Poll: Favorite Final Fantasy System/ FF14 Idea

Ghost8585

Jul 21, 2009
Search Bar Approved... I think.

Anyways, the title say what I wanted to ask so there's that part. (Sidenote- I could not find any info on the systems used in FF1 - 5, if you want me to add them just say so thanks.) But instead of waiting for another FF14 topic to open I want so share a thought about it.

Squeenix seems quite happy to use the Job system AGAIN for FF14, but while playing #7 on my PS3 lately I thought that the Materia System would work much better in an MMO. I mean think about it-

You can change your character loadout on the fly, provided you have gil to buy new materia. Conversely you can keep your materia and grow it with AP allowing for better magic. This covers short term and long term needs of the player. Giving the game both flexibility AND depth.

Mastered materia can be sold at high prices, encouraging player to player sales/trade.

Weapons/Armor will need to improve in tangent with materia, with more slots to utilize.

So what are your thoughts? Pros / Cons? Suggestions? It might be too late for Square Enix to change it but it's not like they would listen anyways. >_<

Edit- Sorry accidentally hit enter too soon.

wrecker77

May 31, 2008
A poll with one choice?

Hmmmmmmm

Its an mmo AND an ff game. I wouldnt know how to play either.

Ghost8585

Jul 21, 2009
IdealistCommi said:
The poll has one option........

OT: I agree with you. However, the job system is good for people who want to create a niche for them selves, and it is better for classes. And you would need alot of different Materia to prevent people from having the same load-out at higher levels.
I think you could still create a 'class' by the materia you used, it just wouldn't be obvious as having it say 'healer' on your info. Or, your class would change depending on what type of materia you were using. Say if you had 'cure', 'heal', and 'life' materia your class would change to 'white mage'

Magnatek

A Miserable Pile of Honesty
Jul 17, 2009
I'd rather have character with truly defined roles with unique abilities with each. That's why I go with FFIX's system. I happen to like the system, as it gives more strategy to fights. It makes sense as to who would be chosen in your party. The job system has it's moments, but the crystal system is the clear cut (ha, gem humor) choice for me.

Ghost8585

Jul 21, 2009
IdealistCommi said:
Ghost8585 said:
IdealistCommi said:
The poll has one option........

OT: I agree with you. However, the job system is good for people who want to create a niche for them selves, and it is better for classes. And you would need alot of different Materia to prevent people from having the same load-out at higher levels.
I think you could still create a 'class' by the materia you used, it just wouldn't be obvious as having it say 'healer' on your info. Or, your class would change depending on what type of materia you were using. Say if you had 'cure', 'heal', and 'life' materia your class would change to 'white mage'
Oh, now I know what you mean. But still, you would need a large amount of Materia to match the amount of possible skills that would come form a Class based system.

I still agree with you on the Materia system though.
Yeah, I guess that is a good point. I just though about the flexibility and depth that the materia system offered and thought it might apply well. But I don't play MMO's so my opinion isn't very 'scientific'

Ghost8585

Jul 21, 2009
Magnatek said:
I'd rather have character with truly defined roles with unique abilities with each. That's why I go with FFIX's system. I happen to like the system, as it gives more strategy to fights. It makes sense as to who would be chosen in your party. The job system has it's moments, but the crystal system is the clear cut (ha, gem humor) choice for me.
#9 is my favorite FF and the system was part of the reason why. I can see your point but I was thinking of how it would work in an MMO. While I have never played one I would imagine not being the best class for a particular quest would be a real bummer.

hiddendragonv5

Apr 18, 2009
Ghost8585 said:

Anyways, the title say what I wanted to ask so there's that part. (Sidenote- I could not find any info on the systems used in FF1 - 5, if you want me to add them just say so thanks.) But instead of waiting for another FF14 topic to open I want so share a thought about it.

Squeenix seems quite happy to use the Job system AGAIN for FF14, but while playing #7 on my PS3 lately I thought that the Materia System would work much better in an MMO. I mean think about it-

You can change your character loadout on the fly, provided you have gil to buy new materia. Conversely you can keep your materia and grow it with AP allowing for better magic. This covers short term and long term needs of the player. Giving the game both flexibility AND depth.

Mastered materia can be sold at high prices, encouraging player to player sales/trade.

Weapons/Armor will need to improve in tangent with materia, with more slots to utilize.

So what are your thoughts? Pros / Cons? Suggestions? It might be too late for Square Enix to change it but it's not like they would listen anyways. >_<

Personally I liked the materia way not only can you change on the fly but not have the limited fighting style as job's would. In FF7 when you mastered materia you could spawn more of that materia like the rare and powerful summons and make them more and have like 3 zero Bahamut and if crazy enought knights of the round ( 13 x 3 ).

Ghost8585

Jul 21, 2009
hiddendragonv5 said:
Ghost8585 said:

Personally I liked the materia way not only can you change on the fly but not have the limited fighting style as job's would. In FF7 when you mastered materia you could spawn more of that materia like the rare and powerful summons and make them more and have like 3 zero Bahamut and if crazy enought knights of the round ( 13 x 3 ).
Haha I never got to do that, but I plan to in this play though. I remember the ridiculously long clip you had to watch when casting KotR though. I could make a bowl of Ramen by the time it was done.

Meado

Apr 27, 2008
Depends how they want their game to be played. There are two ways to go about it, and for lack of proper names for these methods, I shall now dub them the WoW way, and the FF11 way.

With the WoW way, you pick your race/class combo, and you stick to it. You can make slight tweaks to your character, but you're only really changing how effective you are at your designated role (bar a few jack-of-all-trade classes, of course). In this case, FF9's system would be best, allowing you to alter your resistances and passive buffs on the fly, as well as having a few interesting options, like causing your melee attacks to heal your target, or automatically using a potion when you get hit. Okay, some of these would need to be altered to be usable online, but it would be interesting to see in action.

With the FF11 way (the one they're going with in 14), you make your character, but you can change your class at any time. It's even encouraged that you level up some different classes so that you can switch if you fancy a change. The materia system you mentioned would fit in here, but there'd have to be a lot of different materia to allow customisation.