Poll: Favorite Mass Effect class (please read before vote)

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
ME1- Pff, doesn't matter, combat is a broken pile of shite no matter the class.
ME2-VANGUARD
ME3-VANGUAAAAAAAAAAAARD

I like Vanguard.

Collegeboy21

Jan 26, 2010
I've played all 3 many times through each and have tried all classes in all 3, some multiple times.

ME - Adept, because the biotic effects are pretty IMBA when you just start throwing them around during a fight.
ME2 - Sentinel, because the way the combat changed, it was just the most versatile class, and generally a lot of fun.
ME3 - Adept again, but by a much narrower margin. ME3 made all of the classes genuinely fun to play, as all were effective in different ways. I just love the biotic detonations, especially for crowd control. Combine that with a good pistol and you're golden.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Uhhh Vanguard I guess, it matches my style in shooters and RPGs, the suicidal high damage class. Grab shotgun, get close and blast away.
Even with the ability to recover your health by using biotic charge in 2 & 3 it's still a very risky class to play as with lower shields and such.

Short version: It's a fun time with shoot-guns.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
Soldier all the way through. I did do other playthroughs as the half tech soldier and the half biotic, but I fuckin' loved being a soldier. Reasons? I dunno, I like having a wide range of weapons, the adrenaline mode was good for kicking some serious ass, and I really just think I have an easier time believing in full blown soldier Shep as a leader.

Other less emphasised reasons:
ME1: there was only one other pure soldier, I figured I'd rather be the tank than suppourt the tank.
the assault rifle is badass
I like wearing heavy armour

ME2: the power layout was perfect for my play style
team was very diverse, but still only contained one soldier and I didn't want to spend the first x amount of missions waiting for a tank

ME3: hell, I cam this far playing a soldier, why stop now?

kommando367

Oct 9, 2008
Overall: Infiltrator.

In ME1, they had snipers, pistols, decryption (opens locked objects), and immunity.
Easily the most overpowered class in that game.

In ME2 and ME3, they could turn invisible and take faces off with sniper rifles, only being out-damaged by soldiers in ME2 and warp + throw detonation in ME3

TIMESWORDSMAN

Wishes he had fewer cap letters.
Mar 7, 2008
Being that I like pepperoni pizza and vanilla ice-cream, I originally chose the Soldier class to play, and I still find it to be the most comfortable of the set. Sure, I miss out on all the cool powers, but charging up the side of the Citadel, guns blazing and shields soaking up rounds like sponges, is just to much fun to pass up.
Mind you, in multiplayer I play Vanguard. Running around stabbing people is as cathartic as it is exhilarating.

Samantha Burt

Jan 30, 2012
My favourite is the Infiltrator. I love being a long range class, and the addition of stealth in ME2 made it all the more favourable. Since I was trying to mold a story, I never even considered changing classes. On my second run through, I tried a soldier, but felt more compelled to try shotguns and AR's, so I never really got into it that much. Honestly, give me long range and sneaking I'm fine. All the better if I can jam a knife in someone's back. (Not in real life, of course... >.>)

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Well in Mass Effect 1 the combat was so dull that playing as anything but a Soldier was wildly inefficient.
Every other class was just a non optimal version of the soldier.
Not so much that it was my favorite class it was just the only one that worked.

In Mass Effect 2 everything except the Vanguard was fun. My favorite for ME2 was the Infiltrator because I love the ridiculously OP sniper along with the cloaking was just awesome.

In Mass Effect 3 the controls were so broken trying to take cover was a death sentence so the only remotely playable class is vanguard. Warp, Charge, Biotic explosion, Nova, Warp, Charge, Biotic explosion, Nova, Warp, Charge, Biotic explosion, Nova, Warp, Charge, Biotic explosion, Nova, Warp, Charge, Biotic explosion, Nova, Shoot Marauder Shields, pick a color win the game.

