaxar said:
DANEgerous said:
It's more or less the only sane way of eating for a right-handed person and I can't understand how anyone would want to cut food with his right hand instead. This annoys me so much that the first thing I do in a restaurant when I sit down will actually be to switch cutlery to the proper positions. I've numerous times been asked if I'm left-handed based solely on seeing me cutting food...
I generally cut with my right and stab with my left and I'm right-handed, but then I just eat from the fork in my left hand. Apparently it's more pervasive in the US, I've never thought that manner of eating implies dominant hand so strongly. Although I think it's also important to note that table manners can go to hell, you should eat the way you're comfortable eating. I eat chips with my fingers, f*** the police, and I have my elbows on the table too because otherwise I'm resting my forearms on the tablecloth and it pulls the tablecloth and is unnecessarily problematic. I also hold my spoon like some sort of neanderthal.

ATRAYA

Jul 19, 2011
I NEVER let any food touch any other food. I can't even eat sandwiches, it tastes too weird to me. When my family does have sandwiches, I will always just eat the individual parts separately. Things like pizza are okay, though... If it's cooked all as one item, I don't mind it, but when any or all parts of my meal get mashed together (i.e., my peas or steak sauce gets into my mashed potatoes) I will FLIP THE TABLE.

Well, not literally... But it's not how God intended! What are we, SAVAGES!?

ATRAYA

Jul 19, 2011
DANEgerous said:
I apparently eat weird because I have my fork in my right hand and knife in my left stab it cut it and just eat it. I have been told this is wrong an American and bad manners you are supposed to cut with your dominate hand put the knife down the re-stab it with your for and eat because that is how correct Americans with manners eat... or something.
I've heard that is the correct etiquette, but I always just eat the way I feel most comfortable. Being ambidextrous, I switch between fork-left and fork-right without even noticing. Sometimes I'll even... *Looks around*
*Whispers*: ...I'll even put my elbows on the table! :O

ATRAYA

Jul 19, 2011
MeChaNiZ3D said:
I generally eat my favourite food last, and a little throughout the meal, and if there are multiple favourite foods I tend to eat them sort of co-operatively, but the one thing that will never change is I get rid of the stuff I don't like first, whether that involves eating it or removing it. Onion can fuck right off. I will go through my meal with tweezers if I have to, but any substantial pieces of onion do not enter my mouth. Of course by that stage it's already been cooked in and the meal is ruined, but I do what I can...
I've always been curious about that as well. With SO many people who hate onions and mushrooms, why are they used so often? WHY!? Onions are the scourge of the Earth!
Ten-to-one they cause cancer or something...

People say I'm a picky eater, and they can't make anything for me; that I'm difficult. I just tell them to LEAVE OUT THE ONIONS AND I'LL EAT IT. They never listen... "You don't like ANYTHING! Wah wah wah!"

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Always save my favorite food for last. I eat fairly quickly though. I don't believe in "savoring" the food or taking a million chews until it's just a mush of saliva and soggy food.

zefiris

Dec 3, 2011
I cook my own food. Always.

I am the only one at work (game company, 200+ people) that doesn't order food, I just bring my own. Thai-based food, Japan-based food, Ukraine-based food, all entirely selfmade. I actually had to get a microwave placed just for me (though some people use it to heat their instant food stuff they bought)

That seems to be pretty unusual, actually cooking properly. I hate processed meals, I want the taste to come from actual food, not from chemistry.

Next weird thing: I count calories obsessively. No, I'm not a diet nut. Far from it. I do so to make sure I eat enough. If left to my own devices, I'd eat some fruits, some salad, and I'd be done. Unfortunately, that kills my organs to lack of nutritition, so I have to count to make sure I at least eat enough/day :/

fletch_talon

Nov 6, 2008
SlaveNumber23 said:
As a result of this, popcorn is my worst enemy.
Tongs are the answer my friend.
I had some flavoured peanuts a while back, messy as hell and I was scared of getting crap all over my computer and stuff. Until I realised we had a small set of silicon tipped tongs in the kitchen drawer. You probably don't need silicon tipped ones but they might help hold the nuts/popcorn better than a smooth metal surface.