Poll: Favorite "Survival Horror" Resident Evil?

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Hawki said:
I do agree that RE4 was the beginning of a shift in the series, but in the context of what came later, it does feel transitional.
Yeah, despite having a more action-oriented focus RE4 still 'feels' like a genuine Resident Evil game. It still has that same atmosphere and vibe just pushed into a different direction. Everything after RE4 just went completely off the rails cashing in on whatever was popular at the moment(co-op, Call of Duty). Absolutely no vision or creativity left. Here's hoping RE7 can bring some of that old magic back. :p

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
stroopwafel said:
Hawki said:
I do agree that RE4 was the beginning of a shift in the series, but in the context of what came later, it does feel transitional.
Yeah, despite having a more action-oriented focus RE4 still 'feels' like a genuine Resident Evil game. It still has that same atmosphere and vibe just pushed into a different direction. Everything after RE4 just went completely off the rails cashing in on whatever was popular at the moment(co-op, Call of Duty). Absolutely no vision or creativity left. Here's hoping RE7 can bring some of that old magic back. :p
Well, bear in mind I do actually like RE5, even if it lost a bit of the RE 'feel.' But being Debbie Downer, RE7 feels like a shift in the opposite direction, what with the shift to the first person, the supposed presence of ghosts, and the lack of barely any links to the series.

In fairness, this isn't the first time we've had a first person RE, but I'm very reserved about RE7. Granted, the last RE game I played was RE5, so this is basically me griping because of previous, rather than current investment.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Well, to my surprise I actually enjoyed the RE7 demo, so this has given me a bit of hope. The developers stated that the demo is just an appetizer for the general atmosphere they are going for and not indicative of an Outlast type game. However that atmosphere was something I really liked so if they mix that with more enjoyable gameplay(perhaps something similar to the Condemned games) I think I'll probably enjoy RE7. Another positive thing is that it was apparently the high sales of the RE Remake re-release that motivated Capcom to move the series away from contemporary fads unappropriate for the genre and realize there is still a high demand for 'traditional' survival-horror games. So yeah all things considered, RE7 is the first Resident Evil game in like over a decade that I have the slightest hope for that it will be good. If they fuck this up then yeah, RE will go the way of Metal Gear: slot machines and videogame trash [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-08-17-the-first-post-kojima-metal-gear-is-a-co-op-survival-game-set-in-an-alternate-reality].

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Ezekiel said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Ezekiel said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Ezekiel said:
ZombieProof said:
Ezekiel said:
Samtemdo8 said:
And I am specifically referring to the the games before Resident Evil 4, the ones that had fixed camara angles, tank controls, and a more "horror" based games.
RE4 has the same tank controls, only expanded, and it is a survival horror game. What do you think makes a horror game, being genuinely scary? Well, I played the RE remake and wasn't scared at all. I'm answering RE4 because the poll is daft. I don't like the games before it or the ones after.
Dammit 'Zeke, ReMake didn't scare you "at all"? You sure you played that mess at night, with the lights out, and all that other hooey?
I made the necessary preparations, including switching to 4:3 to get the full backgrounds and using the classic controls. I only fought the generic zombies and dogs, though. Got sick of wandering around the mansion trying to find where to go. What I played wasn't scary at all. And I agree with Azure, RE4 had genuine scares.
Were you playing as Jill Valintine in your first attempt?
Yes, I was. Why do you ask?
Explains EVERYTHING.

Jill Valintine's version of the game sucks and its not because Jill is a woman no that has nothing to do with it, Jill Valintine's version of the game is pretty much the easy mode of the entire game and overall ruins the "horror" experiance of the game compared to Chris' campaign and allow me to list:

1. Jill has 8 inventory slots, Chris has 6.

2. Jill comes with the Lockpick, Chris has the lighter and has to find old keys around the manor.

3. Jill can get the shotgun very early on, Chris needs a broken one to switch between the shotguns

4. Jill gets a fuckin Grenade Launcher especially when combined with the flame rounds can easily set dead zombie cosrpses ablaze preventing them from turining into Crimson Heads. Chris has to use the oil canister (fortunantly he has the lighter by default freeing up inventory space)

5. Jill starts with her gun, Chris doesnt' (although Chris gets a gun very soon into the game)

6. Jill can bypass an entire boss in the game.

7. Jill gets baby-sited CONSTANTLY by Barry Burton I mean yes for Chris Wesker gives him some extra gear but Barry is completely different, he gives her the Lockpick, he gives acid grenade rounds, the strongest of the grenade rounds, as mentioned before he is the reason you get the shotgun early. Compared to Chirs where is almost alone for the most part of the playthrough.

