Poll: Fallout 4 survival mode...or not.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Lately have been considering trying the eponymous survival mode in Fallout 4, even though haven't completed the main story yet, due to losing patience with the factions and various other life distractions. However, is it even worth it? Are the limiters too cruel and arbitrary? Does it require save-scumming? Should I see the main story through first before attempting this mode?
Also, if one were to go in blind...what tips are there worth knowing? Will it require specific, optimised character builds and a defined quest line for any chances at success? Will I spend SPECIAL stat upgrades in one area only to find that later levels render my character useless?

I usually avoid survival modes in story-based games to give a realistic chance at actually seeing the story through. But the main questline currently is leaving a bear feeling a little apathetic, so am open to new ideas. Or even encouragement that the story has hope beyond the committing to one faction point.
Might as well add poll for sweet succulent statistics. And for those witbout the time to type replies. :)

fluxy100

May 22, 2010
I'd say try it out but after you've finished the story and seen all you want because you'll be avoiding a lot of the story in survivor mode.

"Oh what's that two raider having a heated argument near a diner, that sounds like an interesting quest but I'm in survival mode and I don't want to wake back up in my bed in sanctuary if they get off three good shots. Better move on I need to find food."

Survival mode is really fun if you're willing to die a lot, it changes the way the game plays on a physical level; more damage by you and enemies, need for food, etc., but it also changes it on a psychological level. You may have helped these farmers in a normal game but this is survival mode, they have food and you don't so they need to die so you can live.

As for any tips? STEALTH, SNEAK EVERYWHERE. Damage is increased for you and enemies so a good sneak attack will usually take out anything especially if you put perks into it. You want to be sneaking all the time because any fight can be the last. Sleep often you don't want to have to start all over if a bloodbug gets in a good hit while your reloading.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I remember Zombieproof saying it's the only way to play. I'm currently on an original Fallout kick between Arkham City Catwoman episodes and Dark Souls. Default diff. In Fallout 1 is probably about the same thing lol.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Its fun for about 2 hours, then its tedious. The lack of Fast-Travel may seem fun at fist, 'cause OMG totes real! but once you get a quest on the other side of the map, get half way there, 'Help Defend Sanctuary' it gets very very frustrating.

The rest like damage and food/water/sleep are just like New Vegas, so its doable. But the lack of Fast Travel for a huge map and time sensitive quests is leeches on the inner thigh annoying.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Xsjadoblayde said:
However, is it even worth it?
I think so. I personally enjoyed the mode a great deal.

Xsjadoblayde said:
Are the limiters too cruel and arbitrary?
Nah, not at all. The two biggest issues that I personally experienced, are simply the slow healing of health/rads in survival mode. It makes trying to spam stimpaks in combat a non-tactic. You just can't do it. If you are taking massive damage, you need to run away, heal, and hide for a bit while the healing takes effect. The other being the limitation on saving, which is only when you sleep in a bed of some kind (or bedroll). Which can make for chunks of lost time if you go for a while without saving, and then run into a lethal threat. However, this is one reason why having the network of settlements is actually a benefit. Because you will then have a certain rest point relatively close, no matter where you are exploring. It also makes the "supply lines" actually useful, since you can't just fast travel around. Being able to access your crafting resources from any location you control, because you set up a supply line, is damn handy when you need to build something in a hurry.

Xsjadoblayde said:
Does it require save-scumming? Should I see the main story through first before attempting this mode?
Can't save scum, as you can only save at sleeping locations. Though it's perfectly viable to save inside say, a vault, in a quiet room, before going into a dangerous area. And it doesn't matter if you finish the main story first or not. The story doesn't change at all, how you progress through it changes, as your forms of travel/crafting/saving are significantly different.

Xsjadoblayde said:
Also, if one were to go in blind...what tips are there worth knowing? Will it require specific, optimised character builds and a defined quest line for any chances at success? Will I spend SPECIAL stat upgrades in one area only to find that later levels render my character useless?
Not at all. Though you will find the lower levels VERY dangerous, as one of the major changes in Survival is that everyone (you and the enemies) do a LOT more damage to each other. So while you are more likely to kill enemies quickly, they are also likely to kill you quickly too. Once you get into the 20+ to 30+ level range however, you become sufficiently tough enough that it's not a big deal. A few bits of advice I will give you though:

1. BEWARE GRENADES, ESPECIALLY MOLOTOVS. In Survival mode, molotovs are pretty much a one shot kill for you and most regular enemies. Seriously, if you are going up against npcs with molotovs (which are really damn common among raiders and the like), you should watch your ass. Also, be careful if you plan on using them yourself. A badly aimed molotov that explodes near you will kill you instantly. If you plan on using grenades/molotovs, invest in the explosive perk (i forget the name), that improves your damage/radius for explosives, and get the perk that gives you a throwing arc on screen This is super useful as it will drastically reduce the number of times you will kill yourself, because you didn't line up the throwing arc on that molotov right, and it glances off the top of the doorframe you are chunking a mollie through.

