Poll: Fallout 3 Pacifist: Vault 112 (Update: Run Complete!)

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
I'm attempting a Pacifist run of Fallout 3; one in which I kill the bare minimum of people and creatures to complete the main storyline (One radroach at the start of the game and some super mutants in the Jefferson Memorial).

Thus far it's going quite well, I just finished installing the Lunar Lander Dish for Three Dog (using up no less then *five* Stealth Boys in the process) and I'm now heading to Rivet City to talk to Doctor Li. There is just one minor problem though:

What about Vault 112? *Spoilers obviously ahead*

There are two ways to complete the 112 quest. First, side with the crazy doctor and "kill" a bunch of people and generally be dicks to them, culminating in you running around as the Pint-Sized Slasher and butchering the entire town.

The second is the failsafe system which summons a bunch of computer generated Chinese commando units which gun down everyone in town for you.

Now logically you might think the latter is better for a Pacifist run - it's not me doing the direct killing after all, however the difference between the two is that while you play as the Pint-Sized Slasher, they don't actually "die". Crazy Doctor can bring them back and kill and torture them again and again. Failsafe system on the other hand kills them in the real world, permanently.

What do you guys think? Which would be the more "pacifist" path? Faux-killing them all directly or actually-killing them all indirectly?

idiotsavant

Aug 25, 2009
Well, if you use your imagination, you're character could run the fail-safe before reading what it does and thus kill everyone without knowing what he's doing. (kinda cheating though)

Either way though, even if the pint-size slasher way isn't really killing the people, if you're a pacifist I feel like acting it out would still be wrong, so the fail-safe would be the way to go.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
TheNamlessGuy said:
Demented Teddy said:
OMG I loooooooooove Betty (that's the professor's avatar's name isn't it?) she's effin awesome!
Well, you would, wouldn't you?

OT: I'd say to permakill them.
Mainly because the professor is bad, and that's what he considers bad, hence it must be good.
It's not about being "good" or "bad". My Pacifist (who I named Jesus Mk. 2) is a kleptomaniac who steals everything not nailed down, so despite the fact I've not killed anyone, I've still currently got Evil karma. He freely loots dead bodies and has on at least two occasions been run out of Megaton for being caught with his hand in the metaphorical cookie jar.

But I can't kill people or creatures.

Stollos

Sep 6, 2010
For pacifistic RP? Hmm, if you just follow through with all the tasks, they don't actually die permanently. They only die permanently, and thus ending their suffering of eternal torment, if you hit the failsafe.

Theres no way of getting through the simulation without 'killing' anyone per se.

EDIT: I'm not sure, if I were in your position i'd just hit the failsafe. I don't think it'd count as you actually killing them (statistic-wise, as you aren't actually assaulting them or landing the killing blow).

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
Real killing for me. They've been stuck in the G.E.C.K for like, a hundred years, being gorily mutilated over and over again until they can bear no more. In a bizarre sense, it's actually the more humane thing to do. I think so at least.
I say go for the failsafe, since that doctor is a dickhole anyway.

Mar 30, 2010
Surely 'killing' what are essentially their online avatars is better than actually killing them? Knowing that they'd be tormented forever my Braun is kind of OOC information isn't it?

A Pacifist couldn't bear to kill someone regardless, a Humanitarian would pull their collective plugs for the greater good. And with a tear in their eye.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Grouchy Imp said:
Surely 'killing' what are essentially their online avatars is better than actually killing them? Knowing that they'd be tormented forever my Braun is kind of OOC information isn't it?
No, it's quite possible to obtain that information in-character within the Tranquiltiy Lane simulation.

Amnestic said:
(using up no less then *five* Stealth Boys in the process)
Chinese Stealth Armour. You want it, you need it, it'll be a ***** getting it without killing (even if you don't count the soldiers in OA because it's a simulation).

