Poll: Fable took the wrong turn?

OriginalLadders

Sep 29, 2011
Fable was good but I think Fable 2 was easily the best. Fable 3 added some interesting things but took out parts which made Fable 2 so good.

I refuse to buy Journey because I consider the kinect to be entirely pointless. I'm looking forward to Fable 4 though.

EDIT: Also, Stephen Fry as an immortal amoral bisexual pirate is quite possibly the best character ever.

Rylot

May 14, 2010
I never really got Fable:TLC to work on my computer properly so I never played it, but I always liked some of the mechanics and ideas from 2&3. I liked how your character physically changed by what you did in game (it kinda fell flat when everyone started looking like Russian weightlifters by the end) I liked how the world changed depending on your actions as a kid in 2. I liked the idea of having a family and kids, but you couldn't really do enough with them to make a real connection. I liked how you could get scars from being knocked out. I've always hoped that someone else would take these mechanics and put them in a game with better combat and story mechanics (I liked 2&3's stories well enough but they both took some missteps in how they presented them).

BartyMae

Apr 20, 2012
Fable: The Lost Chapters was the most enjoyable to me...but then again, I never heard a single thing about it before I got it. Fable 2 was announced, listened to all the things they said about it, was majorly disappointed when it came out due to the blatant lies. Did not follow Fable 3 at all, but Fable 3 was so underwhelming that it hardly mattered. I don't even know anything about Journey.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Loved the original Fable. Along with Knights of the Old Republic, it was one of the games that brought be back into gaming when I played it on my friend's Xbox in college. I still go back and play it sometimes.

I hated Fable 2. It's still the most disappointing game ever for me. It killed all my interest in future installments.

Jynthor

Mar 30, 2012
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Fable was good.

Fable: TLC was great.

Fable 2 swayed between alright and good.

Fable 3 was meeeh, not really worth playing.

Fable: The Journey... I don't even know.

That's my opinion on the series.
I agree with this. Although I greatly enjoyed Fable 2 and 3 was OK I guess.
But the first one had the most charm... Except for fart jokes. Get rid of that shit, Lionface.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Fable was good.

That really covers it pretty well. I think one of the biggest disappointments to me was how each game seems to dumb down the Magic options.

Fable TLC was one of the few games where I started playing and didn't wanna go to bed that night to stop playing

Fable 2 I finished...eventually, and Fable 3 I still haven't finished.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Anyone who picks The Journey is in my opinion, a troll. My favorite was 1, 2 had a giant shard for a final boss fight and 3, well I just didn't like 3 that much.

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
This is only my opinion, of course, but I definitely think they went the wrong way with Fable. I played the first game because I enjoyed the aesthetic/story and I love a solid action rpg. As the games progressed, they clearly focused on the gimmicky side stuff while neglecting and even dumbing down the bits that attracted me to the series in the first place. The first Fable still has the best story and gameplay. That's not how I define progress.

On a related note, I can't wait for Darksiders 2 and Dark Souls PC. Solid action rpgs are the fucking best.

redrefugee

Dec 8, 2010
Fable: Good for a while, but the button (singular) mashing got repetitive.

Fable 2: Good for a short while, but the button (singular) mashing got repetitive.

Fable 3: Good for a very short while, but the button (singular) mashing got repetitive

Fable: No idea

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
TLC is still one of my favorite adventure games, ya it was suppose to be an RPG but that was only a slight sprinkling on top.

And what they did next was "brilliant", they used metrics/statistics to map out how people play, what they use and what not, so they could tailor the game to peoples needs.
Essentially tried to do take the accountant approach to the art of creation... with horrific fucking results.

superdark

Jul 7, 2012
I like the colonial setting of the later games better than the medieval setting.

Fable was good.
Fable 2 was good.
Fable 3 sits unfinished on my shelf (I haven't gotten around to it.)

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
I've heard of people who started with fable 2 who think it's improving.
The rest of us (i.e. upset fanboys) think it's getting adding failed features and nonchalantly removing the good ones.

Having it move to an industrial era gets it into a dead end unless it feels like continuing to go forward until modern times. The first was set in some kinda pseudo magic medieval time, and they could've continued that without problem, and Fable 2's setting seemed like a good idea, but it has worked them into a corner.

Fable's controls weren't one button for everything so fighting was actually interesting, and death actually happened.

Fable 2 introduced nice features, but was a sign of more streamlining to come. Celebrity voices was a nice extra. In it your community service could be killing a troll.

