Poll: Favorite Total War

Frission

Until I get thrown out.
May 16, 2011
I thought I might as well talk about something fun, and whatever better than by asking which is your favorite game in the "Total War" series?

So far I've only tried out Shogun 2 and I'm planning on getting Rome II as well, but I would like to know if I should try to get another title.

So which Total War game would you recommend? If you prefer another title in the same genre, just post it below. I'm looking for other historical strategy games.

EDIT :Something glitched with the poll.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Rome TW was my favorite I must have clocked 200 hours in that game easy. With all the mods like EB increase playability hugely. In all those 200 hours i never completely conquered the world either since i liked rerolling once it got too easy.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Medieval 2 was my favorite. It had the updated map mechanics of Rome, but it just seemed...bigger and more epic somehow. You'd think because of that Empire would be even better, but the line infantry combat just kind of lost me.

LookingGlass

Jul 6, 2011
I've only played Rome, Medieval 2, and Shogun 2 (the other settings didn't interest me)... and I'd rate them in that order too. Rome and Medieval 2 were amazing, but Shogun 2 I just found to be "good". And this is despite the fact that I played all three of them for the first time within 18 months of each other.

ediblemitten

Mar 20, 2011
Been playing since Med I (that game has not aged well, although the soundtrack is my favorite of any TW title, and it had a great atmosphere). I would recommend Med II and Rome, though. Empire and Napoleon have seriously grown on me thanks to the mods for them. Not fantastic titles if you're playing them straight vanilla.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Medieval 2 is probably my favourite, not just because of the setting but also for it's sheer scale and also for the huge volume of fantastic mods available for it. Medieval 2 with the Stainless Steel mod is just a great strategy experience, so much diversity of units and locations to explore, enemies to fight. Great time!

I know it's not the most popular choice but I'm also quite fond of Empire: Total War as well. I find that entire period of history fascinating and there's just nothing else quite like watching those giant formations of line infantry on the move or the howling of canons as they blast away in the distance.

gavinmcinns

Aug 23, 2013
LetalisK said:
Medieval 2 was my favorite. It had the updated map mechanics of Rome, but it just seemed...bigger and more epic somehow. You'd think because of that Empire would be even better, but the line infantry combat just kind of lost me.
That was the first one I played, I like it and Rome equally the best.

Napoleon gets a bad rap.

that's all

gavinmcinns

Aug 23, 2013
Darks63 said:
Rome TW was my favorite I must have clocked 200 hours in that game easy. With all the mods like EB increase playability hugely. In all those 200 hours i never completely conquered the world either since i liked rerolling once it got too easy.
I think if you do ever actually conquer everything (more than once anyway), there's something kind of wrong with you. Imagine people who conquer everything every game.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
The original Rome: Total War. It has the best mechanics I think, and runs well. I tried playing Medieval II, but the battle mechanics were... fucking disgusting, to say the least. Rome is nice and fluid, and very responsive (with the exception of large city sieges). Plus, it's the historical period I enjoy the most, so that certainly helps. All the great mods for it are awesome too, such as Europa Barbarorum, Rise of Persia, Hegemonia: City States, Viking Invasion (a remake of Medieval I's expansion) and others. Fucking love that game. Won't be getting the new one though. Looks pretty and all, but the mechanics, once again, look kinda lame.

BeeGeenie

May 30, 2012
We'll see once Rome 2 comes out, but for now, I'd say Medieval 2 is best TW.

Shogun 2 was awesomesauce, but Med 2.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Medieval 2 Kingdoms is probably my absolute favorite of the series. It keeps things from being overwhelming by limiting the size of the campaign maps, while still allowing for huge battles, and the most detailed cities and castles in the whole series.

From a pure gameplay standpoint, Shogun 2 is the best, but it is rather boring with units, since all the Japanese clans fight pretty much the same save for special faction units.

Adventurer2626

Jan 21, 2010
Medieval II. Rome TW comes in a close second. I like vanilla Rome better than vanilla Medieval but the mods available are pretty baller for Medieval II.

Mordekaien

Sep 3, 2010
Medieval II for me too. I liked Rome, but Medieval wins since it's my favorite historical period and I like the units variety. And the fact that you can play as Scotland. Because they are awesome.

Vandenberg1

May 26, 2011
Frission said:
I thought I might as well talk about something fun, and whatever better than by asking which is your favorite game in the "Total War" series?

So far I've only tried out Shogun 2 and I'm planning on getting Rome II as well, but I would like to know if I should try to get another title.

So which Total War game would you recommend? If you prefer another title in the same genre, just post it below. I'm looking for other historical strategy games.

EDIT :Something glitched with the poll.
The time period in Rome one is just so unique. The clash of cultures and various units, religions,building designs. Medieval 2 was amazing but in Europe you had a lot of repeat units/ design while Muslim ones were all archers mostly. Byzantium flame throwers and Pagan Units in Lithuania were my favorite though.