Poll: Fallout 3 opinion Research ( Please come and answer this)

AcropolisParthenon

Oct 6, 2014
Hello Internet denizens of the escapist, I need your help, I would like to know your opinions on the video game Fallout 3. Because I am conducting an assignment to find out what people thought about the game, if you could please answer the poll on your opinion of the game and then leave any further thoughts or comments in replies that would be much appreciated.

CrazyCajun777

Apr 2, 2013
It was a very good game. It's aesthetic was more interesting that New Vagas, in my opinion. However, New Vagas had a more well constructed world. However, F3 had a more fleshed out origin story, and liam neeson.

if you like open world games with lost of fun wandering a nuclear wasteland then you will do well with either game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvwlt4FqmS0&index=11&list=UUI3GAJaOTL1BoipG41OmfyA

Itdoesthatsometimes

Aug 6, 2012
It kind of depends if you are asking how I felt when it first came out, or now. Some games hold up well after time, others do not. I do not have the same opinion as I did when I first played Fallout3. I would be interested in Fallout4. But I would say I was at fantastic in 2006, now I am at somewhere between alright and good. An example of a game that held up better in my opinion, Silent Hill2. The first time I played that one I thought it was mind blowing, and I am just a little under that still.

For the sake of the poll, I am going with good game. I will give it a boost for how I originally felt about it. And I see no reason why a newer similar game could not be great, though I am slightly skeptical of it being fantastic.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
I loved Fallout 3, it was the first one I played and one of the reasons I bought a PS3. I loved the big open world with shit loads to do. The first night I had it I played from about 4 in the afternoon until 5 in the morning without actually realising it...which is increasingly rare for me. So yeah, fantastic, if insanely bugged game.

New Vegas didn't hold the same appeal to me once I figured that it was basically taking me in a big circle and going off that circle got you super murdered.

Looking forward to Fallout 4 though.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Yeah, I'm going with 'eh'.

It had a few cool quests, minor events, locations, weapons, and environmental storytelling, but all of those were buried underneath piles of other crappy quests, bad companions, forgettable characters, wonky controls, a terrible morality system, a downright horrible ending, and disappointing DLC outside of Point Lookout.

The music was really nice though.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
It was pretty good. I thought the way they adapted the setting to DC and brought a vestige of the old turn-based system over in the form of VATS worked well, even if there are a lot of older Fallout fans who disagree. The storyline was decently engaging, there were plenty of tactical options in combat, and there was so much to explore in the Capital Wasteland.

It just didn't do anything that made it really amazing. A good game with no especially rough edges but nothing that amazed me.

Mimic

Jul 22, 2014
For me it was a good game. I really liked how they set up the character customisation at the beginning and the vault. The combat was very good especially the VATS system with some interesting weapons. The ending and ending mission really marred the experience for me though. I remember it bugged out on me the first time through, the end villan you just one-shot and then the 'decision' at the end and epilogue was such a contrived pile of crap it really annoyed me.

Either you're a 'hero' and you martyr yourself or the game judges you as a coward (even if during the end you die anyway). I had a mutant guy immune to radiation with me, why couldn't he go in? - 'Cos he doesn't feel like it.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
I'm not going to vote because my opinion on the game isn't particularly rational. For some reason I was reeeally turned off by Fallout's particular combination of post-apocalyptic atmosphere and humour. It's a shame because I usually enjoy Bethesda's stuff. But something about the setting made me feel miserable.

And that would probably apply to the franchise as a whole; I didn't seek out any of the other games.

So yeah, that's me.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Nothing beats listening to patriotic American music whilst blowing peoples heads in three different directions with a hunting rifle or maniacally charging at them with a revved chainsaw knife. YOU CANT STOP ME FROM CUTTING YOU I HAVE 100 STIMPACKS ON A HOTKEY MWAHAHAHAHA!!!

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Johnisback said:
No matter how hard I tried Fallout 3 just kept throwing up more and more barriers to my attempts to role play. And for a game that purports itself to be an RPG that's just not right.
Before I played any other Fallouts I would have called it a good game.
After I played Fallout 1 and 2 I would have called it and average game.
Now that I've played New Vegas I call it a bad game.
Is New Vegas that much different than Original Fallout 3?
I've played Fallout 1 & 2 (prefer 2) and 3.

OT: I voted alright. The graphics was too monotone for me, color-wise.
I couldn't bring myself to search every nook and cranny like I did in 2.
Might have something do to with level sections. I can't take it all at once.