Adepts are also kind of good in ME 3 because with the right armor you can get your Warp, Push combo to turn around in less then 2.5 seconds and make rain biotic explosions all up in that *****, but good fucking luck against Cerberus and since you spend 60% of the game against them for no fucking reason anything except Vanguard and you're just hitting your face against a wall

So that's my mechanical choice, Personally my Soldier shepard had the best story, Sleeping with Liara, Cheating on Liara with Garrus, Liara being a total **** in Mass Effect 3, then finally letting Garrus down easy and falling in love with Samantha Traynor.
I'm sure she did other stuff too, but none of it mattered. Her favorite color was red.

Monsieur E

Jul 1, 2011
I like the Engineer best overall, especially in ME1, where a good portion of the enemies you're fighting are synthetic. I also really like the class in ME3, because Tech Explosions. My favorite in ME2, however was the Sentinel.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Soldier is pretty much the only way to go in the first game, but in the other two Vanguard is a goddamn beast. You can still use most weapons and useful biotics (i.e. Pull, in addition to the Vanguard exclusives), and in 3 once you get the charge-refills-your-barrier upgrade you're basically invincible.

sunsetspawn

Jul 25, 2009
Creative writing, because after Mass Effect 1 that class was empty.

The Vanguard was pretty good for getting through 1 on Insanity. 2 & 3 weren't interesting enough for me to really work them over, but the Soldier was probably all you needed for the endless shooting galleries as they were both cakewalks on Hardcore.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Sentinel would be my favorite. I actually used to use a soldier all the time, but then I made a sentinel for Hardcore/Insanity run of the trilogy. I found that the sentinel was possibly the best class to play through Mass Effect 2 and 3 on Insanity. Having both biotic and tech abilities is also really nice, since it gives you more flexibility when choosing squad members on higher difficulties. Plus you get that sweet tech armor.

Vanguard is runner up, just for the sheer fun the class provides. There is just something so satisfying about doing a biotic charge, using a nova and finishing the guy off with a heavy melee attack. Granted I haven't played her on anything above normal in all 3 games... so I don't know how useful the class is in higher difficulties.

Infiltrator I haven't used in a while, but I did enjoy what they did with it as the series went on. I never used Adept much and I never even touched the engineer class, so I can't really say anything about them.

I actually can't use my soldier Shepard(my very first character)anymore because of how boring the class is to play for me now.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
the hidden eagle said:
What sort of weapons do you use the most? I often find my self using the sniper rifles and assault rifles for my main soilder Femshep.
All of them.
In ME1 I mainly used the assault rifle and shotgun because aiming with the sniper was bullshit and the early pistols just didn't do enough damage for their fire rate. In ME2 I used the burst fire assault rifle, the widowmaker, the heavy pistol Mordin gives you, the second shotgun, and the collector particle beam thingy. Then with ME3 I basically did the same load out only I used the blackwidow and the claymore shotgun. My recharge wait was high as fuck, but the weapons were strong enough to fuck up most enemies in 1 or 2 shots.

Why do you ask, if you don't mind me asking why you asked?

Sack of Cheese

Sep 12, 2011
ME1: Engineer (so many Geths to hack!!)
ME2: They revamped Vanguard, made them sooo much fun to play!
ME3: Engineer + Tali's skill = defensive drone that stuns any enemies that come your way, tracking drone that freezes enemies, turret that fire missiles!! It makes fighting 5 Brutes on Insanity by yourself easy.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
the hidden eagle said:
Well everyone I know who used the soilder class always had a weapon they like to use in certain situations, so I just wanted to know what sort of weapons you liked to use. My soilder Femshep is a markswoman so she likes to use long range/mid range weapons.
Ah...I guess if I were to look back at how I played I'd say blitzkrieg was my style of play. Get in with a huge amount of force, dominate smaller enemies, make bigger ones check their shit and hope to god I drop them before they regroup. And if they did regroup, run back and get some support from one of the team mates.

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
Engineers have an answer for everything.

I sometimes enjoy playing Biotic classes, but I find it annoying how all it takes to stop my superpowered onslaught is one enemy having the wherewithal to put on a fucking shield.

Note: I have yet to try playing as a Sentinel.