Poll: Fallout:England-Would it Work?

Whichi

Sep 13, 2010
Christopher N said:
so long as there were monty python and black adder references, I don't see why a Fallout set in the UK wouldn't work
Cultural references/jokes always helps the setting. Besides, they threw one in Vegas because it's a huge town with bright lights, and they also had an expansion in the back woods of Maryland (I forgot... it's been a few months since I played, so don't PM me). So I can't see why there shouldn't be a Fallout for England, Russia, China, Japan, India, Israel, and Australia

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
It could definitely work but it'd be very different to the American-based Fallout.

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
well the fallout series is based on the future that was predicted post-WWII and I'm not 100% sure how England's future was looking at the time, especially after the nazi bombing runs. If anything if you still do the retro future set in England, it may be an even bigger wasteland that any other game.

Amishdemon

Jun 3, 2009
It would work but would involve a huge amount of work by the developers to create a back story for England, what happened why did it get nuked whose side it was on.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Yes, I believe it would work. We have no idea what the state of the rest of the world is in that universe. Even if they didn't have Vaults, which is not a foregone conclusion, there are still shelters and stuff. After all, people DID survive in Fallout without being in Vaults. I'd enjoy seeing it.

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
Aylaine said:
I think so if it drew from English history and popular culture like Fallout did for America. Also, add in the humor of a game like Killing Floor and I can definitely see it working!
It would be heavily based on the Northern Ireland "Troubles", as that was the main political issue the Brits would have in the fallout pre-war canon.
FalloutJack said:
Yes, I believe it would work. We have no idea what the state of the rest of the world is in that universe.
Right, after the "Battle of the Bogside" in 1969, the Irish Parliament contemplated invading the North to protect the Catholic Population.
If they did, Ireland would have been crushed and Isolated by the EU (or EC in fallout) forcing them to join Russia (or China). Logically, the IRA would have flared up after the Great War to Reclaim the North.

After that, You decide.

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
Aylaine said:
I think so if it drew from English history and popular culture like Fallout did for America. Also, add in the humor of a game like Killing Floor and I can definitely see it working!
Or Monty Python.

linwolf

Jan 9, 2010
Fallout, no the game is built around the American setting. Changing that setting to England it would stop being Fallout, but you could probably make a good post apocalyptic game set in England.

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
samaugsch said:
Aylaine said:
Or Monty Python.
Which Fallout does already.

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
linwolf said:
Fallout, no the game is built around the American setting. Changing that to England would stop making it Fallout, but you could probably make a good post apocalyptic game set in England.
Actually, J.E. Saywer said he would like to see a game set in the UK.

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
Ninjamedic said:
samaugsch said:
Aylaine said:
Or Monty Python.
Which Fallout does already.
Doesn't mean they can't do it again. :3

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
Disaster Button said:
Wouldn't being set in England disrupt the Futuristic American 50s style of Fallout?
Random Name 4 said:
A post apocalyptic game set in the ruins of Britain? Yes

A fallout game? No
These. And if you're describing your surroundings as already being gloomy, it probably won't be that big of a deal to re-imagine it as dystopian. It's not like anyone is clamoring for a Fallout: Cleveland or anything. ;)

Eumersian

Posting in the wrong thread.
Sep 3, 2009
It would really depend. I don't think the Fallout canon has anything to do with the UK, though I imagine they would be the US's allies in the war. So maybe there would be a little nuclear action going on.
ghostracoon16 said:
No, because there is no vaults in England.
Also, this. There would be no vaults in the UK. I'm not saying that it would be impossible to make one simply because there are no vaults, since people managed to stay alive outside of vaults anyway, but no vaults means no Pip-Boys. The Pip-Boy is a device that, not in-game mind you, bridges the noticeable gap between game and character. It gives you a tangible device that gives you information, so that you aren't just looking at in-game menus. I feel like no Pip-Boys would take away the subtle charm that it provides, which would actually do more damage than it may seem. The developers may have to think of a clever work-around, without ruining the canon.

tehfeen83

Oct 17, 2010
I used to work at the Trafford Centre for over 2 years, I hate that place with a passion. So yeah, I'd love to see it half destroyed and filled with ghouls! I've had many a conversation about the very subject.