Captcha: blaze a trail

SmallHatLogan

Jan 23, 2014
Fallout 3 is a weird one for me. It was the game that got me into the series and I loved it the first time I played it but trying to replay it I find it really boring. It's definitely my least favourite of the series. I voted for "Eh".

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I think fallout 3 kind of captures a bit of the spirit of fallout 1, while New Vegas is much more grounded in fallout 2.

Unfortunately, in my opinion Fallout 2 was a much, much better game.

The sandbox dynamic also, I feel, really let Fallout 3 down. Nothing you did or achieved ever seemed to have much weight. Finding a new weapon, some stimpacks or even money never really felt like much of a thing, because weapons were all over the place and stimpacks and money were excessively plentiful.

A lot of people criticize the tone, but honestly.. other than most of the characters being dull and interchangable I think that's the one thing it really nailed. As mentioned though, it feels very much like a sequel to Fallout 1, rather than Fallout 2.

Alcarohtare

May 13, 2011
I thought it was a fantastic game and really enjoy replying it every once in a while. I prefered it to Fallout New Vegas as the story was stronger (in my opinion). New Vegas felt very black and white to me - Ceaser's Legion is bad, NCR is good.
Fallout 3 made me want to follow the main quest which is unusual as I am the queen of procrastination in video games...

small

Aug 5, 2014
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Johnisback said:
No matter how hard I tried Fallout 3 just kept throwing up more and more barriers to my attempts to role play. And for a game that purports itself to be an RPG that's just not right.
Is New Vegas that much different than Original Fallout 3?
I've played Fallout 1 & 2 (prefer 2) and 3.

OT: I voted alright. The graphics was too monotone for me, color-wise.
I couldn't bring myself to search every nook and cranny like I did in 2.
Might have something do to with level sections. I can't take it all at once.

Captcha: blaze a trail
very different.

it pretty much ignores fallout 3 and is the continuation of the story from fallout 2, with the orientation more towards story and characters rather than exploration, where the third game felt like the bombs had dropped only a few years before hand, new vegas is civilisation clawing its way back

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
My first impression was that the Capitol Wasteland was a bleak, dark, horrible place. A wasteland, even. I had the random encounter of people fighting a wounded Deathclaw (2nd or 3rd most dangerous enemy in the game, I think) and barely managed to finish it off before it reached me. After thatm any time night fell in the game, I would stop where I was and wait for the sun to rise for fear of running into another one, or something worse.
There's not even any relation (I think?) between enemy spawns and the time of day, I just really didn't want to wander around the wasteland at night. That was how weirdly frightening the game was at first.

A few playthoughs later, I found myself gleefully stomping through the night looking for more things to kill so I could remove their limbs and heads with a sledgehammer, or just empty a gun I didn't plan to use but had looted enough ammo for into the carcass for that little burst of satisfaction at seeing another dead thing turn into shiny, red giblets.
My favorite places to do this were next to Super Mutant gore-bags, just to make it ambiguous to imaginary passersby whether they were packing up and went to take an irradiated piss halfway through, or if the contents of the bags somehow reaped bloody vengeance upon their killers.

So, yes, the 'magic' doesn't last forever and the longer I hung out in the game, the more detached, depraved, and demented I found my behavior. Maybe there's a message in that, but until you get desensitized and no longer care about the few good/decent/not-insane people you meet in the game, there's a decently absorbing experience to be had, I think.

sataricon

Oct 7, 2014
Fallout 3 is ok.
New Vegas was far far better in terms of RPG elements and story.
Even the design of the quests was superior in NV.

PS:
I play on PC with mods and i don't know how can anyone play these games un modded.

TheArcaneThinker

Jul 19, 2014
Johnisback said:
New vegas was not better than fallout 3 . Fallout 3 has better story , atmosphere , made the player use the V.A.T.S system which i dont know , if it is a good or bad thing but still . In fallout 3 you could kill hundreds of mutants , enclave controlled death claws and end the game with a giant robot . The world really felt post apocalyptic but by no means do i call new vegas a bad game , it was certainly a very good one , having its own charms and all but when compared to fallout 3 it loses by a small margin .

mavkiel

Apr 28, 2008
It was a very good game. I liked its atmosphere a hell of a lot more then New Vegas. However, I liked new vegas quest setup far more. From quests having darker options, to actually having several sides to pick from.

Furthermore, it should be noted that fallout 3 was the first fallout game that could really be modded. Its hard to stress that enough. It gave fallout 3 far more life, and allowed the devs to exploit (in a good way) the ideas for new vegas.