Poll: Far cry 3 or Dishonored?

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Hiya escapists.

So I just kicked off my pc-gaming career by playing through Portal, and I figure it's time I purchased one of the larger-scale games I was planning on starting off with.
The options are pretty much limited to Dishonored and Far cry 3 (although Arkham asylum looks awfully tempting there at 5?)

Which game do you figure I should buy?
I enjoyed Far cry 2 a good bit, although some of its problems bothered me a bit. Stuff like the rabid, hostile, x-ray vision endowed enemies at every turn of the street.
I also like stealth gameplay, but I haven't really played a lot of stealth games.
Dishonored is also a bit cheaper than Far cry.

Sennune

Apr 15, 2009
I have both Far Cry 3 and Dishonored for 360. I can't speak to the technical parts associated with playing them on PC. For the sake of story and gameplay though, I would definitely suggest Far Cry 3. I love both games. I'm a major fan of the stealth genre (Deus Ex, Hitman, Thief, etc.) and while Dishonored is a great addition to it, Far Cry 3 has so many features and expansive gameplay it's worth hours more of investment than Dishonored. It also doesn't have the omniscient AI of Far Cry 2.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Sennune said:
It also doesn't have the omniscient AI of Far Cry 2.
Can you drive down a road without being attacked by every person you meet on the road the second they spot you this time 'round though?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Jonluw said:
Sennune said:
It also doesn't have the omniscient AI of Far Cry 2.
Can you drive down a road without being attacked by every person you meet on the road the second they spot you this time 'round though?
How many enemies there are depends on whether or not you clear out enemy camps. You clear a camp and the enemies in that area are gone. Plus, all enemies are easily spotted from a far, because they wear mostly red.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
How many enemies there are depends on whether or not you clear out enemy camps. You clear a camp and the enemies in that area are gone.
I believe that was the case in Far cry 2 as well. What I'm wondering is if the enemies are able to instantly recognize you as an enemy from afar. Do you at all meet people that don't try to kill you, given the chance, when you're out and about?
Plus, all enemies are easily spotted from a far, because they wear mostly red.
Why do game designers always choose the pair of contrasting colours for which colourblindness is the most common?

Sennune

Apr 15, 2009
Jonluw said:
Casual Shinji said:
How many enemies there are depends on whether or not you clear out enemy camps. You clear a camp and the enemies in that area are gone.
I believe that was the case in Far cry 2 as well. What I'm wondering is if the enemies are able to instantly recognize you as an enemy from afar. Do you at all meet people that don't try to kill you, given the chance, when you're out and about?
Why do game designers always choose the pair of contrasting colours for which colourblindness is the most common?
Yes, you do meet people who do not try to kill you. In areas that have a camp you've captured, you run into friendlies that patrol the area. There are some "random encounter" situations where someone may ask you to help repair their car or something. There are also civilians that you can run into I think in captured and uncaptured places.

In areas with uncaptured camps the roads are well patrolled by red draped enemies. They won't identify you immediately, but they can spot an upper-middle class white boy from Cali pretty quickly. You can break line of sight pretty quickly, by ducking into tall grass, obscuring vision with rocks and trees, or diving into nearby streams. Once you break line of sight, they'll search your last known location and give up if they don't find you.

I personally find driving a moot point in the game. Nothing beats sneaking through the jungle with a bow, coming across some pirates, and seeing them be attacked by some komodo dragons. Hang gliding, zip-lining, running, and boating, are my favorite ways to travel.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
Far Cry 3 had better stealth mechanics than Dishonored, and Dishonored was the one game that was suppose to be about stealth where as FC3 was an open world shooter.

If that isn't reason to get FC3, I don't know what is. :p

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Jonluw said:
Casual Shinji said:
In Far Cry 2 you had enemies posted at compounds and intersections, which would almost always respawn the next time you traveled past it. In Far Cry 3, if you clear a camp it stays clear and makes the surrounding area enemy free from there on out.

As for enemies seeing you. There's an arrow display that shows how close an enemy is to spotting you if your within their line of sight. If it appears you just move away, or hide behind something.

xefaros

Jun 27, 2012
Nomanslander said:
Far Cry 3 had better stealth mechanics than Dishonored, and Dishonored was the one game that was suppose to be about stealth where as FC3 was an open world shooter.

You seriously post about a gun game having better stealth mechanics over a stealth game?
1)No stealth jump
2)Alerted guards over separate sequences
3)Bad platforming
4)Quick time events
5)Same detection system(both idiotic)
6)Easier to eliminate every1
7)Easy way out(free the bear)
8)Open world
9)Pacifistic option unexistant
10)UNLIMITED THROWING OBJECTS
11)Unlimited supply of enemies already alerted
i made my point i would continue if you please so

For the original poster:For your money's worth get Far Cry

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I found FC3 to be dull as ditchwater. At its core it's a very plain shooter. The only reason I kept playing was to see more of Vaas's antics. Eventually gave up and just watched the cutscenes on Youtube. Much more fun.

Dishonored... eh, it had its flaws and the story was nothing but wasted potential but I enjoyed it.

