Poll: Escapists: What did you score on the ACT/SAT?

afroebob

Oct 1, 2011
mokes310 said:
afroebob said:
mokes310 said:
To be honest, the ACT/SAT metric is a bit daft. Like I said, I scored a 21 or 22, really can't remember, and finished school Magna Cum Laude. A buddy of mine scored a 36 on the ACT, bounced out of college after his first semester and hasn't returned since. It just goes to show that your score is only one very small part of who you really are.
Naturally, I'm not saying that I'm going to get a 32 and then just skate through college. Its just that I hope that my high scores will help me get into the college.
"Can you pay for college? Yup. Come right this way..."

That rings true for a fair portion of public colleges and universities in the US, so don't sweat your ACT/SAT. It really isn't that big of a deal.
I don't know how much you know about UCLA but they aren't one of the 'If you can pay you can join' colleges, they only accept 22% of applicants and have very high standards. They're one of the best state schools in the country.

Oct 2, 2012
Never took them!
All I had to do to get into my current college was pass a couple placement tests! And I got out of the English one for scoring a 278 (out of 300) on the English portion of the HSPA (some stupid type of test as well.
Scored a 240 on the math and I needed a 250 to get out of the math placement test :/
So close :/
Then I failed the math placement test (only 12 questions for math) :(
Still got in, I was just placed in two remedial classes. And I was 1 point from getting put into only 1 remedial class instead of 2.

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
afroebob said:
mokes310 said:
afroebob said:
mokes310 said:
To be honest, the ACT/SAT metric is a bit daft. Like I said, I scored a 21 or 22, really can't remember, and finished school Magna Cum Laude. A buddy of mine scored a 36 on the ACT, bounced out of college after his first semester and hasn't returned since. It just goes to show that your score is only one very small part of who you really are.
Naturally, I'm not saying that I'm going to get a 32 and then just skate through college. Its just that I hope that my high scores will help me get into the college.
"Can you pay for college? Yup. Come right this way..."

That rings true for a fair portion of public colleges and universities in the US, so don't sweat your ACT/SAT. It really isn't that big of a deal.
I don't know how much you know about UCLA but they aren't one of the 'If you can pay you can join' colleges, they only accept 22% of applicants and have very high standards. They're one of the best state schools in the country.
Lived in LA for three years, and applied to all the UC schools before I went back to WI. I got in as a transfer and they didn't even bother asking for my ACT score. It IS one of those schools if you're a transfer. That's what I'm saying though, is that the standards are far different if you're a transfer versus an incoming, "proper" freshman. Don't worry about it, you'll get in.

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
I got a 1570 on the old SAT format, aced my English. I took the writing, but it was one of its first years, so colleges pretty much ignored it and thus I can't remember what I got on it.

No ACT for me because as far as I know, the ACT is only a midwest thing.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
1290...I think... on the old SAT. I got a 690 on math, but engrish was never my strong suite.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I got a 22. I got great scores in reading and writing, but alas my terrible math and science skills really killed me. Doesn't matter anyway, the school I'm going to doesn't have a min requirement on the ACT to get in.

bl4ckh4wk64

Walking Mass Effect Codex
Jun 11, 2010
First off standardized tests are a large part of college acceptance, but they're not as important as everyone thinks. Your GPA and work ethic are weighted much more heavily than the test. One of my good friends got a 2360 on the SAT and he's in community college because he didn't get in to any other ones.

OT: I got a 28 first time on the ACT then a 29 the second time. SAT (new one) was 2000 first time around and like 2100 second time around. It doesn't add up comparatively, but I think it was because of the differences in the tests. The SAT is about tricking you while the ACT is more about recalling information.

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
Most older folks?!?! Get off my lawn, ya little squirt!!!

I only took the SAT once and scored 780 in math and 650 in English (so that's 1430 total). Probably could have snagged a better English score on a second run, but I couldn't be bothered to take it again.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I don't remember my SAT but it wasn't that great since my language skills were god awful, but I did get a 32 on the ACT. The ACT tormented me for the longest time because I'd get perfects on 2 sections and do atrocious on the other two.

Ashhearth

May 26, 2009
I took the ACT once as a sophomore and once as a junior scoring a 24 and a 29 respectively. Seeing as the national average for the ACT is a 21? yeah I'm pretty happy. Also getting close to half my tuition paid for via scholarships so I would say I'm pleased as punch with myself.

null_pointer

Mar 14, 2013
I started taking the ACT in the 7th grade, I received a 21, which was the national high school senior average at the time. Once I went through high school, I ended up getting a 31. What I found really interesting was the percentile that your score gave you. Even though I was 5 points off of the max, I still scored higher than 98% of the nation. I find it interesting that a difference of 5 points in score could only account for 2 percent of the population

necromanzer52

Mar 19, 2009
Well, I don't know about these american systems, but I got 445 in my leaving cert (Out of a possible 600), which is a fairly decent score. It got me into college at any rate.

Really, these tests are largely unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

King of Wei

Jan 13, 2011
Owyn_Merrilin said:
King of Wei said:
Right around 1300 on the new SAT. Not great but good enough for USF!
That University of South Florida, or University of San Francisco?

