Poll: First Contact?

Aug 17, 2009
What non-Earth lifeforms do you think we're most likely to encounter, assuming we as a species don't totally abandon space travel?

My money is on Animalistic creatures, as there's only one civilized species on Earth, and other biospheres might be even more suited to specialization over intelligence/tools.

Also, I know there's some evidence of potential single-celled organisms existing on Mars at some point, but I'm wondering about planets beyond where we can reach now.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
I'd like to think that there's a group out there who are just as advanced if not more advanced than we are. Whether we find them or not? Well that's the big question. If we stay on our current path, then the most I think we'll find will be bacteria/plant stuff

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
I think if we ever do find aliens, whatever they are they will be something completely different to everything we can possibly imagine. Everything we know about life comes from our experience with the Earth. Organisms living on another planet will probably be totally different. Like maybe not even being carbon based life forms or even symmetrical. Maybe they don't have limbs, or even solid bodies. We have no idea. And I don't really believe this "Goldilocks planet" stuff either, since that's based off the Earth too. I think life could exist on plenty of planets as long as it has conditions that remain steady for a period of time long enough to allow life to evolve. But if we do find something I think it will be somewhere on the level of bacteria, or at least very simple animals/plants (assuming that they even fall in to those categories, which they probably won't). I don't know why I think that, but it just seems the most likely thing to me. I think it's next to impossible that we will find life which has intelligence comparable or even more advanced than ours. It takes time for that to happen and the longer time passes, the more likely something will happen that will end that process.

everythingbeeps

Sep 30, 2011
Depends. If we travel outwards, we'll almost certainly find planets with life, though not necessarily intelligent life. There may be wild animals, there will certainly be plant life. But even that will be rare. Most life we find will likely be single-cell.

If we're gonna be visited, it will be by an intelligent, advanced life, because that's the only kind of life that could get here. (With the obvious exception of some sort of bacteria riding an asteroid situation).

Zach of Fables

Oct 5, 2011
It's not the best Star Trek movie. Wrath of Khan was better. Also Picard was out of character.

OT: Statistically we'd probably find plants or bacteria.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Your definitions are a bit flawed from a pedantic point, as animals & bacteria have certain features that you'd be unlikely to find on another planet.

I think all the forms are out there, just that intelligent life is very far away. Bacteria-like life seems to thrive in very hard conditions, so I'd say it's more common - I'd actually be surprised if we didn't find something on Mars/Europa.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
The odds are that we'll find nothing beyond bacteria. They're the simplest forms of life that we know of (viruses don't really count). Simply due to the chaotic nature of evolution and the "relative" simplicity of bacteria, odds are that the vast majority of life we encounter will be bacteria or of a similar level. The more complex an organism, the rarer it'll be. We see this on Earth, where Bacteria, by mass and number, are the most abundant form of life on the planet.

Of course, life on other worlds might not develop like ours, but the majority of life will be simple organisms, because that's just how evolution works. Life is a series of molecular replicators, and the simplest replicators (that we know of) are molecules like RNA strands.

For billions of years, the only real life forms on Earth were bacteria. It took a long time before the other organisms evolved - and had conditions been different, they might not have evolved at all. Evolution isn't a chain of progression mandating the development of complex life - evolution is merely adaptation. If there isn't selective pressure for organisms to become more complex and compartmentalized, then life won't become more complex and cells won't become more compartmentalized.

So, the vast majority of life in the universe is probably no more developed than Archean/Prokaryotic Bacteria. Fewer planets would have slimes or eukaryotic cells. Fewer still would have anything even resembling plants. Fewer still animals, and very, very, VERY few would have intelligent species. Intelligence is not a given. Humans didn't HAVE to evolve - it was pure co-incidence and a role of the dice that we did. Random chance created us. A unique combination of selective pressure and mutations at the right time is what created the Human species. Had conditions been different, we wouldn't have arisen at all. The emergence of intelligent species is almost certainly due to nothing more than chance, and the odds are rare (There's been billions of years of life on this planet and only one high intelligent species has ever arisen on it. You do the math on how frequently intelligent organisms arise).

99.9999% of all the planets in the universe are dead balls of frozen or molten rock or frozen gas and liquid. 0.0001% of them might have conditions suitable for life. I'd wager less than half a percent of them will ever develop life (and that's really optimistic). Fewer still will ever develop any life forms more complicated than the equivalent of our plankton.

Of course, with the sheer size of the universe, even with such terrible odds, there are probably still thousands of intelligent species in our galaxy and neighbouring galaxies. Of course, with the sheer size of the universe, we'll almost certainly, CERTAINLY never find them. And how would they find us? The distances are so vast, the amount of dead planets so huge that finding another intelligent species in the universe is like trying to find a needle in a haystack - oh and the haystack is AS BIG AS THE SUN.

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
You phrased your post question differently to that of the poll.

What do I think it is most likely we'll find? Bacteria, by numerous orders of magnitude.

We might find anything though.

Aug 17, 2009
kurupt87 said:
You phrased your post question differently to that of the poll.

What do I think it is most likely we'll find? Bacteria, by numerous orders of magnitude.

We might find anything though.

Well, I phrased it differently just for space's sake.

Esotera said:
Your definitions are a bit flawed from a pedantic point, as animals & bacteria have certain features that you'd be unlikely to find on another planet.
That's why I put "Animalistic", as in a complex organism without higher intelligence.

And like I said, there has been some (inconclusive) evidence of bacteria-like organisms from Mars.

The point is seeing which archetype you think the E.T. being will more closely mirror

BulletMagTrig

Nov 14, 2011
I'd suspect we'll find all forms of extraterrestrial life in the galaxy. I doubt we'll have some sort of super omnipotent hive-minded shield spamming deathray bugs running around, but I could see a galaxy similar to Star Wars, Star Trek, or Mass Effect where different levels of development and technology come into play and where life would be capable of understanding and coordinating with other life.

Probably wouldn't have as many boobs and sexy green women, but a man can dream though... a man can dream.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
Our first contact will almost certainly be some kind of bacteria, maybe plants or animals if were lucky. Though we will eventually come into contact with something intelligent, assuming we don't blow ourselves up somehow.

bootz

Feb 28, 2011
We are going to be Zerg food. I'm already fattening myself up for them.