2. Get the Aquaboy perk, at least the first rank The second rank is very nice too, but not as necessary. Aquaboy 1, is great. I, I really can't stress how useful it is in Survival. There is water in FO 4. A lot of it, and a lot of it is around, between, and in front of a lot of places you will need to go, back and forth. Aquaboy 1, removes all rads for swimming, and lets you breath underwater indefinitely. For getting around a hostile zone, when you just do NOT want to fight, being able to jump into the water, dive down, and just swim along the river to a dangerous location...take ZERO RADS, and never have to surface for air? Yeah, it's suuuuuper useful. It turns the water in the game from a super dangerous hazard/obstacle, into a super safe and easy form of distance traveling. And since you can't fast travel, you have to move through every inch of that map...and encounter every enemy along the way. Also, using Radaway makes you prone to infections for a long time, so you want to not use it if you can avoid it. And you soak up so many rads from water it's not even funny.

3. Use doctors for healing/radiation scrubs. As I said above, don't use Radaway unless you absolutely have to. The debuff on your immune system that using it lasts a LONG time, and the random types of infections you can get (which can really suck), are WAY more likely to happen if you are under the "weakened immunity" debuff from Radaway. It's much better to just spend 50 caps (I think it's just 50), and get a rad scrub, with no side effects, from a doctor.

4. Make sure to have water sources at every community (and some food), and make sure they make more than they need to survive. You want a surplus of water. You will drink water a lot in Survival, way more than food. You can get a steady, free supply of Purified Water at ALL of your settlements, if you just build a water purifier, or several water pumps. Just make sure the amount is significantly more than the population (6 settlers, but you make 10 water for example). The surplus will go into your Workshop bench periodically, along with your crops, and you can harvest those to take with you on your journey.

5. Buy at least 1 rank of Chemist, and Medic/Doctor if you want.
If you want to make drugs/stimpaks/etc, you need at least one rank in Chemist to even use the Chemistry station. And trust me, you want to be able to make drugs. I never used them myself, but damn if they weren't an easy source of money. You can make Jet relatively easy with materials that are fairly easy to come by. You can make stimpaks and psycho pretty easy too, and they sell for lots of caps. Taking the Doctor perk is useful simply for improving your Stimpak/Radaway usage. If you get hit with a lot of rads, it's better to only have to use 1 Radaway to clear out the damage, than having to use multiple. It's not necessary to do that, but I found it very useful, and let you get by with far less stimpaks/radaways, letting you sell off the excess for massive caps.

That's about it with specific tips from someone who played Survival mode into the 60+ level range. Most of the other things I could mention are basic FO 4 tips that are valid regardless of gaming mode, but those are things I found to be of particular use in that mode.

I found the mode very fun, but that's me. I found the "no fast travel" alone, reshapes the entire game for me, as you had to seriously consider your routes to everywhere. Possible threats to and from, where you might have to detour, where you can save along the way in case you run into a random Deathclaw, etc. It just made the game world more involved, and immersive for me. Your mileage might vary, but I loved it. It's not as hard as they like to make it out to be. It's tough in the lower levels to be sure, you can die super fast if you're not careful. But you eventually can grow up to be a very powerful character, and it becomes no more dangerous than any other mode....except for molotovs, those things seem to ALWAYS be deadly. Seriously, watch your ass with molotovs, tossing them, or having them tossed at you.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Thank-you for the informative and varied answers, quite helpful for now. Sneaking is a common friend of mine, so stealth will be a comfortable pair of gameplay slippers to, umm slip into. The auto-pickpocket selection may cause a few misunderstanding s there though. :) Am giving the story quests a last seeing to, while savouring the fast travel system and a few other sinful pleasures before diving head-on into the daunting post-apocalyptic romance with mortality for realsies.
Happyninja42 said:
Very helpful snippledom
Oh yes, those raider grenade/molotov spammers are already a mild nuisance, and I currently mess up an estimated 80℅ of my own lobs due to a finicky collision detection and my propensity to panic during battles, so that would be an area requiring some heavy restraint and practice it would seem.
The drugs I currently attempt to sell only appear to go for about 20 to 40 caps, is that a lot for what they are? Selling isn't something I've delved into much yet, have been mostly hoarding, crafting, hoarding, upgrading and more hoarding (for hibernation perhaps). But the various drugs have come in useful during more intense battles, but if the addictions are more dangerous in survival, it makes sense to avoid them.
The Aquaboy perk is something that hasn't been utilised yet, however it does sound a highly useful technique in that sense. The Leadbelly perk is a recent help, if only so all that hoarded food that can't be cooked has a use at last. Actually, come to think of it, am not entirely sure I have died in the main game at all yet. That will be a sharp contrast to adjust to. :)

