Poll: Extra Consideration

Defeated Detective

Sep 30, 2012
I'd really like to see the return of this column, especially now when everytime I read Yahtzee, MovieBob and Jim Sterling's reactions(IN THEIR OWN VOICES) I have this image of them arguing inside a white room trying to convince you on what their take is on the current subject SMT three wise men style:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYDZ1DmCiKc&feature=player_detailpage#t=242s

Edit:*Yahtzee
Edit2:Here's a link to those who are unaware of the existence of the column:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extraconsideration

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Eh, I was never a great fan of the column really. They all seemed to agree with each other most of the time and I can't recall any real arguments between them, plus each column seemed far too short but each's paragraphs far too long for a proper conversation. Their personas didn't carry over particularly well either. If they could change it to a format of shorter, snappier posts with more contentious debate subjects, then perhaps.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
It always felt a bit stilted and awkward to me. I don't know if they really engaged with each other and the writing styles are so different it would be really jarring.

Plus it really sort of shows up the fact they're just three opinionated guys. (not that it's wrong, but sort of part of the reason their opinion columns work is they get to display them in an environment where it feels like they've got some sort of weight)

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
I think a voiced discussion would work much better.. The written one didn't feel like it brought the best discussion.

irani_che

Jan 28, 2010
I would like to see them come together to discuss something only when there is a current controversy. Rather than have it a weekly thing.

Ideally, any two journalists who have opposing or different views on a subject could make this column

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
If you want to make the column more exciting... you should try inviting a developer that's not held in too high regards with Yahtzee or Sterling to debate or discuss an issue or popular mechanic in video games. That's something I and many other others would love to read or watch!

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
They need people of more varying opinions. Yahtzee, Jim, and MovieBob have such similar opinions on so many things that it doesn't spark anything other than nodding and agreement. Also, make it a podcast.

Spambot 3000

Aug 8, 2011
I think I'd rather just watch Jimquisition for discussions on thingies, Zero Punctuation for hyper-critical reviews and absolutely nothing that MovieBob is associated with at all.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
JoJo said:
Eh, I was never a great fan of the column really. They all seemed to agree with each other most of the time and I can't recall any real arguments between them, plus each column seemed far too short but each's paragraphs far too long for a proper conversation. Their personas didn't carry over particularly well either. If they could change it to a format of shorter, snappier posts with more contentious debate subjects, then perhaps.
Hmm... a good point...

another option would to put them into a skype discussion and record it. That could also work.

Defeated Detective

Sep 30, 2012
Spambot 3000 said:
I think I'd rather just watch Jimquisition for discussions on thingies, Zero Punctuation for hyper-critical reviews and absolutely nothing that MovieBob is associated with at all.
MASTACHIEFPWN said:
Leave moviebob out of it and it'd probably be good.
I don't know why MovieBob shouldn't be included, if you've read his column in Extra Consideration, his opinions in videogames are just as valuable as Jim and Yahtzee's, in fact, if there are two persons in the column who would agree with each others opinion, it's most likely Bob and Jim(hilariously, both happen to be two portly fellows and both happen to be in the US).

JoJo said:
Their personas can't really carry onto the column because they're all equals, Jim can't play as an asshole, Yahtzee can't play as a cynical brit(although he still does his best) and MovieBob's opinion is limited to the fact that Extra Consideration is dedicated to video games, not film. At best, what I see in Extra Consideration is not Jimquisition, Zero Punctuation or The Big Picture, what I see Jim Sterling being Jim Sterling, Yahtzee posting his daily Extra Punctuation except its not only his opinion about the topic at hand but also his replies to Bob and Jim and MovieBob being posting his opinion as a gamer instead of a film critic.

Overall, they don't need to use their personas because it's not a slamming match, it's a discussions amongst equals, there are no enemies or rivals, it's just 3 persons we respect and the opinions they have to give on one common subject.

Spambot 3000

Aug 8, 2011
Defeated Detective said:
Spambot 3000 said:
I don't know why MovieBob shouldn't be included, if you've read his column in Extra Consideration, his opinions in videogames are just as valuable as Jim and Yahtzee's, in fact, if there are two persons in the column who would agree with each others opinion, it's most likely Bob and Jim(hilariously, both happen to be two portly fellows and both happen to be in the US).
I just don't like MovieBob and I respect the opinions of Yahtzee and Jim more. If the column had the opinions of only Yahtzee and Jim I may still not end up reading it as I think the Jimquisition does a good enough job in the area that this Extra Consideration dabbles in. I mean, I'm not saying that it would be a bad thing to have that (although a third person would be nice) but I just wouldn't work up the enthusiasm to read such a thing when I already have a video series that covers all that stuff for me.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
I feel like they've got a lot on their plate already that the columns won't be that good. It's not that I would hate it if they did actually bring it back, but maybe they should stay with what they already do well, and not retract from that.

Besides, it makes their panels at the expo that much sweeter.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Stuff like that really needs to be far more conversational, like RPS' group chats.

From what I read of those columns they never actually disagreed on anything, it was more like they were trying to build one cohesive argument between three of them.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Spambot 3000 said:
The thing is, you're only saying that with Escapist experience. His other internet alias is 'The Game Overthinker' and he's been a regular contributor for a long time to Screw Attack. He's been doing exactly the same opinion pieces as Yahtzee and Jim since 2008
http://gameoverthinker.blogspot.de/2008/04/episode-one-matter-of-character.html

Sure MovieBob has training in films. But that's just highlighting the fact that actually Yahtzee and Jim and most people who talk about games don't actually have any training in the subject at all. The idea of game theory (=D) is really recent compared to the idea of film theory and places where you can learn theoretical game design have only just started springing up. Bob has the same relevance as everyone else, a lifetime of playing and thinking about games.

I guess people like Extra Credits have a background in games, so it's not a complete wasteland and maybe as time comes we'll have more professional/ex developers start columns and so on which will be cool

Spambot 3000

Aug 8, 2011
BrotherRool said:
Spambot 3000 said:
The thing is, you're only saying that with Escapist experience. His other internet alias is 'The Game Overthinker' and he's been a regular contributor for a long time to Screw Attack. He's been doing exactly the same opinion pieces as Yahtzee and Jim since 2008
http://gameoverthinker.blogspot.de/2008/04/episode-one-matter-of-character.html

Sure MovieBob has training in films. But that's just highlighting the fact that actually Yahtzee and Jim and most people who talk about games don't actually have any training in the subject at all. The idea of game theory (=D) is really recent compared to the idea of film theory and places where you can learn theoretical game design have only just started springing up. Bob has the same relevance as everyone else, a lifetime of playing and thinking about games.

I guess people like Extra Credits have a background in games, so it's not a complete wasteland and maybe as time comes we'll have more professional/ex developers start columns and so on which will be cool
Oh I know perfectly well of his Game Overthinker doohicky (admittedly, I haven't read any of it, however I see no reason to do so now), but I simply do not like him. I'm not saying his opinion on a subject matter of games is invalid because he's called 'Movie'Bob but rather that Jim and Yahtzee are yet to give me a reason to stop listening to what they have to say as opposed to MovieBob. I don't necessarily disagree with everything he says, it's just that I don't want to bother viewing his content. Like I said before, if I want opinions and discussions on stuff, I'll go watch Jimquisition. If anyone else wants to know MovieBob's opinion on controversial gaming subject #134 then I have no qualms.