Of the two, I'd say Dishonored is unquestionably the better game. More interesting and original mechanics, waaay better setting, better and more interesting visual design.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
xefaros said:
Nomanslander said:

You seriously post about a gun game having better stealth mechanics over a stealth game?
1)No stealth jump
2)Alerted guards over separate sequences
3)Bad platforming
4)Quick time events
5)Same detection system(both idiotic)
6)Easier to eliminate every1
7)Easy way out(free the bear)
8)Open world
9)Pacifistic option unexistant
10)UNLIMITED THROWING OBJECTS
11)Unlimited supply of enemies already alerted
i made my point i would continue if you please so

For the original poster:For your money's worth get Far Cry
Yes, I do, 100%

Far Cry 3 implemented a better detection mechanic than Dishonored did. Where Dishonored felt nonsensical with enemies detecting me at points I felt didn't make sense, and not other times I was in plain view. The detection meter in Far Cry 3 felt a hell of a lot more refined and player friendly where Dishonored felt dodgy.

I played both games, and that was my overall feel and assessment of both games. This isn't from an opinion, this is from my thorough experience. What games were you playing?

If you can't get the detection system right, nothing else matters. Not saying Dishonored's system was the worse, Skyrim wins that award. :p

Also I'd go so far as to say Far Cry 3 has the best detection mechanic I've ever seen in a game. And the AI was better. In Far Cry 3, the enemies actually search ever nook and cranny looking for you. In Dishonored they keep stopping to look behind the OBVIOUS chest high wall I might be crouching behind.

TecnoMonkey

Jul 2, 2012
Well since I've only played Far Cry 3 and it's my favorite game this gen (not GOTY though, it has it's flaws), I would say that my oppinion here is liitle biased.

Can someone tell me if in Dishonored when you are spotted by an investigating guard all of the guards are alerted within a nano second of the first guard seeing you, because that's what happened in Deus Ex: Human Revolution countless times and it's the reason that I think Far Cry 3 has a better stealth than a prequel to my favorite game, no more complaining about having the speed to kill the guard that spotted me without him muttering a single word and being rewarded by having the whole fucking place on red alert, since the guards there are telephatic. I mean I really like DE:HR but that shit was infuriating.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
TecnoMonkey said:
Can someone tell me if in Dishonored when you are spotted by an investigating guard all of the guards are alerted within a nano second of the first guard seeing you,
The guard and the guards in his immediate vicinity are alerted. If the guard runs to get an alarm and passes by other guards, they'll be alerted. If they set off an alarm then a few more outlying guards may come. It's not an entire level detection. I think it's fairly realistic and very fair.

OT:

I have played through Dishonored a few times now. I have not touched Farcry 3. Dishonored is a fantastic game with fun gameplay elements and a fairly ok story. It's short for playthrough time though. You'll beat it the first time in maybe 5 or 6 hours. The thing is, the game changes ever so slightly each time you play based on your actions, so there's some fun replayability. I just finished my pacifist run and only have one more to do for not buying any supernatural powers.

That being said, for getting your money's worth, I'd say Farcry 3 would be a better deal. The fact that it's open world with respawning enemies in a sprawling map just gives you more gameplay for your money.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
If you enjoyed Far Cry 2(which I personally think was one of the worst games I've had the misfortune of playing), then I think you'll enjoy Far Cry 3. I'm playing it now, and so far, it's better than Far Cry 2 in every way, but I don't consider that a particularly difficult feat.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
As a person who actually got far in Far Cry 3 (I can tell by what people are saying that they're still on the first island fighting Vaas aka early in the game) that while the stealth somewhat works in the early game it really drops off fast. The standard enemy is fairly dumb and you easily pop them for a distance or go up close throw a rock to distract and stab him in the neck with a knife from behind. However as the game goes on they throw different types of enemies at you with varying levels of intelligence/body armor. This becomes a problem very quickly because very few enemies will fall from anything else but a headshot and even then there are enemies who wear headgear to prevent that. This is where another failed stealth element comes into play, the cover system. You could be a mile away where the enemies look absolutely tiny by the magnification of your sniper scope, yet if you're not actively in the "cover mechanic" they will almost always spot your ass instantly, which is incredibly dumb.

Furthermore the take down system, while amusing, is very bad for stealth the only stealthy one is the normal take down. The rest are noisy and will alert everyone. You can attach silencers and use bow, but like mentioned previously this only works great for the beginning enemies, as soon as you reach other parts of the game where everyone and their mother is wearing body armor you have a hard ass time taking down anyone before they scream bloody murder. And in the later areas pretty much every enemy stands within the line of sight of like 2 other guys, sure you might pick off one straggler but you're never going to completely lure away another guy, they'll just stand there turn to where you threw a rock and go "what was that?" or "I thought I heard something." Hell I think the designers recognized this fault and were like "oh... whoops" so they basically let you disguise as the enemy and positioned these guys so close together just so the solution to the problem would be to use the chain takedown on each camp.

