Poll: Favorite Metroid Game? (Conditions inside)

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Since Metroid 2 remake had come and gone and Federation Force released and the possibility of a Metroid Prime 4 on the horizon, I feel Metroid-ish today. Though I have mentioned that Robocop and Star Trek are my fav Sci-Fi I think its safe to say Metroid is my absolute favorite Sci-Fi related property if I think of Sci Fi in general.

So in honor of the series lets poll.

Now my conditions are this. I am eliminating some games out of the list because some of the games are rather dated and have much superior remakes (Metroid 1 and 2 respectively).

Also I for some reason I can only have 8 options so I complied Metroid Other M, Metroid Prime Hunters, and Metroid Prime: Federation Force (Abbriviated as FF)

EDIT: I change the left > right ranking to up and down smiles to frown.

Metroid Prime :DDDDDDDDDD
Super Metroid :DDDDDD
Prime 2: Echoes :DDD
Fusion :DD
Zero Mission :D
Prime 3: Corruption :)
AM2R :)
Other M :|
Prime: Hunters :|
Federation Force I have not played.

I love Metroid Prime 1 so much I do anything for a built from the ground up remake with graphics on the level of Crysis 3.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Fusion, cause I beat it and it really stands out to me. Ive played and beat Zero Mission, but well, that blue/yellow goo suit is definitely different than her normal suit and is more memorable for me.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Well, my list is identical to yours, except Zero Mission and Fusion are switched.

Also, I prefer the Wii versions of the Prime games over the Gamecube originals. Freely aiming/looking around while on the move makes them so much more enjoyable to me, even if it does reduce the difficulty. I've seen complaints about the motion controls being finicky and require constant recalibration, but I never had that problem during my playthroughs.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Definitely Super Metroid. In fact it remains one of my all-time favorite games. Even with this game being over 20 years old I think it's still as good as it ever was, a genuine timeless classic. The gameplay, the graphics, the atmosphere, the music, the exploration, the level-design; it is so masterfully crafted into a cohesive whole that it really draws you into its world.

The Metroid Prime games were really good too. They did a great job translating much of what made Super Metroid so good into a 3D space. Though for some reason it never really had that irresistible charm Super Metroid had for me.

The old metroid games on the NES(similarly like the old Zelda games) felt very much like prototypes for the Super Nintendo version. They paved the way but in the process made themselves redundant other than perhaps for a nostalgia kick or as a curiosity piece for hardcore enthusiasts.

Haven't played any of the others. Though would still really like to play Fusion.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
For the best Metroid Prime, I'm split between the 2 and 3 (each has their own strengths and failures). In the main series, I go for Super Metroid. Metroid Fusion is alright, but it was a little too linear until near the end.

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
Prime, all the way Prime. It's not only my favourite Metroid, it's my favourite game of all time.

The Prime series as a whole are fantastic, and while I was initially not into the idea of the Wii controls, when I gave it a shot it worked out fine. Need me a Prime 4 from Retro Studios.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
CaitSeith said:
For the best Metroid Prime, I'm split between the 2 and 3 (each has their own strengths and failures). In the main series, I go for Super Metroid. Metroid Fusion is alright, but it was a little too linear until near the end.
In my case Prime 2 is the stronger of the Prime Sequals.

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
I haven't played Prime 2, 3, FF, finished Prime 1, Hunters or the original. So I will say Fusion. The story is there and althought the game initially tricks you that it'll be a linear game, if you explore enough you'll find that's not the case. The plot, the callbacks to the previous ones, the graphics for an GBA title, they're all incredible.

I did play Super, but only after the GBA ones, so the controls were weird for me and I played Zero Mission before that and there is a lot that Zero Mission does not tell you at all. Other M, the story is there, but it's not like I'm playing for the story, but I will say this, nobody would complain about the story if in the moment Samus must get a power-up and Adam denies her, had she stood up and fought back his order, I would have forgave everything. I know through Fusion Samus respects Adam, but that point was the biggest no for me.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I've only ever played the side-scrolling Metroids, and out of them I like Fusion the best. There's nothing really wrong with the other ones. I'm just saying that I liked Fusion the most out of them all.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Fusion, I guess. It had a neat horror vibe to it, with flavour-text to go along with it. I haven't finished many Metroid games. They should go back to that style.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Tie between Super and Prime, the definitive 2D and 3D incarnations respectively. While I definitely loved Fusion and the rest of the Prime Trilogy, they all had small flaws that held them back from perfection.

A prettier, less-aggressively linear remake of Fusion would be welcome.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
I loved the minimalist storytelling and brooding alien atmosphere of Metroid Prime, so of course that will be my pick. Incredibly good game that still holds up very well today as there's few other games that have ever tried anything quite like it.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
You're including a spot for a fangame? I mean, okay, but in a poll with limited options, that does come off as being disingenuous.

But okay, ranking the ones I've played:

4) Hunters
3) Super Metroid
2) Zero Mission
1) Fusion

Edit: Okay, technically I've played Metroid Prime, but never finished it, and it didn't take me long to call it quits. I guess technically I might put it between Hunters and Super Metroid, because at the least, Prime didn't cause me physical pain to play due to its control scheme. :(

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I only played Metroid II: Return of Samus on the Game Boy. S'alright, nothing to write home about.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Super Metroid is my favourite game, and has been for awhile, nearly hitting all the right notes for me.

The design, background art, music, sounds, movement, upgrades, and some boss fights and puzzles are really special to me. No un-skippable story getting in the way. No amateur dialogue killing the mood. No repetitive annoying mini bosses. And it has enough speed upgrades to make every trip feel short enough.

The ending definitely could've been better though. Funnily enough, my other top Metroid games fuck that up too ^^

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Either Prime or Super Metroid. Unlike a lot of people apparently I did not like Fusion. I don't like Samus' suit, the premise of how she got the new suit is stupid, there's too much talking, it's the game that introduces us to Adam, it's too linear for a Metroid game, and why or why is the final boss a Metroid when the antagonists have been the X the entire game? Also why does Samus never react to the Federation having Ridley's corpse in their freezer?