Poll: Fable 3. Yes or No?

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
So Fable 3 is £7 on steam right now and I am not sure I should get it. I loved F:TLC and Fable 2 had ok parts so should I get 3?

If it is as good as 2, (would have to be really bad to be worse) then I will likly get it as A: I am curious and B: I am really, really, really, really, really, really bored.

Feel free to tell me why you do/do not like it but the poll will do if you cannot be arsed.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
Honestly, it's about as good as 2 only a bit worse in the way the magic system was stripped back even further and it has this insane clunky menu system. So with the choices you've presented I guess you should, but have you really played everything else? What about Mark of The Ninja or Metro 2033 or Terraria or Xcom or Dishonoured or Spec ops or Witcher 2 or Dark Souls or Alpha Protocol or Walking Dead or Legend of Grimrock or New Vegas and the DLC. Or older games such as Morrowind, Planescape Torment, Sacrifice, Fallout.

The list of games better than Fable 3 is extremely long and many of them are available extremelt cheaply and easily. But no, Fable 3 isn't a total disaster.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
Honestly.. No. It really isn't a good game. The RPG elements suck, character interaction sucks, the menu system is the worst ever, the weapon evolving system is terrible, the moral choice system is laughable (every choice is just a stupid extreme of good or evil), The map is shit, it feels rushed (especially when it just skips ahead like half a year when you are king), the antagonist is terrible and literally pulled from no-where, all your choices have no bearing on the plot whatsoever. I could go on but just don't get it. It's not even worth that price.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
I haven't played it and I really, really like Fable: TLC (don't own a console, so I couldn't play 2). But I didn't play it for a reason - the people above summarised what I didn't find appealing when I did a reasearch - it's not a bad game but it's not the game I want. I was mostly disappointed by the magic system being essentially eradicated, so I'll say this is really what stopped me from getting it. But to elaborate - you now have three types of attacks - melee (with weapons) for close range, ranged (with ranged weapons...duh) for long range, and magic (with...just sparkly stuff) for medium range. So that's the entirety of magic in Fable 3 - sparkly attack. If you don't mind that...you could get it, I suppose. At least I would, if I had spare cash and was bored.

recruit00

Sep 18, 2010
ShinyCharizard said:
Honestly.. No. It really isn't a good game. The RPG elements suck, character interaction sucks, the menu system is the worst ever, the weapon evolving system is terrible, the moral choice system is laughable (every choice is just a stupid extreme of good or evil), The map is shit, it feels rushed (especially when it just skips ahead like half a year when you are king), the antagonist is terrible and literally pulled from no-where, all your choices have no bearing on the plot whatsoever. I could go on but just don't get it. It's not even worth that price.
Pretty much what he said. So much streamlining from 2 which was already weakened enough. It's so repetitive. Nothing in the game feels fun to do. Combat is boring, earning money is just guitar hero with crappy songs and audiences and not as fun, leveling up is horrendous: oh you talked with people around the world? You can be the Archmage able to light the entire world on fire in one blow. Logic! Avoid this game like the plague. King section blows too. The choices are so bad. Because of how binary they are, it is impossible to save the world like a good guy without being a landlord or playing guitar hero nonstop. There is no grey area so you can cut spending on stupid stuff or things like that. DUmb.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
If you enjoyed the first and/or second game then you'll probably enjoy 3. There's not much depth, but it has a lot of charm and is fun in a mindless way. Just a warning, the PC controls really suck so only get if you have a controller you can use with the PC.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
Oh lord no, I normally give games a decent chance to impress me, but with Fable 3 it only took half an hour for me to think that I was totally done with the game, and it wasn't going to do it for me.

I really wanted to like them as well, because Fable: The Lost Chapters is one of my favorite games, but the two fable sequels are total and utter disappointments in every regard. Fable 3 just takes all the bad things about Fable 2 and just multiplies it by a lump of turd.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Depends on what you want from it.

The setting does feel distinctly Fable, and it does continue the whole Hero bloodline thing.

