Poll: Fanfiction writing and reading

Fanfic_warper

Jan 24, 2011
OK I know that there's got to be at least one other fanfiction writer or reader on this site so here's the question: What fanfiction community do you read or write for?

Me personally, I read Naruto, Code Geass (mostly becasue it was awesome up UNTIL the end), Ben Ten and the occasional Pokemon (based on anime).

.....Yes this may make me a loser in most social circles and probably even a fair bit in the escapist community but I want to know if I'm the only one or not.

I also write but it's been a while since I posted anything and I've dozens upon dozens of potential story ideas.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
I tend to avoid fan fiction.

The only thing I read thats anywhere near to it are the Black library books based on the Warhammer and Warhammer 40k universe.

Basically, fan fiction reminds me of the X Factor auditions. Sometimes you see a good one and you think "okay, that was great" but for the most part they are utter shit.

Jan 27, 2011
I haven't really read or written much fanfiction...

But me and two other friends are planning on writing a Shin Megami Tensai: Devil Survivor Fanfic. We've gotten day 0 and day 1 planned out so far, but after 5 hours of in depth discussion, one of my friends tends to burn out from the brainstorming...Meaning we'll need to do a lot more brainstorming sessions before we can actually start writing.

Rensenhito

Jan 28, 2009
I used to write fanfiction, back when I was but a wee little tyke. When I did, it was all anime stuff. DBZ especially. I looked back at some of them when I saw this thread. Now I wish I hadn't.
I really, REALLY don't like fanfic nowadays. It just seems kinda lazy, honestly. I see the appeal, but... still.

Sgt. Dante

Jul 30, 2008
Used to, looking back it's pretty much all crap.

Funny how I used to think it was really good xD

Melon Hunter

Chief Procrastinator
May 18, 2009
Well, you can probably tell which community I'm involved in from my avatar. I've only written one single-chapter fic so far, but I have some ideas for some other fics that I'm trying to develop. I've also read a few Professor Layton and World Ends With You fics that were pretty good.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
Fanfic reader here, as well as author of Massively Objectionable, a little-known Mass Effect fanfic.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7164831/1/Massively_Objectionable

Don't look at me like that for posing the link, it's advertising. Haven't updated for ages, though.

pewpewz

May 29, 2008
I used to back in the day and a few people read my works. Wrote mainly Harry Potter and Garth Nix stuff, although I dabbled a bit in stuff like Inuyasha. Got some pretty awesome feedback, but then I wanted to write my own book, got about 10,000 words of utter balls down and gave up when I realised I was only 1/10th of the way through my idea. After that I stopped writing...

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Well, I've tried reading fanfiction quite a few times, but I've yet to find one I actually enjoy.

Since you mentioned you read Code Geass fanfiction, are there any specific ones you could recommend?

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
I... basically avoid reading fanfiction like the plague...

I know there are well written ones out there, but unless people I know actually recommend them (I am of the dour sort when it comes to this kind of thing which means two things: one, little if any humour and if you must indulge then make it as gallows and black as possible; and two, no crossovers) thus making me difficult to please (yes, I know, I'm being a jerk).

However, I do write WH40K fanfics because it's practise for my 'serious writing' and it's the easiest to retcon (if it needs any retconning at all, just make up an Imperial colony world and go nuts). It's mostly Eldar/SM/IG/Chaos guff so *shrug* nnnnnn?

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I read them if they seem good, and of course I'll write one from time to time. Im doing a lit nuzlocke run, which is kinda like a fan fic (im going to add an event or two, make it slightly more dramatic cause the diamond/pearl game plot is someone dull. Besides, my friend gave me one he hacked in a rom file that follows the story I asked him to set up), Im working on a Soul Calibur one <url=http://soulcalibur.wikia.com/wiki/FanChar%3AErafael%3ATenlo>involving two of <url=http://soulcalibur.wikia.com/wiki/FanChar%3AErafael%3AAdelyn>my custom characters, was working on something dark tower inspired (the idea of jake at the halfway house mainly inspired it) till I over thought one of my characters and realized I completely derailed the story's pace, and I also have a the world ends with you one that takes place two games before Neku comes into the game.

I think thats all the fan fics I have, though only the Soul Cal one is anywhere near done, and I just hit the climax really.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
Fan fic is sic and wrong before the really weird stuff is gotten too.

Fanfic_warper

Jan 24, 2011
lunncal said:
Well, I've tried reading fanfiction quite a few times, but I've yet to find one I actually enjoy.

Since you mentioned you read Code Geass fanfiction, are there any specific ones you could recommend?
Lelouch of the Revolution
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Second Chance
Code Tekka: The Geass Knight
Fate's Debt
Code Geass: Prince of Masks

Mallefunction

Feb 17, 2011
It varies. I write fanfiction (mostly AC and Bioshock) but I read for all types of series. I love those 'what if' scenarios that some people pull out. Of course you usually have to wade through the mary sues, the shitty drama, the emo, the OOC characters and plot....basically the shit of the crop to get to the gold.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
Reader and writer [http://www.fanfiction.net/~anthonybault]. In fact I've gained quite the reputation via fanfiction, as noted by the fact I've somehow ended up in the authors list on this site [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/FanficRecs/MegaCrossover].

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Fanfic_warper said:
lunncal said:

Lelouch of the Revolution
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Second Chance
Code Tekka: The Geass Knight
Fate's Debt
Code Geass: Prince of Masks
Thanks, I didn't even realise people had written fanfiction for Code Geass. I only finished watching the series a few days ago, and I'm surprised it never occurred to me to look.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
I've written a couple of fan-fic short stories (Bioshock and an anime) and I've read a few, but I prefer to read published works as I have precious little time for reading fiction normally as it is.

Fanfic_warper

Jan 24, 2011
lunncal said:
Thanks, I didn't even realise people had written fanfiction for Code Geass. I only finished watching the series a few days ago, and I'm surprised it never occurred to me to look.
there's almost always a fanfiction genre for anything these days.

to most people who look for good stuff, I usually say just go to the community of choice and filter for fics with main character and 20,000 word count and then manually sort the rest of the rubbish from there.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
I hate fanfiction.

That being said, I enjoy writing ludicrous harry potter fanfiction.