Don't get me wrong, it is still a fun game (when the occasional bugs don't bone you over), it just isn't the stealth paradise some people are making it out to be.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
If you liked Far Cry 2 and had issues with any number of the issues the game plainly had, methinks going for Far Cry 3 is a good choice. Far Cry 3 is a splendid game, and it borrows a lot of the good stuff of, say, Halflife 2, Metal Gear Solid and the Call of Duty series. It even has homeopathic dosages of Ass Creed and Mirror's blunt Edge, so it's not only bearable, it's a pretty delicious cocktail of everything gaming has to offer.

Sometimes you wish you could do the supernatural stuff of Dishonoured, but Far Cry 3 is just a good game all around. If Skyrim tried to get RPG'ing more action-y, Far Cry 3 just successfully made actiony gaming a bit more RPG-ish. Also, you can play it pretty much the way you want. I find the most rewarding, the sneaky, stealthy, not-being-detected approach to be the most fun. If that gets too repetitive, play a little bit of any movie with Arnold Schwarzenegger and big guns in it. You can make things go boom and burn shit down, if you so please.

The rest is like spontaneous boot camp to create someone, something like John Rambo. I had a blast from beginning to end.

I myself prefer Dishonoured, but I take it it's a more refined, more stylish, maybe a more acquired taste.

Far Cry 3 is Jack Daniels and Coca Cola. Slightly intoxicating, spiking your blood sugar levels and entertaining you in a somewhat cheap yet still pretty decadent way. It's a well-made product for the masses. Like a really slick Volkswagen with all the options included.

Dishonoured is Hendrick's Gin. Or Nikka from the Barrel. You might love it, but it might also make you cringe and - for a wee moment - make you wish you weren't born.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Rednog said:
As a person who actually got far in Far Cry 3 (I can tell by what people are saying that they're still on the first island fighting Vaas aka early in the game) that while the stealth somewhat works in the early game it really drops off fast. The standard enemy is fairly dumb and you easily pop them for a distance or go up close throw a rock to distract and stab him in the neck with a knife from behind. However as the game goes on they throw different types of enemies at you with varying levels of intelligence/body armor. This becomes a problem very quickly because very few enemies will fall from anything else but a headshot and even then there are enemies who wear headgear to prevent that. This is where another failed stealth element comes into play, the cover system. You could be a mile away where the enemies look absolutely tiny by the magnification of your sniper scope, yet if you're not actively in the "cover mechanic" they will almost always spot your ass instantly, which is incredibly dumb.

Furthermore the take down system, while amusing, is very bad for stealth the only stealthy one is the normal take down. The rest are noisy and will alert everyone. You can attach silencers and use bow, but like mentioned previously this only works great for the beginning enemies, as soon as you reach other parts of the game where everyone and their mother is wearing body armor you have a hard ass time taking down anyone before they scream bloody murder. And in the later areas pretty much every enemy stands within the line of sight of like 2 other guys, sure you might pick off one straggler but you're never going to completely lure away another guy, they'll just stand there turn to where you threw a rock and go "what was that?" or "I thought I heard something." Hell I think the designers recognized this fault and were like "oh... whoops" so they basically let you disguise as the enemy and positioned these guys so close together just so the solution to the problem would be to use the chain takedown on each camp.

Don't get me wrong, it is still a fun game (when the occasional bugs don't bone you over), it just isn't the stealth paradise some people are making it out to be.
I honestly didn't have too much trouble with that, but then I played the game primarily as a sniper. And as soon as I obtained that final sniper rifle with a silencer attachment I was merrily stealthing my way through the rest of the game. Only having to worry about the Heavies, which moved so slow I could easily pop 'm in the head. Hills are your friends.

Throughout most of the game I forgot I even had the rocks, except for that one section where you need to sneak by without killing anyone.

The game does outstay its welcome though past a certain point in the story, and it's strange Ubisoft didn't notice this during production.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
Rednog said:

I honestly didn't have too much trouble with that, but then I played the game primarily as a sniper. And as soon as I obtained that final sniper rifle with a silencer attachment I was merrily stealthing my way through the rest of the game. Only having to worry about the Heavies, which moved so slow I could easily pop 'm in the head. Hills are your friends.

Throughout most of the game I forgot I even had the rocks, except for that one section where you need to sneak by without killing anyone.

The game does outstay its welcome though past a certain point in the story, and it's strange Ubisoft didn't notice this during production.
Two things, I'm playing on the hardest difficulty, maybe that's why the enemies are spotting me damn near instantly. I swear just a few minutes ago I was playing and I was sitting in a radio tower and one guy in a camp way down below spotted me a second after I sniped the guy next to him and he managed to wing me with his freaking AK47.
Second, I tried to stay a sniper but I reached max tatau right as I got the wingsuit, so I just gave up and threw in the towel when I'd try to snipe a regular guy with the 2nd sniper (the one that has no modifiable attachments but comes with a scope/silencer) and all that happened was me shooting off his stupid helmet and him going OMG SNIPER and them just swarming my position or all ducking behind cover and staying there. And since I had maxed out my tatau I just started running into camps and just chain comboing everyone.