Poll: Elder Scrolls Online, a few weeks after release.

Maxtro

Feb 13, 2011
I've been playing since release and I'm having fun with it.

I'm playing it completely like a single-player which is frankly all I want from it. The worst thing about the game is the other people. I hate fighting monsters and then other people start fighting it too. I hate doing quests and see that three or four other people are working on the same exact objectives as me. I hate going into dungeons with other people running around. It kills all of the challenge. The bosses in dungeons are camped and die in two seconds. The game would be so much better if I could just play in my own instance and with a few other people that I invite.

Questing is fine, with several quest hubs scattered around the map and a few major quest chain that have you going to various areas, fixing problems as you travel.

Playing in 3rd person, combat is fine. Weapon swapping works well. I carry a bow and a set of dual-wielded weapons.

I have not tried the PVP. Generally it's just not my thing.

Overall I like the game, but I really wish it had an offline mod. Truthfully, I just want another single player Elder Scrolls game.

Issurru

Jun 13, 2010
I bought it and I'm having a blast with it, way more fun than I've had with the last two "REAL" Elder Scrolls games.

As far as his gripes go. I find a lot of them to be rather off the mark
- Grouping. Sure it isn't mandatory to walk around with a full party all the time but there's no reason not to since you get a nice xp bonus and lets you clear everything faster. It's only pointless to those who want to play it as a single player MMO.

- Linear Questing is a toss up, it's been feeling more linear the more I play, some quests feel linear while others less so. But that's also something I find in all the recent Elder Scrolls games and those aren't even MMO's

-Can't help friends, you can help friends complete quests if you've done them. The only instance I've noticed that I can't is when I've done something like save a town by doing its entire quest chain so it sets me up in a different instance. Even then I'm not 100% sure its supposed to do that, it probably is but I don't know.

-Tons of glitches and bugs. I haven't ran into anything I would remotely classify as "game breaking" But I'm normally lucky in this department. I've only fallen through the world once and gotten stuck inside someone else's spot when I fast traveled. Both instances required a /stuck and that was it. almost everything I've encountered can also be fixed by a /reloadui or logging in or out. While very annoying it could be much worse and possibly is, just not for me.

-Enemies drop barely any gold. Not exactly a big deal about that, only thing I spend my money on is inventory upgrades, the rare repair and that's it. Just because the game doesn't throw money at you like most others doesn't mean it doesn't give you enough. Had I saved my money for a horse I could have easily bought it with a few hours of farming/crafting since that's where most of it comes from, that and questing.

-Imperial behind 20 dollar paywall, good mounts almost impossible to grind for, urging you to pay real money to get them, etc. I will agree that the Imperial thing being a preorder or CE bonus is rather stupid and serves zero purpose other than to be a dick. The mounts being impossible to grind for is just a straight up lie.

-Floaty first person combat, and overall the combat doesn't have as much impact as he'd like. Eh, I play in Third Person mostly, the combat feels the same as normal Elder Scrolls so sure I guess?

-Graphics are 'passable', not even 'good'. While this one is somewhat (and I use that term very loosely) a personal thing, He must have had the game set to minimum because I think the game looks great when it's cranked up to max. I have no idea what he's bitching about there.

-PvE has a lot of pointlessness and underwhelming 'bosses' for normal quests. Level design is apparently pretty poor later on. A sense of discovery and wonder is only rarely found. I've been somewhat over-leveled in PVE so the "bosses" were kinda easy, but that's also my fault. My friends have had some trouble but not much to my knowledge. Level design seems to be fairly standard. As for the sense of discovery and wonder, that's a personal thing. I'm loving exploring Glenumbra and Stormhaven looking for every little lorebook and skyshard I can find.

-Game constantly breaks immersion, mostly because it's an mmorpg. This one is self explanatory, I don't think this is really a point at all, kinda hard not to break immersion in an MMO too many variables.

When this game was announced I was surprised that they were going to make it, I had zero interest in it since I haven't liked an Elder Scrolls since Morrowind the game pleasantly surprised me and has me nicely hooked. Is the game perfect? Hell no, is the game good? I'd say that it is.

Captcha: Fire + Brim Stone I feel like its trying to warn me about getting burned at the stake since I like this game when so many people seem to hate it

Jhonie

Oct 24, 2011
Requia said:
Everything I need to know about ESO:

It has a subscription fee *and* a cash store.
Yees. a "cash store" with only two things in it: Upgrade your account to Imperial Edition and a Horse. That you can already buy in-game if you're dedicated.

Really, no. That's ALL THERE IS. Not much of a cash shop. It's an upgrade for people who want the meagre IE digital bonuses and an option for lazy people. That's not exactly what I'd call much of a cash store. It's not even avalible in-game.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
I've noticed... beta testers hate it, but launch-date buyers love it. I wonder if that says something about the kind of person who jumps at public betas, or if they made some DRASTIC changes the moment the beta ended. My friend in England can't put the game down (and missed a D&D session I was running), but my roommate hates it, and is in just about every open beta.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
If they got rid of the subscription I would jump on it in a heartbeat. I have to stick to my principles, for no reason should a game on consoles have a sub. I don't know what platform I would get it on if they did drop the sub though...

norashepard

Mar 4, 2013
I enjoyed the beta well enough but yeah I don't think I'll ever buy it, sadly. The only MMO I play is Guild Wars, and even that I only ever played solo (you get pro real fast when you have to rely on shitty computer allies). ESO was a cool idea, with a mediocre execution, at least for an MMO. If it had been single player, and not a TES game, people probably would like it more.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
LOL
I didn't know it was out yet.
Also, I could've told you it was going to suck. That was obvious.