Poll: Final Fantasy VIII: Party Composition

Riddle78

Jan 19, 2010
I finally got back into Final Fantasy VIII since forever ago,when I was in grade four,and I'm enjoying the romp back through my first RPG,now that I know what I'm doing. So,I've built a party: Squall as a physical bruiser,Zell as a backup bruiser with a side order of magic,and I want my third character to be a dedicated mage. To the people who've played the game,three characters fall quite neatly into this category,thanks to their Limit Breaks.

-Selphie,whose Limit Break is Slots. Essentially,with this ability,she can cast any one spell in the game,plus a few exclusive to the Slots list,two of which end the battle on the spot,one of them being able to effect even BOSSES,aptly called "The End". And can cast many of the spells on the list multiple times. It has AMAZING potential,but it's limited by one obvious flaw: The Random Number God. Sorta sucks when her slots keep coming up Demi when you're fighting Diablos. This means I can spend minutes hitting the do-over command,and get nothing but Demi or Thunder,when I need a Thundaga or Full-Cure.

-Rinoa,whose second Limit Break,available starting in the second half of the game,Angel Wing,essentially turns her into a magical monster,belting out spells at random at five times strength. There are two drawbacks here,though,but thankfully one can be controlled. The first issue is when it becomes available: The second half of the game. That's quite a while to wait,isn't it? And the second drawback is the fact that Rinoa falls out of player control in this state: She enters a Berserk state,but instead casts only magic at five times power,without spending a charge of the spell. However,this can be controlled,as you can just keep her stocked with,say,Meteor,while Ultima is junctioned to Magic. Cast one,and enemies eat space rock,cast the other,and they simply cease.

-Quistis,whose Limit Break is Blue Magic. Have her use certain items,and she learns new spells to belt out when she pops the Limit Break. The spells can literally do ANYTHING the combat engine will allow,from instant death spells,to every buff in the game on the whole damn party. And,best of all,it's completely under the player's control. The downside? Well,Quistis has some rather...Underwhelming base stats,and poor growth,which diminishes the overall effectiveness of Junctioning,which will then determine the strength of the Blue Magic spells,which are in and of themselves a pain to get at times. I can get Degenerator right now,if I wanted to Refine away my Diablos card,but things like Bad Breath or Mighty Guard? That means dancing with two of the most threatening creatures in the game,the Malboro and Behemoth,respectively. And the Malboro ALWAYS has initiative.

So,which do you think I should rock in my party to the endgame?

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
I say selphie . Her slots are way too usefull . Especially if you purposely keep her health low to use it every turn.

I always use the same team . Squall , selphie , irving . The other characters don't really do anything for me, and i hate rinoas character with a fiery passion, so i never put her on my team.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
I always keep my characters evenly leveled and don't have a preference.

Why do we all have Beiber Avatars?

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Quistis, because she's not annoying like the other two, character-wise. I never bothered much with a mage beyond a healer tho, since Squall's limit break can handily take on anything, especially once you have his best weapon and max strenght.

WeepingAngels said:
Why do we all have Beiber Avatars?
You know that forum award with the red button on it? The one that tells you not to press it when you hover over it? You pressed it.

It goes away after some time.

Thanatos5150

Apr 20, 2009
You forgot to mention that Quistis gets Black Hole -- I think it's called Black Hole, anyway.
It's a one-shot kill any enemy-even-some-bosses spell that you can get with a little luck right after you're done controlling Laguna for the first time.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
Get Diablos
Learn enc-none
Get the Ragnarok
Get everyone elem-def-j x 2
Get everyone hp-j
get everyone spd-j
get the Lionheart and any other ults you feel like
Fly to the isles of heaven and hell and walk around mashing 'x', draw all the spells. Junction Curaga to health, Ultima and Meteor to elem-def and Haste to speed.
Learn Refine
Refine Bahamut and Laguna cards into 100 auras and 10 heroes respectively
Never have to give a fuck who's doing what ever again.

By doing this I can consistently beat Ultimecea without losing a party member at level 40 or so. Forget GFs, specific limit breaks that aren't renzokuken and even casting spells, spec whoever's limit break sucks as a healer using the heal abilities, give everyone item, throw auras around and let rip. Ultimecea goes down in about ten minutes (until I specifically listened to it I never knew how most of the end boss music sounded) and anything weaker is lucky to get an attack off. The only spell left to care about is Meltdown.

Oh and to answer your question go for Quistis, she has Black Hole and the other attacks generally pale into insignificance next to the amount of firepower you can put out with the other limit breaks.

EDIT: For additional lulz do all that, get Odin and turn enc-none off. Splat dragons and gain three levels a dragon until your weapons consistently quad nine an opponent.

Oh and junction Float or something to Evasion, also consider junction Stop to st-atk

BabuNu

Nov 19, 2009
As long as you have Squall and Zell it doesn't matter. Zell can solo omega weapon if you set him up correctly and spam Punch Rush and Booya. Squall's not as powerful but it's a lot less tedious to use his limit break than Zell's. Go with whichever set of pixels you think's the hottest.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Quistis, because... I just liked looking at her more. She had the hot librarian thing going.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
ForumSafari said:
Get Diablos
Learn enc-none

get the Lionheart
Streamlined that for ya, and add:
-Refine Curagas for junctioning to HP
-Refine 100 Tornado for Junction-attack

That's all the prep-work you have to do to trivialize the entire game. Rensetzuken+Lionheart is more than sufficient for all of the scripted encounters where Squall is in your party, which is 95% of the game so...yeah. A total joke.