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I don't remember how much the drugs go for, but the main benefit to them is they are really light. And given you take a huge weight capacity hit on Survival, the more value you can squeeze into each pound, the better. And drugs are consistently pretty damn light as I recall. Now, I took a few ranks in the Barter related stuff, so that I could develop high level settlements, so my value for drugs might vary from yours, but I seem to recall (vaguely) them being worth about 100+ caps per item. Give or take a bit. I had a high charisma, and several economy related perks, so that might be why. But seeing as most of those perks had other benefits aside from just buy/sell prices, I felt they were useful.

mavkiel

Apr 28, 2008
Only use it if you use mods to tweak things. Survival can get annoying fast. No beds in an area? Lose x amount of time because you died to something stupid. Quest y breaks? Tough luck if you didn't take a nap just before the bug.

Then there is there cheese factor. Open a door, that is not trapped on your end, and eat two rpgs in face. Worse yet, the entire area had no beds. If I wasn't able to save where I wanted I'd have been pissed.. Things like that quickly destroy any tolerance I had for that setting. Heck, no fast travel I was fine for awhile with. But, when you do a trade run from sanctuary to diamond city for the eleventh time, you will pull out your hair from boredom.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
mavkiel said:
Only use it if you use mods to tweak things. Survival can get annoying fast. No beds in an area? Lose x amount of time because you died to something stupid. Quest y breaks? Tough luck if you didn't take a nap just before the bug.

Then there is there cheese factor. Open a door, that is not trapped on your end, and eat two rpgs in face. Worse yet, the entire area had no beds. If I wasn't able to save where I wanted I'd have been pissed.. Things like that quickly destroy any tolerance I had for that setting. Heck, no fast travel I was fine for awhile with. But, when you do a trade run from sanctuary to diamond city for the eleventh time, you will pull out your hair from boredom.
Never had any bug issues, so that wasn't a problem for me. The point of Survival is to be hard, where a single mistake can set you back. If that aspect bothers you, maybe you shouldn't play Survival? Also, as to the trade run, you know you can just move your base of operations to another settlement that is more centralized right? You don't HAVE to stay at Sanctuary. Once I had the drive-in theater place, that became my first new hub of operations, and I moved all my stuff to there via, you guessed it, the supply caravans and settlers. Just load them up with stuff and relocate them. It's super easy. I think the last time I ever set foot at Sanctuary was my mid teens to early 20's. Beyond that, I operated out of other locations exclusively.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
mavkiel said:

Damn you make this mode sound less enjoyable than work in real life!

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
I've not started a Survival yet (I have about 400 billion hours of settlement building, main game, and DLC to get through on an initial run... ), but I'd heartily second this advice:
mavkiel said:
Saving at sleeping doesn't really make any sense, and Bethesda's design for Survival in general seems iffy - have a looksee at overhauls which tweak it all to your liking.

No Sleep Till Bedtime's [https://youtu.be/KKwCw68flEM] one solution for the saving/sleeing thing, although if you really like that system (I don't think I've ever come across anyone who did) you could just use camping or sleeping bag mods.

Plus, Fallout 4's built pretty much with fast-travel in mind (see also: all Bethesda games since Morrowind), so Survival outright disabling it seems overly punishing.

Lore friendly travel options added with Survival in mind are stuff like the Red Wave [http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/13307/?] (a boat for the coastline, obviously! it can venture in to dock/harbour at Taffington, which is pretty well situated near the upper middle of the map), and the Lone Wanderer bike [http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/17736/?] - which needs to be repaired before use, and needs oil to use. Not added it yet, but I believe the requirements can be tailored, so your game doesn't become an OCD hunt for oil if the demand becomes annoying. Plus, a small tent upgrade can be crafted which resides on the bike itself, allowing you to make a little camp at your destination if you don't want to carry other camping provisions from other mods.