The gameplay is rather different though in a number of aspects. For one, you unlock everything on "The Road to Rule", which counts as your level up screen - that you have to walk through to get to each upgrade, which is kinda annoying. You spend "Guild Seals" that you unlock by, killing things, talking to people and completing quests - and opening chests sometimes - to open chests on this path that upgrade certain things.
Melee is rather simple. You upgrade melee damage with all weapons on the Road to Rule over a series of 5 chests, and there are no extra attacks or effects to unlock. You merely have your normal attack, your charged up attack, and your block.
The same goes for ranged combat - five upgrades, nothing else, normal attack and charged attack.
Magic is unlocked in the form of Gauntlets at various points along the road to rule, and is a bit more interesting. You can merge two spells together with a late upgrade on the road to rule, it features the same 5 damage upgrades on the road, and you have your normal attack, charged attack, area attack, charged area attack for all spells.
Note: Charged attack for all combat types is simply the normal attack, just with greater effect.
Spell variety is kinda meh though IMO. You get fireballs, lightning strikes that stun, the ability to call down an ice storm over someone, the ability to throw magical swords at people, the ability to knock people back, and the ability to pick people up in a whirlwind.
There are 4 potion slots. The first is for health potions, the second for food, the third for 'Summon Minions' potions [Basically a summon minions spell, but its a lootable potion rather than an actual spell] and a slow time potion [Same deal as with the Summon Minions potion].

Character interaction with NPCs is the same as always, and you have to unlock any expressions but the basic ones on the road to rule.
You have to unlock the ability to buy houses and businesses on the road to rule as well, as well as the ability to woo people and get married I think.

Buying houses is done normally, but to buy items you have to walk up to a pedestal in a shop with the item on it, examine it, then buy it. To sell you need to go to a Pawnbroker, say you want to sell your stuff [To the empty air near the pedestals, not the shopkeeper], and then walk between several pedestals holding your stuff, examine your stuff, then sell it. Annoying TBH.

The control scheme on the PC is... meh. Its not good, its not terrible. WASD to walk, left click for normal attack [Hold to charge it], right click for special [Block with melee, First person aim with guns and Area attack for magic {Again, hold to charge}]. E is to interact with things, and 1-5 is used to select different options in all aspects of the game. 1,2 and 3 are also used to swap between Melee, Magic and Ranged weapons respectively. - and = is used for navigating between sections in what accounts for your inventory [Pedestals or statues with items on them], I.E: Swapping from Clothing to Tattoos, whilst [ and ] are used to swap between different sections within that menu [For the menu will only hold 5 types of items, and if you have more than 5 items a new section will be added with that item that you can swap to with those buttons]. F1-F4 are used to drink potions. Somewhat counter intuitive, but not that terrible.

The story is nothing special. I'm not going to spoil it for you, but its very Fable - and by that I mean it just follows the same blooming formula the other Fable games have down to several of the blooming missions. Yes, this means you will fight in another arena.
The pacing of the story, however, is IMO pretty poor. Without spoilers at one point you travel to a new land and the game says "It might be a while before you get back", so you expect you'll probably be doing a few missions over there. Nope, 1 mission then you're back home. More can be done during the King part of the game, but there's only 1 city there and 3 areas overall. The revolution section is also rather short, consisting of 2 quests, and a few court rulings to be made [Generally 1 or 2, plus one in the treasury each day], and after this is done the day is over. Saying more would be spoilers so I won't, but really the whole game seems to just rush through things.

Speaking of the King section, it is rather meh overall. It works as a conclusion to your promises made during the game, but is really... Kinda bleh.
Each choice comes down to keeping your promise to people and spending hundreds of thousands from the Kingdom's treasury [Totalling up to you needing to gain an extra 2 million gold, even after the 400K that is there initially and the amount earned by the Missions you are given during your time as King], or breaking your promises to fill your coffers with hundreds of thousands, and at one point a bit over a million, dollars. There is, however, a reason that you need as much money in your coffers as possible 6 "Days" [Lore wise 1 year, but you only get 4-6 actual days where you are playing King before this, the time in between happens off screen {Or you could go out adventuring before going to court and pretend those are the days that passed}] into your reign, though I won't spoil it. For the best result, however, you need 6.5 million in the Treasury. After this time you are still king, but there are no more court sessions or anything of the sort.