Maybe throw in some Aura and Revive as insurance for the final battles, but it's really a joke of a game with a joke of a story.

Beat once for curiosity, again if you're nostalgic, and never mention it again.

vIRL Nightmare

Jul 30, 2013
As a rule I believe that a good final fantasy party is quite similar to a good D&D party. Note this instructional video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waa2ucfgVgQ

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
Selphie all the way! She's my favorite FF8 character.

On a side note, I'd bring Quistis along as a mixed character instead of Zell. I don't hate Zell or anything, but I don't like his limit break style. It's like Tifa's, except many times more annoying.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Riddle78 said:
I always rock a Squall, Rinoa, Irvine party myself but asking me to choose a char for a mage is difficult as I never use magic except for Aura and Meltdown.

Also little tip, get Bahamut's card and then use the Card abillity on it to get 100 megalixers. Makes the end boss a dream.

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
The thing is, any and all party compositions can work in this game. I personally always said "screw magic" and made all my characters, even the girls who are supposed to be squishy wizards, into Str based powerhouses. You will need magic for junctioning anyway, so throwing them at enemies would be silly.

That said, if we only focus on Limit Breaks, I would say the following:

Squall: Renzokuken is broken as fuck. Get an Aura on a Squall with low health and 255 Str and over 200 Spd and he can kill Omega Weapon all alone. Trust me, I did it. Also, his limit breaks look cool and he even gets special ones for certain bosses.

Irvine: Not much to write home about. He has the different ammo types, but all they do is deal more damage/hit more enemies. He is kinda boring but practical that way.

Zell: His combos not only look great but he can deal tremendous amounts of damage if you are doing them right. I usually kept him with me for this reason.

Rinoa: Her dog-based attacks range from stupid to awesome (the one that makes your party temporarily invulnerable is pretty good). Her Angel Wings can be good if you build it right: First of all, she needs to have high Mag for starters since it's needed for the damage calculations. Then you have to exploit the Angel Wing's mechanics: it will only cast offensive spells that are -in her inventory-, meaning that if you if you give her a full stack of Meteor and nothing else, she will throw that at the enemies at every turn for ridiculous amounts of damage. Pretty neat, but it means she will be useless for anything else.

Selphie: Her slots have a trick: the lower is her health, the higher the chance something good will pop up, like a triple Ultima, Wall or The End. Throw an Aura on her, and the chances are even better. Still, it is a slot machine, so no matter what you do it still comes down to chance.

Quistis: Degenerator is bad ass and it can be acquired pretty early on, and it is a life-saver against the more asshole-ish enemies like Marlboros and Ruby Dragons. The rest of her skills are pretty situational, but at least you can control them...

But honestly, you really don't need to think too much about this. Just take whoever you like with you and it will work out. The game is pretty easy by default and it becomes laughably easy if you junction your magics properly. Just play it how you want. :)

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
Atmos Duality said:
Streamlined that for ya, and add:
-Refine Curagas for junctioning to HP
-Refine 100 Tornado for Junction-attack

That's all the prep-work you have to do to trivialize the entire game.
That'd work too. It's a pity because the magic-as-an-item system is a great idea but junctioning breaks the game. It looks to me like whoever designed it assumed you'd junction early and pick up dribs and drabs of magic to slowly boost stats, they never sat down and figured out what would happen if you suddenly got 100 of something.

Having said that I like ultima + flare (I meant flare not meteor) on elem-def because elemental spells won't hurt you and fire, ice and lightning actively heal you. It's utterly unnecessary but it's still fun.

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
I used Quistis myself, although to be honest for most of the game I didn't take a mage into battle at all, but the disintegrate blue magic is awesome for grinding on the island closest to hell

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
ForumSafari said:
That'd work too. It's a pity because the magic-as-an-item system is a great idea but junctioning breaks the game. It looks to me like whoever designed it assumed you'd junction early and pick up dribs and drabs of magic to slowly boost stats, they never sat down and figured out what would happen if you suddenly got 100 of something.

Having said that I like ultima + flare (I meant flare not meteor) on elem-def because elemental spells won't hurt you and fire, ice and lightning actively heal you. It's utterly unnecessary but it's still fun.
Well, if any FF game wanted to offer the player of being like a literal demigod for nearly the whole game, FF8 is that game because it's by far the easiest to trivialize.

Ironically, if you don't trivialize it by abusing perma-limits+ENC-NONE and play it "normally", it can get kinda tough in places because the enemies level up with you and many of the latter enemies outstrip your natural growth rates considerably.

Riddle78

Jan 19, 2010
To the people suggesting how to break the game: Don't. I'm not in it to break it. I just want to play the game however I please,which generally boils down to what most other players consider "silly".

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
Riddle78 said:
To the people suggesting how to break the game: Don't. I'm not in it to break it. I just want to play the game however I please,which generally boils down to what most other players consider "silly".
The thing is it's not breaking the game, it's the natural end result of playing the game the way it's supposed to be played. You don't have to min-max or have a very specific shopping list, the challenge curve on the game is fundamentally borked.

Thanatos5150

Apr 20, 2009
Personally, I always had 100 zombies junctioned to every weapon, and spammed Cure spells/Revive/Holy Damage.
It was glorious.