Fable 3 had too many celebrity voices, and didn't even have trolls, one of it's iconic enemies. It has about 6 species of enemy, and practically no such thing as a boss. Everything was a legendary weapon which made it far less rewarding. There were very few clothes, and I didn't like the hairstyles. To get BLACK dye you had to get DLC. Being evil doesn't make your eyes glow red and have horns, it just makes you look like an emo vampire. Only the side quests in this game made me feel the Fableness. You don't even start as a child in this game, and the player character voice acting makes it easier for the game ot misenterperet your motivation.

Fable 1 had an cool evil antagonoist. 2 and 3 just have evil rich people.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Arontala said:
Fable was decent, Fable 2 was kind of all over the place, and Fable 3 was just a big pile of ass.
and with this sentence you save me having to type out my reply

time for a cup of tea!

MrMixelPixel

Jul 7, 2010
Fable - Fantastic

Fable 2 - Alright

Fable 3 - Fucking awful disappointment.

Seriously, Fable 3 was the first game I've every purchased for full price on its release date that pissed me off. I don't usually hate on games that much... I'll make an exception for Fable 3.

EDIT:

Palademon said:
Fable 1 had an cool evil antagonoist. 2 and 3 just have evil rich people.
Well to be fair, I liked Lucien. He was pretty cool dude. Evil rich people can be interesting.

But your stupid **** of a brother in Fable 3 was an idiot. "I'll just be a douche and not tell anyone why! Even though I had a decent reason."

The Crawler who was also in Fable 3 was huge disappointment as well. Worst climax ever...

I'd complain more about it... but honestly I can't remember much of what went on.

Sep 14, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
Fable was good.

Pretty much the same but witha slightly higher opinion of Fable 3. Only got really got bad when you just needed to grind cash to save the kingdom and stay good.
HINDSIGHT WHAT'S THAT
i literally lol'd there...fuckin the small things like that, made those games very funny after a while.

will have to agree though, fortunately i went in knowing that fable 3 was going to be even less than what fable 1 was like, so i did enjoy it to a point, not to mention i got it in a steam sale for like..13 bucks? not too bad.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
The funny thing is...I loved TLC when I first picked it up, and it's the only one of the 3 I've played to the end. I picked up 2 based on this, was tremendously disappointed, and left it on the shelf unfinished. When my wife and I got a house together, I recommended she played 1, she didn't like it, so I figured what the hell try 2 then.

She LOVED it. Beat it at least 5 times, and begged me to pick up 3. She did the same for 3, and as I watched I couldn't believe the glaring plotholes and lapses in logic and how much more gimmicky it had gotten. She didn't seem to notice that, so to each their own I suppose. We both agree that the XBLA game was balls, however.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
Fable TC: Good game. I liked the world, the aesthetic and story and characters though sometimes they wrote them like complete morons ie Thunder *sigh*
So we have this game with this young under developed world to discover and of course it can only get bigger and better in the next game right? Maybe we?ll even get a cape in the next game to feel like a real bad ass right?

Fable 2: WRONG! Talk about fixing something until it?s broke.

Bland world this time round, scrapped the diverse areas in favour of...green grass and trees. And my god they weren?t even trying with the sound track in this game were they?
The story is pretty much a reworked version of the last games except the names are changed now. Sooooo much more could have been done in the spire instead of just the rushing through the years slave crap they did.

Enemies were boooooring, there were no unique bosses unless you want to admit that the Trolls were actual bosses. And for an RPG the story is incredibly railroaded. Why even bother allow us to remain active in the cut scenes if our active presence in them didn?t make a damn difference anyway.

Getting to long here

Okay to wrap it up the game was buggy too

*shudders* uuugh guns in fable *grumble grumble*

Fable 3: has me fully convinced that Fable 2 was the Beta test for this game.

Story was better. Dog could be easily ignored. World was at least more diverse. Character actually talked. And I actually gave a damn about the characters this time and hey they even provided us with a decent villain...until you know he?s not really one...okay the story got dumb near the end... like really dumb especially around the point when you?re King and people are still telling you to stick to your word instead of thinking about the bigger picture to save their lives.

It pretty much feels like Fable 2 if they actually tried. Doesn?t make it great but it makes it better than 2 which means I at least didn't want to throw the game into a fire.

gunny1993

Jun 26, 2012
The only thing that makes 2 and 3 and good at all imo is Stephen Fry as Reaver ... it's just too awesome