Hopefully this gave you a bit more insight as to whether you should buy it than a simple "Its great" or "Its crap". If you have any more questions, just ask.
Personally I enjoyed it enough that $7 seems alright for it, but it wasn't brilliant by any means.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
There are over 30 reasons not to buy Fabel 3. Angry Joe lists them here.
<youtube=oSaw85bliyQ>
Yeah.

SirDeadly

Feb 22, 2009
Looks like I'm the odd one out here who actually enjoyed the game... I did play it on xbox although that shouldn't make a difference. For £7 what have you got to lose (besides £7)?

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
SirDeadly said:
Looks like I'm the odd one out here who actually enjoyed the game... I did play it on xbox although that shouldn't make a difference. For £7 what have you got to lose (besides £7)?
Well, playing a much more enjoyable game? And actually owning a much more enjoyable game.

OK, it's personal preference, really - as I said, the magic thing was my biggest setback otherwise I probably would have risked it. As it stands, I'm waiting to get even cheaper than that to give it a go. I mean, I can certainly wait - I can still play Fable: TLC whenever I like, anyway.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
Gizmo1990 said:
So Fable 3 is £7 on steam right now and I am not sure I should get it. I loved F:TLC and Fable 2 had ok parts so should I get 3?

If it is as good as 2, (would have to be really bad to be worse) then I will likly get it as A: I am curious and B: I am really, really, really, really, really, really bored.

Feel free to tell me why you do/do not like it but the poll will do if you cannot be arsed.
Don't bother at all, its worse then 2. all combat is simplified ever further and the choices have been limited to the point of option A or option B. do you want to use the fast hitting sword or the slow destructive hammer? do you want to the quick reloading pistol of the long range rifle? the only plus it got in my book was the magic system where you could combine spells to make more powerful ones but even then there is no mana bar so you can just spam the crap out of it. health works like Call of duty or Gear of war and if you die don't worry about it there is little to no penalty to it. and any choice you make makes little to no difference as long as you have the money to protect everyone.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
It's worse than 2 in nearly every respect, ESPECIALLY the story and ending.

I know, it is damn difficult to top Fable 2's ending in terms of how horrendous it is, but 3 is really, truly worse.

It is very poorly designed.

cambamuniverse

Jan 2, 2012
saintdane05 said:
There are over 30 reasons not to buy Fabel 3. Angry Joe lists them here.
<youtube=oSaw85bliyQ>
Yeah.
I freakin' hate that guy.

OT: Honestly, it isn't the best Fable game. I enjoyed Fable II a lot more in terms of design, and Fable I had all those medieval fantasy elements that are awesome, but I had a good time with it. Some stuff to explore, good music, a handful of fun quests and easter eggs that I really enjoyed.

I will tell you that it is no where near the best game ever, but I enjoyed myself.

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
dude for $12 bucks how can you go wrong? sure what people are saying about the shitty menus and crap magic and stupid dog and pointless options are all true but i got it on the cheap one of these past sales and i loved it for some reason i dont really understand myself so yeah

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Magic was cut back a hell of a lot, and it doesn't feel as open world as 1 and 2 did...but it's definitely worth it. Personally, I thoguht Fable 2 was an incredible improvement over 1, but 3 feels like it was a decent sequel made by a different studio who at least tried to make an effort.

CommanderL

May 12, 2011
its horrible Someone already listed angry joes video above give that a watch as it higlights many of the problems but it forget that the charcters where unmemorable and the story made lil sence

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
It does to fable 2 what fable 2 did to fable 1. So don't get it, it's a streamlind piece of crap.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
shockingly bad

Avoid like it's got the plague! (Which it may have)