8. And This mabye a subjective opinion but even in the remake the voice acting in Jill's Campaign is still bad, Chris's campaign is not Oscar calibur acting but its immensly more passable like there is not too much silly lines.

Pretty much imo playing Jill is the wrong way to play this game, if you want a true Survival Horror experiance not only play as Chris Redfield, but play it in Real Survivor mode where the Item Boxes no longer "connect" to other boxes, once you put something in one of the boxes it stays in that same box. And Real Survivor sets the difficulty to Hard mode by default.

I am sorry for saying this but I hate it when people always play as Jill in this game especially if its their first time.
This game's lame. Playing as Chris isn't gonna fix it. I don't like repeatedly searching every room of this huge mansion for the one metaphorical lock to a key (item). It's not scary or fun. I shouldn't have installed it again. It felt good playing RE4 for a few minutes afterwards. I regret wasting my money on this. RE4 is the only good one.
The First Mansion Key is in the Graveyard outside on the First Floor.

The Second Mansion Key is on the Second Floor in a Deathtrap room, which requires you to switch the key with a fake one, where do you get the fake one? First you need a Dog Whistle which is on the seconnd floor. Than you to the Western Balconies on the Second Floor and blow the Dog Whistle and dogs will attack, once you kill them one of the has a coller that within it is a "coin" that turns into a fake key.

The Third Key is inside the Grandfather Clock in the Dinning Hall on the first floor.

Than you have to get the Death Masks, one in a plant room, another in a box in a room with Knight's Armor, another in a painting gallary hallway, and one in an attic with a GIANT FREAKIN SNAKE.

Was that so hard to learn? and the Game gives a not only a very well done map:

But portions of the map will be highlighted in red indicating there are things in the room you have not picked up. LIKE KEYS!!!

And lets not forget note files you find that gives you hints as to how to solve puzzles.

Zombie Proof

Nov 28, 2015
Samtemdo8 said:
Ezekiel said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Ezekiel said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Ezekiel said:
ZombieProof said:
Ezekiel said:
Samtemdo8 said:
And I am specifically referring to the the games before Resident Evil 4, the ones that had fixed camara angles, tank controls, and a more "horror" based games.
RE4 has the same tank controls, only expanded, and it is a survival horror game. What do you think makes a horror game, being genuinely scary? Well, I played the RE remake and wasn't scared at all. I'm answering RE4 because the poll is daft. I don't like the games before it or the ones after.
Dammit 'Zeke, ReMake didn't scare you "at all"? You sure you played that mess at night, with the lights out, and all that other hooey?
I made the necessary preparations, including switching to 4:3 to get the full backgrounds and using the classic controls. I only fought the generic zombies and dogs, though. Got sick of wandering around the mansion trying to find where to go. What I played wasn't scary at all. And I agree with Azure, RE4 had genuine scares.
Were you playing as Jill Valintine in your first attempt?
Yes, I was. Why do you ask?
Explains EVERYTHING.

