Poll: Far Cry 4, Wolfenstein: TNO, or Metro Redux?

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
I am torn between three fps games.

From what I heard all the games are great, but which one has that edge to stand out form other two?

xSerix

Mar 29, 2012
From that list, Metro. A couple of months ago I probably would have said Wolfenstein but on thinking about it, everything in that game is too easy, too eager to get you into the combat. Even on the higher difficulties, whilst the guns are fun to use (and way more fun to use than FarCry and Metro) there really isn't a super challenging level. In terms of the second point, I feel the way points are overdone, every few feet there's a way point just trying to get you quickly into the next combat.

I think Metro has a brilliant atmosphere, I generally liked the characters more and the guns were fun- ish to use, though Wolfenstein has a better variety.

Still, after all of that I'd say don't get any of them and get Shadow Warrior imo, best single player fps game of the past 5 years at least.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Whatever you decide, I wouldn't recommend Far Cry 4. It's strange to say it, but I've finished both #2 and 4 and yet I really didn't like them. Weird, right? Why would I finish games that I didn't truly enjoy?

I think I just wanted my money's worth. And 4 reminded me a lot of 2 in the sense that you have certain activities which are repeated ad nauseam and it just never changes.
Sure, you get access to a gyrocopter but the best weapons are accessed only late in the game. You may end up finding superior weapons long before they're gifted to you for accomplishing certain tasks. There's an arena, but that can only be repeated so many times. There's plane wrecks that all look alike and a serial killer sub-quest that doesn't seem to pay off. And then there was one true stealth level but it was fairly broken for me.
It's weird too because I was very patient with Skyrim and Fallout 3 (most of which was played with the stealth suit), so I can grind with the best of players. Maybe I'm just exhausted with sandbox titles.

Unless you're playing on PC and there's a ton of mods, I wouldn't recommend #4.

As always, your mileage may vary.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
While I personally wasn't engrossed by Metro 2033 (the 2010 game, not Redux), the collection is probably the best value for money. FarCry 4 can wait until you've done FarCry 3 (assuming you haven't played it).

I highly recommend New Order, though. It combines the more exploration minded nature of older shooters with a nice blend of regenerating health and action as newer shooters. It's good for stealth freaks like myself, but can be completed by going guns blazing which is nice. The levels are great (a few boss fights aside), the characters are mostly engaging and the story moves along at a nice pace. I am still genuinely surprised that New Order absorbed me as much as it did.

If you like New Order, I would highly recommend The Old Blood as well, but baby steps here.

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
I was gonna make a fuss about (the original) Metro 2033 being the goddamn best gem of 7th gen, but let's face it: Redux is 2 games for the prise of one.

asdfen

Oct 27, 2011
all of the above
no reason to skip any of the games listed as they are good and deserve a chance. All up to your personal preference of setting

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Far Cry 4 will give you the longest play time. With it being open-world and everything. If you've played Far Cry 3, it is just more of that.

I really didn't care for Wolfenstein personally. So I shan't recommend it.

Metro Redux is pretty good. Looks nice even on console. You can even choose which gameplay style you want. Between more of a survival feeling or a more action-based game.

Xeros

Aug 13, 2008
I haven't played Wolfenstein, and much as I liked the Metro series, I don't know what the Redux brings to the table. Far Cry ...kinda sucked save the ending. Gonna have to go with Metro just for the incredible atmosphere.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I'm tempted to play all three of those (I haven't). I played FC3, which I liked a LOT. If FC4 really is "more of the same", go nuts.

OldDirtyCrusty

Mar 12, 2012
FC4 was fun but after the middle part i just wanted to be done with it. Aside from the ShangriLa missions i liked the linear cinematic styled ones from FC3 more. FC4s map is full of collectibles and sidestuff i couldn't bother with. Seems like Ubisoft felt the same way since you don't have to do/collect everything for achievements/trophies.
If you like coop and multi FC4 has the advantage over Metro and Wolfenstein (obviously).

Can't say much about Metro since i haven't played it yet but i heard and read only positive opinions so far.