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
GloatingSwine said:
Amnestic said:
(using up no less then *five* Stealth Boys in the process)
Chinese Stealth Armour. You want it, you need it, it'll be a ***** getting it without killing (even if you don't count the soldiers in OA because it's a simulation).
I have considered Operation Anchorage as the Stealth Armour would make the game a hell of a lot easier, but I also mused that perhaps it might make the game *too* easy. A permanent stealth field is broken as all hell and it could feasibly suck out most of the fun (that is, sneaking around trying to dodge people then RUNNING LIKE HELL RUN RUN FUCK RUN OUCH RUN FUCK RUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNN when they see you) out of the game. If I get stuck on a particular part, I'll consider it, but for the most part I'd like to not touch the stealth armour if at all possible.

From here, I've got:
The Journey to Rivet City- Easy, I already made the trip for the Bobblehead, so it's just fast travelling.
Exploring the Purifier for signs of Daddy Dearest- Not too tough, just a bunch of Super Mutants.
Running to Vault 112- Easy. Just run like hell.
Vault 112- No combat, easy.
Back to Rivet City- Fast Travel, easy.
Clean out the Purifier- Only bit of combat I'm allowed in the game. Will be interesting since my combat skills are in the single digits thanks to the Pacifist Perk (-10 to all combat skills, +10 to all non-combat skills). I think Big Guns is actually 0.
Fix the Purifier- Easy.
Run away from the Enclave- This might be a tough one. Since Li is plot armoured I think it's just a matter of running to the exit though.
Meet the Brotherhood- Easy.
Go to Vault 87 via Little Lamplight- Easy if I pass the Speech Check, costly if I don't. I should be able to Karma my way into Paradise Falls and then just buy the kids if necessary.
Vault 87- Probably going to be quite hard until I free Fawkes. After that he'll kill people on his way to the G.E.C.K.
Raven Rock- Marginally difficult. Enclave shots hurt.
Following Liberty Prime- Easy.
Speech Check Colonel Autumn- Pray I succeed, hide behind Sarah Lyons if I don't.
Win- I R WINRAR.

The biggest two obstacles are fleeing the Purifier and Raven Rock. Everything else should be pretty much doable.

Grouchy Imp said:

A Pacifist couldn't bear to kill someone regardless, a Humanitarian would pull their collective plugs for the greater good. And with a tear in their eye.
You can find that out via the Failsafe Terminal without actually activating the program, so that knowledge would still be "in character".

Picosaurus

Mar 26, 2010
I agree with the idea to follow the bad path, faux-killing them has not real consequences towards your goal. Just wondering though, how are you going to manage to help Dr Li flee the Jefferson memorial?

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Picosaurus said:
I agree with the idea to follow the bad path, faux-killing them has not real consequences towards your goal. Just wondering though, how are you going to manage to help Dr Li flee the Jefferson memorial?
Run like hell. Li has plot armour, so it's just a matter of making it to the exit where that one Brotherhood guy is and putting so much Med-X/Buffout/Stimpaks into my system I can survive plasma rifle shots to the face.

On a sidenote, I just read that Obsidian will have a way for New Vegas players to complete Pacifist runs without killing a single enemy. Thanks guys! <3

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
I don't remember, does the failsafe say "These people are going to die, like totes IRL"? because if it doesn't, and the other one says "Kill them!" then you sort of need to use the failsafe. If them dying because you used the failsafe is a surprise, and you expected to save them that way, then go with the failsafe.

It's all about your character's intention

shwnbob

May 16, 2009
Murder murder kill kill! Their not really dying, your saving their lives (kinda) and plus you get out without any real blood on your hands. Although your father will be angry with you...

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
shwnbob said:
Murder murder kill kill! Their not really dying, your saving their lives (kinda) and plus you get out without any real blood on your hands. Although your father will be angry with you...
Yeah...I don't care. I know he's Liam Neeson and everything, but he's also a bloody idiot. Some playthroughs I blow up Megaton just to piss him off.