Poll: Fallout: New Vegas ending discussion. (obvious spoilers) Also, which one of the DLC should I buy?

IFS

Mar 5, 2012
Old world blues is probably the best peice of dlc I've ever played, dead money is also very fun and honest hearts is fun up until GIANT CAZADORS AAAAAAHHHHH!

Still fun though. Haven't played Lonesome road so I can't reccomend it.

foxlovingfreak

Sep 9, 2009
Personaly I thought sideing with the NCR or Mr.house offerd the best possible endings for new vegas though I usually stick with NCR so I dont have to betray the brotherhood of steel. As for dlc get all them they actualy share an interconected story therw out. But if you can only buy one get old war blues its the best of the four and the sink is the best homebase in the entire game.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Picking NCR is interesting.
Every single ending slide has multiple ways it can play out, and with the exception of the bugged Followers one, there's pretty much always an end slide that leaves that group happy.
NCR basically has the most potential for good.
I just wish that the game didn't decide that when I got my Securitron army that I didn't want to use it to help the NCR, and instead just wanted to kick them out of the Mojave.

Old World Blues and Lonesome Road are the best gameplay wise, and they offer you the nicest loot/perks.
Just be warned about Old World Blues: Someone thought it would be fun to play a cruel joke on Obsidian and tell them they were funny. We all suffered for it.

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
I think you can cut suffering in the mojave at least a little by going around killing all the gang leaders. The fiends, the guys in the prison, the guys hiding in a vault somewhere north of the prison, and probably more. Can do quite a bit by just killing a lot of people, actually, as I learned going apeshit on just about every faction and slaughtering the khans, the powder gangers, fiends, most of the legion, the boomers, and probably one or two I'm forgetting. Quite a bit of "wiped out by the Courier" and "felt the Courier's wrath" in that ending.

As for DLC, I mostly agree with what's been said.
Old World Blues was portal-ish in humor (that is, rather dark and 'for science!'-based) and fun to explore with a fairly interesting story. I actually kind of wondered if
They included a permanent grin with that surgery at the start, because I was smiling through most of the adventure.

Dead money was ludicrously difficult even if you are the right level, mostly because of the death-cloud and that fucking collar that turned quite a bit of the adventure into either sprinting wildly hoping you don't blow up or playing hot and cold with the little wall blinkers. Not much around to help one regain health, either.

Honest Hearts felt pretty 'cowboys and indians' to me, if that makes any sense, fairly fun, I think, though you might feel out of place by sporting vault gear and using lasers guns.

Lonesome Road was short, but there was only thing that really bugged me.
Ulysses blames you for continuing to play the DLC you paid for. "You just had to keep going" he says. I'm aware that, unlike most others, you can go back to the mojave any time, but who in their right mind pays extra and just stops because the antagonist tells them to? I suppose that bad things seem to happen more and more as I go, but it seems more like I'm being railroaded into Kratos-level calamity-causing, like when progress is (apparently) halted until you fire a nuke somewhere. Naturally, Ulysses blames you for it, an action you couldn't really have helped any more than delivering that package that set off the nukes before the game even fucking started. It reminded me of Jack's predicament in Bioshock, being essentially forced to do what he was doing, only without the acknowledgement that the player's only other choice was (as far as I can tell) to turn off the game and slap themselves in the face.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
TizzytheTormentor said:
The brotherhood are xenophobic assholes living in the past and doing nothing to help anyone anymore, I would gladly destroy them but McNamara is reasonable (to an extent) and Veronica.
I know how that feels. I had Veronica as my follower in my most recent playthrough, and by the time I was finished with her quest, I just wanted to give her a hug. :(

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
crazyrabbits said:
Just buy the ultimate edition on Steam if you want DLC. It's $10 more than the regular game, and has everything (all 4 + the pre-order packs) in it, so you don't have to pick and choose.
I probably would if I had a better PC. I play the 360 version. Plus I'm not sure whether my saves would carry over to the ultimate edition or not.

Henriot

Dec 15, 2011
First bunch of questions first: I WOULD have sided with NCR in the end, because as "my character" I didn't want to be the one in charge of shit and I thought NCR were already half-setup shop and Caeser's Legion were a bunch of tools... but my game flatout wouldn't let me finish one of the main quests near the end (the NPC would just have the "goodbye" dialogue option).

Running a playthrough now... I'm aiming for independant.

As for the DLC: Old World Blues is by far the most entertaining, and if you go into it when the recommendation suggests (can't remember the exact level), you can get some pretty nifty gear that you can hold onto for a while.. Or maybe I just felt sorry for the Stealth Suit, so I just wear her all the time...

BUT... I really like Dead Money. I liked the atmosphere, the fact that it wasn't just guns blazing, you had to work around your environment and while those stupid radio things killed me every now and then, I found that DLC much more memorable to Honest Hearts or Lonesome Road. And unlike some are saying, I liked the character companions in it. I honestly didn't know who to trust going in, and you really get that "Treaure of the Sierra Madre" feeling.

Honest Hearts, I LOVED finding those journal entries, I loved the stories that the place held and the hints here and there about how people lived there, came to be there, the little pre-war tableaus... But the questline in it I wasn't invested as much as I would have liked. The PLACE I found great, characters not so much.

