Poll: Escapist book thread!

Burig

Nov 8, 2010
Are you reading a book at the moment? Have you been reading one recently?

What book is it, who's it by?
What's it about?
Are you enjoying it?

I'll start!
What book: - Breakdown - Katherine Amt Hanna
About: After the majority of the world has been destroyed by a disease, there is a group of people who aren't infected and have managed to set themselves up in a farm. One of the group finds someone they knew from before, and assumed was dead. Thre's a bit of tension between the two characters, but not sure why.
Enjoying: It's okay, I want to know why they're annoyed at each other, and am a fair bit into the book, but haven't found out yet.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
What book:Watchmen-Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons (artist).
About:Superheroes.
Enjoying:Hell yeah I am. I'm reading it over and over again to pick up on things I didn't get my first read-through.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
I'm currently reading the Destiny's Children series by Stephen Baxter, just finished book two. My favourite is the first however:

Book: Coalescent - Stephen Baxter
About: Two separate plots. One storyline runs in modern time, following a mediocre guy who finds out he has a relative who was taken away by some secretive church organisation. The other storyline runs in the collapse of the roman empire, and follows a girl living her entire life pretty dangerously, and eventually making it to rome before its sack.

I won't spoil the book anymore, but it's just a phenomenal read, especially when you consider the scale of everything. The books are only really linked by being in the same universe, and mentioning a few pages of similar events, but it just links together so well!

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Yes, I love books, I read a lot of 'em, both fiction and non-fiction...

So, at the moment

Military non-fiction: Wellington at War: In the Peninsula by Ian C Robertson. It's about... well, read the freakin' title. It's pretty good thus far, though the pictures mid paragraph are bugging me a little.

General non-fiction: Hannibal's War, aka Ab Urbe Condita: Bks 21-30 by Titus Livius Patavinus =P , I'm counting this as general history because it's more of a literary annal/piece rather than a military analysis (Polybius, on the other hand, though fucking hell why are there only fragments of Bks7-11?!). Again, read the title, and I'm loving it.

Fiction: Behemoth by Scott Westerfeld, only just started it and it's the sequel to Leviathan which was a retelling of the start of WWI in a steampunk alternate universe and from a more personal perspective. Great ride, here's to hoping it continues.

Death Carr

Less Than 3D
Mar 30, 2011
What book: Skullduggery Pleasant: Kingdom of the Wicked
About: What appears to be a group of teenagers with suddenly acquired magic powers being douchebags
Enjoying:Even though I'm only a few pages in, hell yeah!

xshadowscreamx

Dec 21, 2011
what book:watch you bleed by stephen davis
about: guns n roses, a street gang to world domination
enjoying: even if your not a fan its still interesting

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
Book: Spice and Wolf v1(Light Novel)
About: A man and his companion travel north while having economic adventures.Also his compainon is a harvest/wolf goddess
Enjoy: Yes, The main characters have great chemistry and the world/economics is/are interesting.

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
SckizoBoy said:
Fiction: Behemoth by Scott Westerfeld, only just started it and it's the sequel to Leviathan which was a retelling of the start of WWI in a steampunk alternate universe and from a more personal perspective. Great ride, here's to hoping it continues.
I salute your impeccable taste once more. Massive Westerfeld fan, but only read that series this year.

As for me:
Book: A Storm of Swords: Part 2 - Blood and Gold (A Song of Ice and Fire)
About: It's A Song of Ice and Fire. You've heard of it.
Enjoying: Not got into properly yet, been reading some lighter books in the meantime. I suspect I'll dig into it properly on holiday, and likely enjoy it.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
TheBobmus said:
I salute your impeccable taste once more. Massive Westerfeld fan, but only read that series this year.
My thanks, good man! Also got his space opera, Succession (in two parts, The Risen Empire & The Killing of Worlds) which I'll be chomping through shortly as well.

Henriot

Dec 15, 2011
What: The Once and Future King - Comeplete Edition. T.H. White
About: King Arthur and a chunk of the legends attached.
Enjoying: Very much so. I read it as a kid, then a recent Escapist podcast they mentioned it and I felt that Arthurian itch.

