Poll: Female gamers and femininity

Amy Latta

Apr 28, 2010
I'm just curious how many female gamers out there consider yourselves to be feminine. How do you define femininity anyway? Me, I've never been much for it. I have my moments: I wear certain types of jewelry and I've been known to wear a skirt once or twice. But I don't wear makeup and I much prefer jeans. I've always associated being feminine with being giggly and obsessed with fashion and gossip. So how about you?

Girl With One Eye

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
Jun 2, 2010
In terms of how I dress I'd describe it as feminine, but thats only really when I go out, I much prefer to wear a loose tracksuit or something similar. I wear makeup because I'm self-conscious but I dont think that determines if you're feminine or not. I have been told that I'm a tomboy and I'd prefer to sit at home playing games rather than going shopping. I associate being 'girly' with giggling and bitchyness.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Most female gamers I know are feminine, only really know one tomboyish girl who plays games compared to about 3 or 4 other girly girl ones.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I like wearing nail-polish and reading Meg Cabot. But I guess me being a guy means I'm not really the target group, haha.

RaphaelsRedemption

Eats With Her Mouth Full
May 3, 2010
Does it matter? I game. I'm a girl. I am tired of hearing from women obssessed over whether they are fitting in with some pre-determined measure of "femininity". Why try to define it? Why not ask "are you happy with the person you are"?

I am happy with myself most of the time. I rarely think about such measures, as I was not happy when I did. Now I do what pleases me. One of these pleasures is gaming, hence why I am here on this forum. My boyfriend seems to be happy whether I wear trackpants or dresses, and I am equally comfortable wearing both, so why should I agonise over whether it's "feminine" to do so or not?

On a serious note, if you have no definition of femininity, why are you asking female gamers whether or not they consider themselves to be feminine. I can't discuss a topic that is not well-defined. You have two questions. One is: What is femininity? The other is: Do you consider yourself to fit into that defined category of "femininity".

Personally, I consider both to be irrelevant if you are happy in and of yourself, but no matter...

MiserableOldGit

Apr 1, 2009
Nah, what you just described is girlishness. Femininity is, well, er, its um, I can't really come up with a robust objective description, but its that thing women do that slashes my IQ in half and makes me do things like a mindless puppet. Not to sound bitter, its really quite brilliant-wish I could do it.

Ooh-one example of femininity - that smile women do where you can't quite tell if they think you're great or are merely taking the piss out of you-that's a good 'un.

Onsheka

Jul 14, 2010
I believe true femininity is feeling like a woman, you know that weird thing that happens. You feel really sexy and proud, you feel a fellowship with other women, men become distinctly different. Then it passes and guys are your mates again, other women can be mates. It's when you suddenly become aware that you aren't a girl anymore, feel powerful in your womanly stride, and you do stride, with a knowing smile. That's a rare felling for me, mostly I'm just mincing from one group of mates to the next.

Anah'ya

a Taffer
Jun 19, 2010
Do blokes that play games dress bloke-ish? Do the men of gaming all carry themselves manly? Does it matter when you sit in front of a computer? Is it considered feminine to play naked? There are many questions I have in return.

One of them begin: Is this an OMG IM A GIRL! OMG IM A GIRL! topic?
... Yeah. I don't like posts about female gamers. *hiss*

However, I had to come in here to reply to this...

MiserableOldGit said:
Ooh-one example of femininity - that smile women do where you can't quite tell if they think you're great or are merely taking the piss out of you-that's a good 'un.
*smiles*

MiserableOldGit

Apr 1, 2009
Anah said:
Do blokes that play games dress bloke-ish? Do the men of gaming all carry themselves manly? Does it matter when you sit in front of a computer? Is it considered feminine to play naked? There are many questions I have in return.

One of them begin: Is this an OMG IM A GIRL! OMG IM A GIRL! topic?
... Yeah. I don't like posts about female gamers. *hiss*

However, I had to come in here to reply to this...

MiserableOldGit said:
*smiles*
Just for that, I'm actualy going to be nice to the next hapless fool they put through to my desk... :)

PurpleSky

Apr 20, 2010
(Male)Actually that's how the gamer girls I know look like, but they are in my opinion very feminine

Eliam_Dar

Nov 25, 2009
I didn't vote because...well I am not a girl. However one of my friends is a Female Gamer and she is also femenine, it really doesn't have anything to do with it

Valksy

Nov 5, 2009
RaphaelsRedemption said:
Does it matter? I game. I'm a girl. I am tired of hearing from women obssessed over whether they are fitting in with some pre-determined measure of "femininity". Why try to define it? Why not ask "are you happy with the person you are"?