Jill Valintine's version of the game sucks and its not because Jill is a woman no that has nothing to do with it, Jill Valintine's version of the game is pretty much the easy mode of the entire game and overall ruins the "horror" experiance of the game compared to Chris' campaign and allow me to list:

1. Jill has 8 inventory slots, Chris has 6.

2. Jill comes with the Lockpick, Chris has the lighter and has to find old keys around the manor.

3. Jill can get the shotgun very early on, Chris needs a broken one to switch between the shotguns

4. Jill gets a fuckin Grenade Launcher especially when combined with the flame rounds can easily set dead zombie cosrpses ablaze preventing them from turining into Crimson Heads. Chris has to use the oil canister (fortunantly he has the lighter by default freeing up inventory space)

5. Jill starts with her gun, Chris doesnt' (although Chris gets a gun very soon into the game)

6. Jill can bypass an entire boss in the game.

7. Jill gets baby-sited CONSTANTLY by Barry Burton I mean yes for Chris Wesker gives him some extra gear but Barry is completely different, he gives her the Lockpick, he gives acid grenade rounds, the strongest of the grenade rounds, as mentioned before he is the reason you get the shotgun early. Compared to Chirs where is almost alone for the most part of the playthrough.

8. And This mabye a subjective opinion but even in the remake the voice acting in Jill's Campaign is still bad, Chris's campaign is not Oscar calibur acting but its immensly more passable like there is not too much silly lines.

Pretty much imo playing Jill is the wrong way to play this game, if you want a true Survival Horror experiance not only play as Chris Redfield, but play it in Real Survivor mode where the Item Boxes no longer "connect" to other boxes, once you put something in one of the boxes it stays in that same box. And Real Survivor sets the difficulty to Hard mode by default.

I am sorry for saying this but I hate it when people always play as Jill in this game especially if its their first time.
This game's lame. Playing as Chris isn't gonna fix it. I don't like repeatedly searching every room of this huge mansion for the one metaphorical lock to a key (item). It's not scary or fun. I shouldn't have installed it again. It felt good playing RE4 for a few minutes afterwards. I regret wasting my money on this. RE4 is the only good one.
The First Mansion Key is in the Graveyard outside on the First Floor.

The Second Mansion Key is on the Second Floor in a Deathtrap room, which requires you to switch the key with a fake one, where do you get the fake one? First you need a Dog Whistle which is on the seconnd floor. Than you to the Western Balconies on the Second Floor and blow the Dog Whistle and dogs will attack, once you kill them one of the has a coller that within it is a "coin" that turns into a fake key.

The Third Key is inside the Grandfather Clock in the Dinning Hall on the first floor.

Than you have to get the Death Masks, one in a plant room, another in a box in a room with Knight's Armor, another in a painting gallary hallway, and one in an attic with a GIANT FREAKIN SNAKE.

Was that so hard to learn? and the Game gives a not only a very well done map:

But portions of the map will be highlighted in red indicating there are things in the room you have not picked up. LIKE KEYS!!!

And lets not forget note files you find that gives you hints as to how to solve puzzles.
Ezekiel's qualms with the game aren't that he doesn't get it, it's just that the game play design isn't his cup of tea and I totally get that. ReMake is so deliberately designed that it could be very polarizing. If you're into that kind of gameplay, you're probably gonna be all hot'n'a'biscuit for it (like me!) but if you're not, nothing will bring you around. I totally get it. I absolutely abhore Telltale game's game play design but I can totally understand how folks can dig it. It's not that I don't get it, I just hate the restrictive nature of the gameplay an think (strangely enough) it obstructs the enjoyment of otherwise well-told stories and characters.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Ezekiel said:
Samtemdo8 said:
How the hell was I supposed to figure that out? The game punishes you for carrying shit you don't need. I never would have found that there's a memo with the dog whistle because I never would have picked up the dog whistle. The memo only shows itself after you agree to pick up the whistle. It's obtuse.

It's also so fittingly obtuse that Chris would give you acid shells for a grenade launcher you don't have. She should slap him.
Barry Burton, not Chris.

And the explination for that is because lets just say this is remake that did not thought all the way through because in the Original version of Resident Evil 1 you can get the Grenade Launcher very early in the game and then Barry will give you the Rounds.

But in the remake you can't get it early because the door leading to it now requires a certain mansion key, even though in the original it was open by default.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
I will always be partial to RE2. It was the only one I bothered taking the time to master a play through for. Everything in it just seemed to click, and feel like it struck the best balance of the classics. The first three RE's kinda mirror my feelings of the first three Uncharted games actually.