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
book: A Game Of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire
about: it's hard to say, there are about 6 stories going on at once
Enjoying: I am enjoying it quite a bit, I saw the TV series first though, so I already know what happens, but it's interesting to see the contrasts and changes and any stuff the show may have left out, I'm reading it slowly like a chapter or two a day, but I've just finished the chapter where Syrio is introduced

TheFinish

Grand Admiral
May 17, 2010
What: "Swords and Deviltry", by Fritz Leiber
About: Short stories dealing with everyone's favorite fantasy pair, Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser. Specifically, their first adventures together.
Enjoying: Yes. Just as I did when I read it the last three times. I mean seriously, look at dat cover:

yeti585

Apr 1, 2012
Book: The Plague
By: Albert Camus
why: School project (curse having English first semester.)
about: A French town in Africa is hit with a plague

I found the book to get going at one point, and then abruptly stop.

JayElleBee

Jul 9, 2010
What Book: Pretties
By: Scott Westerfield
About: It's the second book in a trilogy, following Uglies. It's set in a dystopian future where everyone is forcefully given plastic surgery at the age of sixteen (I think) to look 'Pretty'.
Enjoying: Not as much as I liked Uglies. It's a little hard to get into, what with the main character's deeply vapid personality. Hopefully it'll become more manageable later.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
I'm currently reading two books:

What book: It Worked For Me
About: It is a collection of many of the life lessons, stories and experiences of Colin Powell during his tenure in the military and politics.
Enjoying: Not too far in but thus far, it's a good read. Being in the military myself, it's interesting to read the perspectives of a 4 star who was once in the same position and rank as me.

What book: Bourne Ultimatum
About: It's the final book in Robert Ludlum's Bourne Trilogy. Jason Bourne has to face and eliminate his archenemy Carlos the Jackal once and for all, if he is ever to live in peace with his family.
Enjoying: I already read it a decade ago. I remember really liking the trilogy back then but tastes change because right now, I'm kind of ambivalent towards it.

robotam

Jun 7, 2010
Well I've actually just finished it but
BOOK: John dies at the End
ABOUT: After taking a mysterious drug "Soy sauce" David Wong and his best friend John are able to see the monsters that we don't notice.
Enjoyed?: Hell yes. One of the funniest books that I have ever read.

Antitonic

Enlightened Dispenser Of Truth!
Feb 4, 2010
If we're listing all currently reading books, I'd be here forever, so I'll just use my most recent one.

What book: Round The Bend - Jeremy Clarkson
About: Car reviews/social commentary.
Enjoying: Yeah, it's alright. I'm not a huge car nut, so some of the language goes over my head a bit, but I'm a Top Gear and Clarkson fan, so it's not enough to put me off.

TheKaduflyerSystem

Feb 15, 2011
What Book: Harpy Thyme by Piers Anthony
About: A winged Goblin girl and her struggles to find a partner
Enjoying: I've already read it a dozen thymes but I love re-reading books. Spotting the puns is a great hobby.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I just finished reading one actually:

What Book: Discworld: Snuff
About: While on Holiday with his family, Samual Vimes of the Ahnk-Morpork Watch stumbles upon a crime that's been going on for years, that's deeply embedded in the town he's visiting and, which technically isn't a crime at all. At least until Vimes gets involved and rights the many wrongs having been ignored.
Enjoying Very much so! The only thing I didn't like was how there wasn't a Death cameo.

Yesterday while on a car trip I started reading something else.

What Book: Identity Crisis (Trade Paperback/comic - DC Universe)
About: Sue Dibney, wife of The Elongated Man, has been murdered. Who did it? Why and, How did they get to her without appearing to have forced entry through a door or, window?
Enjoying: So far I am, even though I know what happens thanks to Atop the Fourth Wall (Linkara's Comic review show which focuses on bad comics)

I'm reading a couple of other Comics at the moment too like Detective Comics # 618 - 621 (Batman: Rite of Passage), Earth 2 #4 and, World's Finest # 1 - 3. I think I may have a few more single-issues in my backlog to get through before I can justify buying more comics which is always a good thing (or so I keep telling myself)