Had a blast with Wolfenstein: TOB and if TNO is the same consider a purchase.

I would go for both Metro and Wolfenstein. FC4 was ok but seems like the ubi formular isn't for me anymore.

Ambient_Malice

Sep 22, 2014
Metro: Redux definitely. Decent playtime, good writing, good music, solid gameplay. (Gameplay reminds me of GoldenEye Wii/Reloaded in some good ways.)

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
What kind of game do you want?
If you want an open world shooter that lets you experiment, run off on your own and contains some great emergent gameplay, go for Far Cry 4.
If you want an atmospheric shooter with lots of mood, ambiance and a tightly written story, go for the Metro pack.
If you want an action-packed, old-school-but-not-quite shooter that allows you to seamlessly switch between traditional cover shooting and run and gun, Wolfenstein is for you.

I love all three games and all three have their own pros and cons, you just need to decide what is most important.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
Out of those three games, I'd go for Wolfenstein, with Metro a VERY close second and FarCry a distant third.

Then get Wolfenstein: The Old Blood, which is just as good as New Order.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
all 3 are good having played all of them fairly recently I would recommend Far Cry 4 as it offers the most stupid fun.
Wolfenstein is great and all but it's short and once you're done you have no reason to go back to it. Metro is great and the setting is really cool but is more centered on it's story and atmosphere than the gameplay, there were a bunch of times I walked away from the game cause I just got bored, also I'm tired of the, worlds gone to shit and only you can save it story, and like Wolfenstein once you're done that's it, you're done.

FC4 has a bunch of alternate things to do and if you play it without using the map and relying only on the scenery (roads, smoke, water flow, etc.) you'll have a blast as the game is greatly improved by this

G00N3R7883

Feb 16, 2011
First of all, they are all good games, you can't really make a bad choice. I would recommend playing all of them eventually.

Personally I think Wolfenstein is the best, followed by Metro, then Far Cry 4. Wolfenstein had that over the top, old school FPS feel that I find most enjoyable, but it also had a surprisingly good story. BJ Blazkowicz was far more than just the dumb grunt that I expected.

Far Cry 4 is good, but I didn't enjoy it as much as FC3, which I loved. I think my enjoyment was hindered by the feeling of "been there, done that". There is a joke about Ubisoft: The Game, but that's how I felt when I was playing FC4. There are so many mechanics shared between Far Cry, Assassins Creed, Watch Dogs, etc, they've all started to kind of feel like the same game, so each one that comes out feels less and less exciting.

dohnut king

Sep 22, 2014
All three are good, but only one of them lets you use lasers to fight Nazi robots on the moon.

Play all three, but Wolfenstein first.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
dohnut king said:
All three are good, but only one of them lets you use dual-wield laser rifles to fight Nazi robots on the moon.

Play all three, but Wolfenstein first.
Ditto'd [footnote]well, apart from the "all three" bit, because I've not played FC4 and have zero interest in doing so.[/footnote], and fix'd!

Wolfenstein and Metro in that order (both are cracking, but very different, games), and then Far Cry if you really want to.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
I haven't played wolfenstien, so my vote in null there.

FarCry was bad. It was sub-par at it's finest moments, and a joke in regards to challenge.

Metro series is also fairly easy, a little hand-holdey at times, but still very fun when the other characters leave you alone. (Which is fairly often) Pay on the hardest difficulty for a decent challenge.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
I voted Wolfenstein: The New Order (with the Metro: Redux bundle a very close second). I was honestly pretty surprised by how much I ended up enjoying the new Wolf game.

Wolf 3D was pretty much what got me into gaming, and Return to Castle Wolfenstein is probably one of my favorite FPS games to date. I never did play Wolfenstein (the one between RtCW and W:TNO) because a good friend of mine who also loved the franchise absolutely hated it.

I bought W:TNO kinda on a whim during a sale on Steam a few months back, not really expecting much, but I ended up having a blast with it. I don't think I'd pay $60 for it (I'm finding fewer and fewer examples of games that I would, admittedly), but I certainly have zero regrets about the $30 I paid.