/snip
Thank you and well said.

That I am as butch as hell has nothing to do with my being a gamer. I am also profoundly uninterested in what random strangers think of me or whether or not I fit in to the scale of "femininity". I am just me and gave up long ago trying to be what others thought I should be.

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
I would consider myself feminine in that I self-identify as female. It's a subjective thing for me, not one defined by how my peers observe me. Beyond that, I would say that, for me, feminine is strength. Poise. Sharp intellect. I don't associate it with appearance but rather with the way one holds oneself. It doesn't even need to relate to being sexually attractive. For lack of a better word, it's the sheer weight of her own presence a woman feels when she can walk through a room with absolute confidence whether she's in work boots and muddy jeans or dressed to the nines.

I include in that confidence in ones sexuality, actually. This comes in all kinds of forms and different flavours including being confident and assertive amongst more submissive people. Self-knowledge here is key.

Of course many of these traits also relate to the 'masculine' as well. Strength and intelligence are not traditionally feminine traits, those being meekness, chastity and obedience. It is certinally not a parade of 'girly' traits. I think that part of the feminist struggle is actually re-defining things like "masculine" and "feminine", and indeed, to collate a range of other definitions which have no direct association with the dichotomous gender norm. "Charisma" isn't quite broad enough for people who choose not to be male or female.

Edit: Also, in response to an above post OMG! I'M A GIRL! LOOK AT MEEE!

Emperor Platypus

Feb 17, 2010
Labyrinth said:
Edit: Also, in response to an above post OMG! I'M A GIRL! LOOK AT MEEE!
I'm looking..... nothing's happening..... is something supposed to happen? Am I supposed to do something to make it happen?

I'm confused.....

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
So....were only girls supposed to vote in this poll? Because I think I jumped the gun....and voted.

KindOfnElf

Mar 15, 2010
Sure I feel feminine: I bleed once a month, and sometimes twice when I am stressed!
Gaming is not what defines you as a girl or not, is what (as someone said above) you make of yourself. Sure: I use make up too, get my hair done, wear very high heels and dresses and that makes my self-confidence as a woman huge. But I also throw the controller, kick my PC, drink beer and burp with my male friends when we have fun! Oh, and swear a lot (especially when I drive)! When I was younger I had those dilemmas: what is or what is not feminine to do/wear/act. And realized there is no such thing but your inner feeling and self definition. I real boost to the feeling of being feminine and definition of it came with being with a defined man: by his side, with his self confidence and the things he does - you won't be able to be anything else except a real woman.

MelziGurl

Jan 16, 2009
I wear more skirts and dresses than I ever use to, occasionally I'll wear make up and vary rarely do I wear a set of heels. I've always been a tomboy, that won't change but I still feel like a woman so I believe that's all that matters.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Queen Michael said:
I like wearing nail-polish and reading Meg Cabot. But I guess me being a guy means I'm not really the target group, haha.
I love Meg Cabot! Not the books, I'm indifferent to them, but if you say her name fast it comes out as Megabot and she sounds like a Transformer!

stygN

Yay! Custom title!
Jul 9, 2010
There are several issues with this discussion. Basically all the words in the title needs some explaining..

"Female gamers and femininity"

1st, what's a gamer? Are you a gamer if you sometimes play sims with your daughter? Or are you a gamer if you loose your life, all your friends and family, your job and your health because of World of Warcraft? Or do you have to play many, many, many game like I do, and do they have to be online?

2nd, what's femininity? Wearing make-up? Eating nothing but particles that float through the air? ***** about anything and everything?

3rd, what the hell is a female? I've heard about these things but I didn't think they were scientifically proven.

Anonymoustache

Jul 14, 2010
I'd say pretty feminine, I don't wear dresses but I make an effort to look nice when it's important.
That said I'm quite happy to sit at home in boxers and a t-shirt and play video games.
So maybe I separate the two, I'm feminine when I'm social, and I'm not when I'm gaming.