Poll: Fallout 3 or Fallout New Vegas

SoraOhmsford

May 28, 2013
I say both are good, but if you are like me, playing NV first might sabotage playing FO3 later. Case in point, there are some perks and mechanics introduced in NV that are not in FO3, which for me made playing FO3 a bit more tedious and overall less fun, but I still liked it. Also to me it felt like FO3's locations did not have a whole lot of variety to them, but that's just me.

Also of note, for whatever it's worth, FO3 uses Games For Windows Live, which is on the disc version of the game and I'm pretty sure it is on the steam version as well

IronMit

Jul 24, 2012
SoraOhmsford said:
I say both are good, but if you are like me, playing NV first might sabotage playing FO3 later. Case in point, there are some perks and mechanics introduced in NV that are not in FO3, which for me made playing FO3 a bit more tedious and overall less fun, but I still liked it. Also to me it felt like FO3's locations did not have a whole lot of variety to them, but that's just me.

Also of note, for whatever it's worth, FO3 uses Games For Windows Live, which is on the disc version of the game and I'm pretty sure it is on the steam version as well
Windows games for live is awful.
You need to sign in to play your dlc. If you don't your saves don't show. If you played half your game offline because you don't have dlc and decide to get it or 'activate' it later. You can't. Because the saves won't show.

Luckily there's a simple mod of Fallout-nexus that transfers the dlc to a differently folder or something and stops the windows live pop-up

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
Really, you ought to get both of them, but assuming you really only can get one, then I would probably suggest Fallout 3. New Vegas is the better game, but it might be more daunting to newcomers.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Both are amazing, both have amazing DLC, and both are great choices to sink your time in. As my grandfather always says, flip a coin, because both heads and tails are winners in their own ways.