... and Lonesome Road... I remember the rocket launcher, those annoying burrowing lizard things, and some guy in an awesome gas mask talking to me way to much (and he sounded like he needed a throat lozenge). May have been my frame of mind at the time, but pretty sure I breezed through that as fast as I could and can't remember any amazing defining moments.

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
scorptatious said:
Finally, which DLC should I buy? I really want to play more of this game, but I don't want to spend too much money on DLC, so if you were to pick one, which would it be?
it depends on how much challenge you want: Sierra Madre strips your gear but if you play smart, becomes manageable quickly. Honest Hearts is only hard if you didnt pack your gear properly. Old World Blues can get very hard, but has a lot of humor to lighten the moodl
Lonesome Road, especially at high level, is hard as fuck and bleak

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
All of them... but especially Honest Hearts and Old World Blues. I guarantee you will not be disappointed with any of them.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
I just rebought the game with all the DLCs (ultimate edition or whatever, not GOTY), so I'm slowly playing through it. I had the original game for the 360 and got through New Vegas but game up after that as I hate shooting mechanics on consoles. I've got it for PC now and enjoy it much more.

I'm still only level 10ish so I haven't tried out anything yet, but am looking forward to it.

Wolf In A Bear Suit

Jun 2, 2012
Thanks to the folks at HMV accidentalty giving me fallout new vegas ultimate edition with all DLC for 15 euro I've played all of the big add ons. I can say Old world blues is the funniest and most interesting if the DLC

Eggbert

Jun 9, 2010
First time through I went Wild Card, with no regrets. Second time I decided to pull Legion, just to see if they really were that one-dimensional. And it turns out they are, but Caesar isn't. Caesar is actually kind of interesting (not going to spoil it), but he has a whole philosophy behind what he's doing and the way he's shaped the Legion. If it was done a bit better, it could have been an actual shades of grey situation, instead of Legion being generic bad guys, which is a huge shame.

DLC-wise, go Old World Blues. It's basically an entire game by itself, with some smart and funny writing, unique everything and what have you. Dead Money is very dull, Honest Hearts is pretty and interesting but a pain in the ass to get around in, and I can't judge Lonesome Road because I went through it at level 50 and spent all my time getting one-shotted by every variant of Deathclaw there. Although it should be noted that each DLC has its own special potentially game-breaking bit of loot or addition.

Speaking of which, don't go through any of the DLC's at level 50. They do some pretty heavy scaling, and it gets kind of dull (you can't experiment with new weapons because you have to use the most powerful stuff to survive, much less win.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
First time I sided with House. He was good for the region, kept peace and all that... but only at the cost of some selective genocide. Not the most collaborative of rulers, Mr. House.

Second time I sided with the NCR. They weren't bad for the region per se... but there were a lot of people who continued status quo suffering under their rule. Killing Mr. House with a golf club got me an achievement, at least.

Third time through I went with Yes Man... that is one fucked up ending.

Haven't gotten around to being completely bugfuck evil yet.

Buy Old World Blues if you're only getting one. After that I'd rank Honest Hearts at #2, Lonesome Road at #3 (because it railroads you mercilessly) and Dead Money at a distant #5. I'd say the Gun Runner's Arsenal is a better addition than the Sierra Madre arc. The story was a mess and it was incredibly easy for my sneak-guns character... but incredibly hard for my armor-melee character.

Vankraken

Mar 30, 2010
Honest Hearts made me feel either unlucky or stupid because at the very start my caravan crew died and EVERYBODY was hostile to me so it completely broke the quest line. Basiclly it turned into a giant sandbox of kill everything because I had nothing to do except clear a path out of the zone.

1st Character: I ended up helping the NCR (Helped the NCR in Fallout 1 and 2 so i gotta see where they end up). Overall they seem a bit power/land hungry but overall they try to secure and improve the area (at the cost of civil liberties sometimes)

2nd Character: Im stalled but I am focusing on a very neutral/selfish/loner style so I won't be helping any faction so i guess its going to be a free New Vegas ending.

crazyrabbits

Jul 10, 2012
scorptatious said:
crazyrabbits said:
Just buy the ultimate edition on Steam if you want DLC. It's $10 more than the regular game, and has everything (all 4 + the pre-order packs) in it, so you don't have to pick and choose.
I probably would if I had a better PC. I play the 360 version. Plus I'm not sure whether my saves would carry over to the ultimate edition or not.
Fair enough. In that case, I would suggest Dead Money, Old World or Lonesome Road. Lonesome is essentially an "epilogue" to the game, and gives you a bunch of awesome benefits (including a revamped ED-E whose benefits carry over to the main game). Dead Money has a gamebreaker in the form of the Holorifle, and the story is quite good. Old World Blues is lots of fun from a "hokey sci-fi" perspective.

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
The Legion has the best ending in my opinion. They bring long term stability and security. The best DLC hands down is Dead Money, if you want story and great characters that is the dlc for you.

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
I don't have any of the DLC, but I've heard that Old World Blues is both hilarious and astoundingly deep. That sounds pretty good to me.