I think purified water can be refilled at the little sink on the Red Wave, too, so that provides a semi-mobile source of death-defying hydration (also has a loot-retaining storage chest).

Those two options would make a Survival/no-fast travel run far less potentially aggravating, and they fit the game just fine. There's also a car and an APC. I'm personally not so keen on those options, but different strokes for different folks and all (I believe you need to do up the car as well, so that's a nice touch, and I think both need a little nuclear material to power).

All the linked mods are on Xbox via Bethesda.net as well, btw, given that's how I'm/I'll using using 'em.

Zombie Proof

Nov 28, 2015
Looks like I'm late to the party but Happyninja42 did a great job at giving you some great starting tips. I'd like to add a few more on top of his.

Rifleman is probably the best gun perk for starters even if you aren't planning on using some of those guns simply due to the broad range and functionality of the guns it covers. Getting damage bonuses on both sniper rifles, shotguns, and automatics (combat rifles) will save your life plus there's the Overseer's Guardian (which could be set up either for full auto or sniping) which carried me at least until the early 50's on survival.

Also like ninja said, GET THAT AQUABOY. Even if you don't get both perks, the first allows you carve straight lines of safe travel for use over and over (the enemies respawn slower in survival). You end up with safe routes and you get to your destination faster. It also allows you to save tons of time and pain by taking your travel to the waterways.

Get the Wasteland Survival Guide from Sunshine Tidings co-op as fast as you can. This makes animals drop double the normal amount of meat, great for setting up valuable meat stores at all of your settlements.

PURIFIED WATER IS OVERRATED. To save inventory space, I found that carrying around noodlecups and vegetable soup were the best for me. They deal with both thirst and hunger simultaneously (melons work the same way if you get lead belly to full rank). So make sure you plant lots of razorgrain, tatos, and carrots so that you can make them and only put dirty water in the empty bottles you find. Build a storage container to store your dirty water though. It kept on getting consumed by settlers when I stored it in workshops. Make sure you harvest and replace them in the workshop whenever you visit a settlement so that you can always craft some soup wherever you are. I only drink purified water straight from the faucet at my settlements. Also, the only meat I carry around with me are squirrel on a stick, iguana on a stick, mirelurk egg omelets, and mirelurk cakes. They're the lightest foods in the game, a plus with weight being so important.

A high demolitions expert will save your life. Explosives are super powerful in survival mode (up that sneak by the way for those land mines lol) so mines, frag grenades, and molotovs (for ferals usually) really even the playing field. Also, the visible throwing arc is super duper useful. Pro tip, the explosive bonus from demo expert scales with the Lorenzo's Artifact Gun you get from the Cabot House quest. I put the Lorenzo's Artifact piece onto a Crippling Gamma Gun that I found and it's probably my favorite gun in the game (renamed it the 'Jean Grey' lol).

Become friends with the brotherhood even if you don't plan on siding with them in the end. The vertibird grenades that you buy from the Prywen are the perfect substitute for fast travel. There's even a mod that allows you to craft them so that you don't have to keep bopping back and forth to the prydwen. I only used it after meeting Teagan the first time though so as not to break the RP.

You can still fast travel to the institute and directly outside of it. It's not total fast travel but due to their central location on the map, it saves both time and pain still.

You're gonna be tempted to get that ballistic weave from Tinker Tom at some point. I implore you not to. As someone who's spent over 350 hours in survival with a character in the lv 130's, the last thing you want is the difficulty balance to be ruined and that's exactly what ballistic weave does. The only armor upgrades I do are the ones on the hands and legs oh, and helmets too.

That's all that comes to mind for now. If I think of anything more I'll post it. Survival mode is literally the only way I'll play fallout 4. No perk, item, or gameplay element is throwaway and hence the gameplay nuance is magnified to an amazing degree. It feels like the Stalker sequel that I always wanted hahahaha.

If you have any other questions OP, feel free to post em.

*edit* I want to reinforce what ninja said, STAY AWAY FROM RADAWAY. That junk will seriously ruin your day. A great alternative is to build the new radscrubber machines that came with the workshop dlc and keep those at the settlements you frequent. If you don't have the dlc, just hoof it to a doctor.