Poll: Escapist: Can you drive a Manual?

frobalt

Jan 2, 2012
I'm another Brit, so of course I can.

As for those saying it's harder to drive manually: I originally passed my test in 2009 and only drove once between that and getting my 1st car in August last year, and it didn't take me long at all to re-learn clutch control. I've been driving just less than a year and shifting gear is second nature to me. It takes me less than 2 seconds to shift gear, easily.

Also, how many auto drivers that think manual drivers are elitist are just feeling insecure about themselves?

Tiger King

Legacy
Oct 23, 2010
Country
USA
Zakarath said:
Yep, my Subaru is a stick-shift. took a little getting used to but now the only thing I don't like is getting moving from being stopped on an incline. That moment before you engage the gears and the car starts to roll backwards...
that's what the handbrake is for :D

shootthebandit said:
Vicarious Reality said:
Who the F is Steve McQueen

I cant not drive a manual gear car, i can not even remember seeing an automatic gearbox in real life
Steve mcqueen is only like the coolest guy ever. He was the american guy in the great escape and he was in a film called Bullit where he drove he mustang through san fransico

ford did an advert for the puma based on the film if I remember right?

my fave film quote of his was from a film whose name I cant remember sadly. But anyway, in the film the girl he had been with tells him she is pregnant, and after an awkward moment he says 'well, congratulations' before walking off.
he really did a good job of showing how much of a douchebag that character was.

Qwurty2.0

Apr 21, 2011
frobalt said:
Also, how many auto drivers that think manual drivers are elitist are just feeling insecure about themselves?
Probably the same number of manual drivers who think auto drivers are inferior to them. :/

I am only a man

Feb 25, 2011
I learned how to drive in a stick, and took my driving test in an automatic. It was an odd adjustment to make so suddenly.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
i drive a grand caravan minivan, i think those things doesnt even come with a manual transmission. but most of the new cars i've tried were auto, but you could force the system to gear up and down if you wanted to.

i had a manual car once. for 12 hours. one fo my freind give me his dad old car, a 1985 rabbit diesel VW (we were in 2003) that havent been on the road at all for at least 3 years. he learn me how to drive manually, wich i had some trouble with, then i tried to come home with my new car, and the transmission fluid began to leak everywhere. it sums my manual experience...

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
I tried to learn. The thing is that my dad is a terrible teacher and I only have a 1986 suzuki samurai.

The thing is we still understand how the Samurai managed to work to this day.

Unia

Jan 15, 2010
Well considering in my corner of the world I would not have gotten a driver's licence at all without knowing how to shift gears, yes. Never driven automatic.

Bonecrusher

Nov 20, 2009
Driving Courses teach on manual gear cars. So, I've learned driving with manual.
However I hate it, I always prefer automatic gears.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
I am from the UK too, so yes I can drive a manual. I don't trust these new age automatic mumbo jumbo people drive, they put me on edge and I feel like I'm doing something wrong whenever I have tried to drive one. I feel that there is a lot more control over a manual. I trust when I can feel the clutch of the car.

Wolf Hagen

Jul 28, 2010
Manual all the way!
From the humble beginnings of my underpowered Jetta, up to anything else, the only exeption of things I drove that haven't had the gearlever, was a really HP happy Mercedes I had to drive for a night (600HP. O.O).

and once I talked to an engineer, why all those upper class limos barely have manual anymore, he just told me: you know from your first driving days, that false gearshifting, made the car a bit wobbly and shaky, down to engine failure.
if you do that with about 500 or more HP, it may easily happen, that the engine doesn't care, but the gearbox just gives in and crumbles under your car in a nice straight line to broom up. Or break the transmission axels if we're talking about tuned up cars.

Final thing: theres reason for Automatic, but it is just way out of use for me. Gimme manual and I'll be happy.
And yes: Prolly even on trucks with 16 gears (once I would be allowed to drive those).

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
Well, since i am European: I learned on stick and 3 of my 4 cars so far has been manual.

(The other one was an automatic because it was first the car of my grandfather, who had a bum leg and couldn't shift)
Newer cars with automatic gearbox are way more numerous though - i can't afford newer cars.

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
In my country, your practice driving needs to be done with a manual car. Or, rather, it can be done with an automatic car, but then you get a "limited" license that only qualifies you for driving automatics. And that kinda sucks.

So, yes, I can drive manual.

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
Scrumpmonkey said:
Entirety of Europe here. Yes we can. They are just straight better. Outside of "urrrrrr it's really haaaard, i don't wanna learn to drive properly i just want to push the peddles and go like an eight year old in a go kart" there is really no reason to not have a manual gearbox.
Don't get it.

One's easier, one's harder, why the elitism?

Daniel Janhagen

Mar 28, 2011
Yeah, I drive a manual, but I don't like it. Automatic is clearly superior in all the ways that matter to me, and I hope this is the last manual shift car I ever drive.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
Of course. From my perspective, it goes without saying. Everyone here learns how to drive a manual, unless they have some sort of debilitation that prevents them from doing that (and I've never actually met anyone like that).

We have both manual and automatic cars in my family, and while I love driving my Audi with the automatic gearbox, I think it's legitimately silly to not know how to drive a manual car.