Poll: Escapist: Can you drive a Manual?

Seraj33

Jun 18, 2012
In Sweden it is law for all driving schools to do their tests and such with manual.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
Belaam said:
an annoyed writer said:
Belaam said:
Don't really have a preference except that I dislike that you can't jump start an automatic if the battery is dead.
What is this nonsense? My last car was automatic and I had to Jump-start it multiple times from a deader-than-dead battery. and that was a 1993 Saturn SW.
Sorry, I meant push start it: put it in neutral, go downhill or push it until you're doing 5mph or so, pop it into first, and it starts. Totally used the wrong word,you can jump start either with the aid of another car.
Ah, okay. That makes much more sense.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
AccursedTheory said:
I cannot.

My father went out of his way to not teach me, and the Army doesn't have manual trucks, so I never had a reason to learn.
Back in my day...

I had to drive a lot of deuce-and-a-halfs... or M35 [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M35_2%C2%BD-ton_cargo_truck]s, if you wanna get technical. Most of the ones I used were built in the 50s. Very odd granny low on those things. I guess the active army finally retired 'em... but they're still in use by my local guard unit.

Not that I'm here to extol the virtues of the cable clutch (though my daily driver has one. Makes maintenance cheap and easy)... I'm more of the mind that we should be moving away from internal combustion engines, and electrics don't need transmissions. My ability to synchronize foot and hand movements in a seated position will be academic soon enough.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Manual, but live in the UK so its the norm here. Having driven both I much prefer manuals you have far better control over what you are doing.

As for the hill start thing well it is going to become a moot point sooner or later, more and more cars are now coming with electric handbrakes as standard which release once you reach a certain amount of revs going forward which makes hills easy, my current car has one and its like using cheatmode or something.

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
Manual. I have never driven an automatic, how do you do it? Just put in "D"? What are those other number and letters?
asinann said:
The real question is how many of you can double clutch.
I do it when I need to downshift from 4th directly into 2nd, I don't think it's otherwise necessary in modern cars.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
loc978 said:
AccursedTheory said:
I cannot.

My father went out of his way to not teach me, and the Army doesn't have manual trucks, so I never had a reason to learn.
Back in my day...

I had to drive a lot of deuce-and-a-halfs... or M35 [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M35_2%C2%BD-ton_cargo_truck]s, if you wanna get technical. Most of the ones I used were built in the 50s. Very odd granny low on those things. I guess the active army finally retired 'em... but they're still in use by my local guard unit.

Not that I'm here to extol the virtues of the cable clutch (though my daily driver has one. Makes maintenance cheap and easy)... I'm more of the mind that we should be moving away from internal combustion engines, and electrics don't need transmissions. My ability to synchronize foot and hand movements in a seated position will be academic soon enough.
We used FMTVs [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_of_Medium_Tactical_Vehicles] and M939s [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M939_Truck], both of which were automatics (And the M939's were the 'new' deuce and a halves).

Loved the M939. Driving one of those felt like you were at the wheel of an Apocalypse. If you drove off road, you have to drive standing because the seat's had too much spring to them.

Sealpower

Jun 7, 2010
I drove an automatic once... it was the second worst experience of my life, felt like I had no control over the car what so ever, like the bloody vehicle had a mind of its own and intended to kill me!

So, yes. Manual all the way!

PleaseDele

Oct 30, 2010
Sealpower said:
I drove an automatic once... it was the second worst experience of my life, felt like I had no control over the car what so ever, like the bloody vehicle had a mind of its own and intended to kill me!

So, yes. Manual all the way!
Right there with ya. I had no idea what to do with my right hand. It just kept going for that stick to shift gear. At other times I just got so bored driving I noticed I wasn't paying enough attention to other drivers.

So yeah, driving stick for me!

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
asinann said:
The real question is how many of you can double clutch.
No synchros in most M35s... and I once drove a 1960 Morris Minor (for about a week, actually. I was borrowing it) with no synchros. Not the most efficient shifting, but doable.

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
Yep, my Subaru is a stick-shift. took a little getting used to but now the only thing I don't like is getting moving from being stopped on an incline. That moment before you engage the gears and the car starts to roll backwards...

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
I don't drive. I do have a driver's license and I did learn on a manual transmission. This was almost 5 years ago though. So technically, I CAN drive and I CAN drive a manual, it's just that I hate driving.

Plus I got my licence in mainland Europe and I now live in the UK so attempting to start driving again would most likely get me killed.

Serinanth

Apr 29, 2009
I learned with a sloppy three on the tree. I don't care for automatics, stick is way more fun and engaging.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Over here most people seem to drive auto due to lazyness, I however will only drive manual and considering my car is a Holden Commodore SSV Redline, getting it in auto would have been criminal :p (It's a sports car like a Mustang for those none Australian's out there).

sandangel

Jan 2, 2011
I know hypothetically, since my brother showed me how the pedals work, but I have no practical experience with a manual transmission.

Stg

Jul 19, 2011
It's odd. I work in the oil field and as such, I had to get my Class A CDL with HazMat, Tankers, etc. and I can drive a 90,000lb semi-truck (tractor+trailer) with no problem, but when I tried to drive my girlfriend's standard Honda Fit, I barely made it one block.

Then again, semi-trucks are geared much lower than standard cars so you can just let off the clutch slowly and the truck will drive itself.

Vicarious Reality

Jul 10, 2011
Who the F is Steve McQueen

I cant not drive a manual gear car, i can not even remember seeing an automatic gearbox in real life

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
Vicarious Reality said:
Who the F is Steve McQueen

I cant not drive a manual gear car, i can not even remember seeing an automatic gearbox in real life
Steve mcqueen is only like the coolest guy ever. He was the american guy in the great escape and he was in a film called Bullit where he drove he mustang through san fransico