Poll: England vs. USA (Football World Cup)

selce

Nov 27, 2007
We already kicked your butts in WW2, cheerio...lets do it again!

GO USA!

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Go Donovan! :)

I'm gonna go USA. Hey, the US has beat England before. I'd like to root for the underdog since everyone and their greasy granny is rooting for England.

TheRocketeer

Intolerable Bore
Dec 24, 2009
Scarlet Knight said:
selce said:
We already kicked your butts in WW2, cheerio...lets do it again!

GO USA!
I hear the crys of a million history teachers wailing as one...
To be fair, we needed to develop both the cruise missile and trench warfare to stand a chance against England and their Hessian mercenaries, and even then Kennedy practically had to beg the Czar for help, which didn't really help our standing with the Zulu Nation considering General Patton Oswalt had just got done tearing their homeland apart to take back the Panama Canal.

Musclepunch

Jan 9, 2010
Valkyira said:
Musclepunch said:
Valkyira said:
Musclepunch said:
martin said:
The English Didn't invent Football.

I live in Nottingham which has the world's oldest football team (Notts County) which I'm proud of.
No, Sheffield FC is the world's oldest football club.
Look up Notts County on wikipedia. It's the worlds oldest club.
Yes but Sheffield FC is the oldest association football club.

gallaetha_matt

Feb 28, 2010
D_987 said:
Everyone knows England won the world cup in 1966 - everyone knows the names of many of the key players in that team - do you really want the likes of John Terry, Steven Gerrard etc to be remembered in such a favourable light? Hypocrites that have contributed nothing to society but tacky newspaper headlines should be remembered for decades over a sporting event. Of course, it's the sort of thing the media builds up, but that doesn't make it right - the players attitudes towards such attention, and the impression they give to the younger generation (Wayne Rooney's constant swearing and hassling towards the referee) displays role-models we could do without.
Yes. Thank you. I couldn't put it better myself. Especially the part about Rooney - he plays dirty, rarely gets booked for it and when he does he blatantly swears in the ref's face without any punishment.

Remember kids, it's okay to break the rules and treat people like shit as long as you're good at sport.

I still support the team though, don't get me wrong.

OT: England will win it, I reckon. We've got experience on our side.

Plus (he adds in jest), Americans call the game 'soccer.' Kinda hard to win when you don't even know what sport you're playing.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Ho I can't wait for next Saturday for the match. I'm not a big Football fan but when it comes to the world cup... well it's that one time every few years where we are free to have all the national pride we want. Where we can say borderline racist or xenophobic comments without looking like an idiot (by racist I mean calling which ever country we are facing names and such). Also it brings the family together for beer, food and football. Great times.

I'm going to be getting my England kit out and hanging an England flag out my window in national glory. Though we've had a bit of trouble with that of the recent, seems hanging our flag out is offensive to foreigners living here. The council have been round asking people to pull down their flags... come on, our flag... we aren't allowed to hang our flag out?... that really is PC gone. Not a racist or a xenophobe but I think they should go to the houses of those that complained with a big book of flags, let them pick out a flag that doesn't offend them... then ship'em off to there.

Okay my national pride aside. I think England will win against America. America look as if they are coming up but they aren't really much of a match for England. Not to blame them though, there not a culture of (Association) football players... we are, England... well we live and breath football. We'd probably had won the rest of the world by now if the players got there act together.

notyouraveragejoe said:
ENGERLAND ENGERLAND ENGERLAND!!!!!!! I'm English and I really think we're going to win. I mean we've been playing well and I feel we're on a streak (cept for the shakey games against Japan and Mexico). I'm hoping Heskey's form blows in on a hot streak and we actually play Rooney in a striking position (against Japan he was attacking midfield). England are actually one of my top picks to win it.

Other picks:

Argentina
Paraguay
Nigeria (I always support Nigeria. Always, even though I'm not Nigerian since I really like their players)

So yeah. ENGLAND!!

Good show sir... good show.

alxhrmn

May 28, 2010
I'm expecting (and hoping for) an English victory - we're one of the world's highest ranked international sides, and to lose to a country where football is not the primary sport would be a real killer.

However, although we did have a very good qualifying campaign, I felt the team wasn't quite as convincing against Mexico and Japan, and as the injuries slowly rack up it could turn out to be a much closer contest than many had originally forecast.

Hikaru CF

May 28, 2009
I think England will have to have a really bad day to lose to the USA. Although, I do like Landon Donovan and he could cause England problems.

I'm English and I think when it matters, we can play well as a team and I think during the world cup we'll go far but I don't think we'll win it, nor do I want us to because I want the team that plays the best football to win, something which England will not do anytime soon.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
Alucard 11189 said:
I come from the UK and I intensely dislike football (I do love Baseball, American Football and Ice hockey though).
And you're a girl as well!? You have made my day. I had better leave it at that because I'm beginning to swoon.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
If I didn't go for option 3, I would have voted England, because England is football.

And those Americans took the name and attributed it to some game where you run around with a ball(sort of) in your hands. And then had the guts to come up with a new name for football.

/rant.