Because if it's the former and you're involved in either the videogame club or HvZ, we probably know each other through Facebook, if not personally 0.o
University of South Florida. Not in any clubs yet though, my first semester was strictly for getting used to the place. Definitely getting into the videogame club in the fall though. And holy crap HvZ looks fun! Might explain the random people I saw running through the social science building last semester too.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
Pinkamena said:
What's an ACT/SAT? Some sort of test?
Both are tests that colleges like to see on your application. That's all there is to it.

OT- I just took the SAT 3 weeks ago and got myself a nice 1900. I'll try again to attain a perfect score as June arrives.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
I got 720 verbal and 580 math on the old SAT with < 1hr of sleep and still drunk from funneling beer the first time.

Apollo45

Jan 30, 2011
I'm between perfect and the next option, although I chose perfect because I was closer to that on all counts. I got a 35 on my ACT, purely because of a 34 on the science section. Everything else was perfect. On my SAT I got a perfect math score and, a 770 on the writing, and a 780 on the writing comprehension or whatever, so that added up to 2350. That was five years ago though.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
I believe I got something between 900 to 950 on the old Sat. I don't remember exactly. It didn't matter because I was all set to go to a two year university that accepts anyone and then later after I graduated from their I transferred to a four year school and graduated from there as well.

I was just glad that I beat average time that in normally takes people in the US to get a four year degree. It took me six years and the average is seven years. The US's encouragement to the young that all should go to college after high school is one of the reasons for that average, but I think the real heart of the matter is hosed up curriculum that most colleges in the US have where the students have to take at least two or three classes of almost every flavor of subject, no matter what the students' majors are. Well rounded individual my ass, they just want to keep people there longer so they get more money. Physical Education(gym class) should not be a required class in college. I didn't learn anything new that I hadn't learned in grade school gym classes. The only reason I can see that they require it so that people that chose to be gym/health professors actually have people to teach, because if they didn't require such classes, the only people that would end up taking them are people in college sports for training purposes and health nuts, and that is a very small percentage of people.

To the young people on this forum that haven't got to college yet:

Don't believe your teachers or anyone else that tells you that colleges/universities are where you go to focus your studies on the one thing you want to do. That is a bullshit line.

30%, and that percentage looks to be growing, of your college classes will have nothing to do with your major. I was an English major, so I didn't mind my English core non-major curriculum classes at all(the base comp class, 2 literature, and a speech class), but when on top of that I had to take, two math classes, two lab sciences, two history, psychology, sociology, a gym and health duo class, philosophy, and a base humanities class(art history and whatnot). It's worse if you an "of Arts" degree instead an "of Science", because for the "Arts" degree as the moronic added core requirement of four semesters/classes of a foreign language. Even at the base, that is over one year of classes taken up by that stupid core curriculum. That's a year that could be used for more important endeavors like more time looking for work, or extra major classes that actually are useful.

Okay whatever, I got off track and rambled, but I really do have serious grudge against college curriculums, that stupid foreign language requirement was the reason I couldn't major in creative writing(because that is an "of Arts" degree). I had to do a Rhetoric and Writing degree and take creative writing classes as my electives, so I didn't have to waste my time and money on useless foreign language classes that I would never use.

Pinkamena said:
What's an ACT/SAT? Some sort of test?
Guffe said:
The what?
SAT, ACT? Are we preparing to take over the world and these are our strategies?

The hell is this...
Well for a non-american and someone who doesn't have English as their mothertongue.
I can figure out this is a test of some sort, now I just need someone to explain to me what kind of test we're talking about...
ACT/SAT, are basically standardized tests that are jumping off points to getting accepted to different colleges/universities in the US. Most big name schools will not even look at you unless you have and insanely high score, though of course they aren't the be all and end all after that. I knew a guy that got a perfect score on the SAT and he was rejected by Stanford.

Austin93

Sep 17, 2012
In South Australia we have the SACE tests, which give an ATAR score out of 99.95. I got a 96 and graduated Dux of my class. Pretty happy with that achievement

kickassfrog

Jan 17, 2011
afroebob said:
Time to put your wits to the test! Or rather, time to show how well your wits did against everyone elses!

OK, heres how the poll works, I have it set up by ACT/Old SAT/New SAT. The ACT is simple, just your ACT score. The Old SAT means the one that was well... the old one. It was scored on with a max of 1600, was only 2 parts and did not have the writing test, its the one most older folks would have taken, although I think some places do still use it.

Most younger people would have taken the new SAT, which is mostly the same but it has a third writing test and has a max of 2400. Basically if you got in the mid thousands on your SAT but that wasn't very good you have taken the new one, if that was really good you took old one.

Anyways, have at it and TELL THE TRUTH! We don't wan no peoples lyin bout der intelergance, and if you have taken more than one of the three tests just use the one you scored highest on. If you can't remember the exact #, just take an educated guess.

Anyhow, for me I got a 30 on my ACT. Nothing to be ashamed of but I'm going to try again for a 32, hopefully it will be enough to get into UCLA :)
I'm British so I didn't do that.
I realise nobody asked, but I'll be buggered if I don't weigh in on a "How well did you perform in a test several years ago" thread.