Poll: Freddy Krueger as the fourth dlc kombatant in MK9, yay or nay?

AgentBJ09

May 24, 2010
FalloutJack said:
Yeah, I dunno what the fuck Kratos is doing there. As for fear, you've gotta understand that I mean the actual fear and ability to play on fear has gone down to the toilet. People have gone from fighting because holy shit he launches a spear from his hand to being King Leonidas and fighting because the shit needs to be taken care of. It is not fear that drives them, but a waryness of things.

So really, I can't justify the Fred-man because Mortal Kombat characters wouldn't be his tea and biscuits. If he had a choice between them and a load of normal people, the normal people would be more appealing than booze and cigarettes. MK characters are his equivalent of eating his vegetables, and I mean the ones that don't have that much nutritional value.
Maybe not, but I still believe that playing off fear works for both the kind where you fear what you don't know is happening, like the films, and the kind where you know your life is at stake, which is what MK has more of. If you look at it that way, the Krueger idea does make some sense. Not complete sense, but enough to justify him being in the game.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
AgentBJ09 said:
FalloutJack said:
Yeah, I dunno what the fuck Kratos is doing there. As for fear, you've gotta understand that I mean the actual fear and ability to play on fear has gone down to the toilet. People have gone from fighting because holy shit he launches a spear from his hand to being King Leonidas and fighting because the shit needs to be taken care of. It is not fear that drives them, but a waryness of things.

So really, I can't justify the Fred-man because Mortal Kombat characters wouldn't be his tea and biscuits. If he had a choice between them and a load of normal people, the normal people would be more appealing than booze and cigarettes. MK characters are his equivalent of eating his vegetables, and I mean the ones that don't have that much nutritional value.
Maybe not, but I still believe that playing off fear works for both the kind where you fear what you don't know is happening, like the films, and the kind where you know your life is at stake, which is what MK has more of. If you look at it that way, the Krueger idea does make some sense. Not complete sense, but enough to justify him being in the game.
Maybe so, but I feel it's not the best of ideas because unlike his previous targets, MK characters can kick his ass. Also, I think we can agree that some of the characters really can't feel fear. Scorpion is, for instance, a dead man walking, a hellish nightmare in a ninja outfit.

AgentBJ09

May 24, 2010
FalloutJack said:
Maybe so, but I feel it's not the best of ideas because unlike his previous targets, MK characters can kick his ass. Also, I think we can agree that some of the characters really can't feel fear. Scorpion is, for instance, a dead man walking, a hellish nightmare in a ninja outfit.
Since he's a spectre, that is true, but he certainly does feel sadness and anger. Watch his Chapter of the MK9 Story Mode and you'll see it.

That said, it may not be a great idea to make Krueger a character, but it was one people didn't expect, which I'll give Neatherrealm some credit for. That was creative, even if it doesn't make total sense.

Reaper69lol

Disciple of The Gravity cat
Apr 16, 2010
Fuck yeah! Even though I'l still play as Rain, but hey, never seen Freddy in a videogame before, and he seems to fit right in with other MK characters.

GuitArchon

Jan 20, 2011
pspman45 said:
No
I really don't think that Freddy Krueger would be a good 4th DLC character.
there are still other Mortal Kombat characters who didn't make an appearance
I would rather see
Master Bo' Rai Cho
Shujinko
Darrius
Hotaru

I would rather see that than have netherrealm studios have to pay a bunch of money to license that character
I'll support you in-so-far as I understand why you'd rather see some of your old MK favorites instead of a horror movie star that has no prior relation to the series.

However, I disagree with your choice of former Kombatants to add to the roster.
Bo' Rai Cho was awkward and had his "comic-relief" meter up a little too high for my tastes.
I can't remember a single memorable attribute about Shujinko.
Darrius was cool. I'll agree with you there.
Hotaru was OK too, though, he'd still only be in the middle of my list of personal picks.

I'd personally prefer if they added Shao Kahn and Goro as playable characters in VS. mode (Christ, you even PLAY as Goro in one of the Tower missions). I'd also like to see Frost, Havik and/or Reiko.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
I'd rather have characters from the old games as opposed to gimmicky cameo characters *coughkratoscough*

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Eh, I don't even like that Kratos is in it. I would rather see actual MK characters than random characters from other games/media.

Last Hugh Alive

Jul 6, 2011
Freddy fits, sure. But I'd rather the last kharacter actually be from the MK universe. I would've prefered Cyber-Smoke, Reiko, Tanya or Havik. Maybe Fujin, but I don't know why so many people like him.

pspman45

Sep 1, 2010
GuitArchon said:
I'll support you in-so-far as I understand why you'd rather see some of your old MK favorites instead of a horror movie star that has no prior relation to the series.

However, I disagree with your choice of former Kombatants to add to the roster.
Bo' Rai Cho was awkward and had his "comic-relief" meter up a little too high for my tastes.
I can't remember a single memorable attribute about Shujinko.
Darrius was cool. I'll agree with you there.
Hotaru was OK too, though, he'd still only be in the middle of my list of personal picks.

I'd personally prefer if they added Shao Kahn and Goro as playable characters in VS. mode (Christ, you even PLAY as Goro in one of the Tower missions). I'd also like to see Frost, Havik and/or Reiko.
OMG i totally forgot Frost!
And I liked Shujinko, he had an awesome voice (plus they don't have the "old wise man" character this game. and no, Shang Tsung does not count!)
And I choose Bo' Rai Cho because they need to mix up the body types for the male characters.

Treeinthewoods

May 14, 2010
They damn well better add Jason Voorhees then! I mean, come on.

Freddy VS Jason is bound to be gaming gold, isn't it?

Stall

Apr 16, 2011
Buchholz101 said:
Yay, if Robert Englund voices him, nay, if not.
Pretty well this, along Freddy getting tons of great one-liners. That's the biggest thing lacking in the trailer: Freddy not saying anything witty or... Freddyish after a kill.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
Holy...fucking...shit.

If this is real, if this is really real... I'm going to have to buy Mortal Kombat now, because while I'm not an MK fan, I am an Elm Street Purist, and while I have my little bit of doubt that this Freddy looks nothing like Robert Englund's Freddy (His had a nose, this one doesn't), I can't say I'd pass up the opportunity to play as my favorite horror movie icon of all time.

Also: This is probably the only time Freddy will ever appear in a video game and have it be...well good. I have played NOES on NES (How fun to write), and we all know the reputation that has. It would be nice to play him and have fun with it.

Also: Is anyone getting the same feeling I'm having? Perhaps someone will try to make Freddy a real video game character in some other kind of game? An RPG or something? No? Well, a man can dream.

Kevin Lyons

Jun 17, 2010
Frankly, I feel like he's a good enough character but they could've done him a bit better. I'm really surprised they didn't have a fatality of him forcing them to sleep and killing them in their dream somehow

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Once a fighting franchise involves Freddie Krueger, to me it's no longer a fighting franchise. And no, I don't consider Smash Bros. a fighting purist game.

Escapist, I'd just forgiven you for this shitty captcha, and now you've brought it back!

...fifteen minutes later, the post successfully, um, posts. It's late

PorkChopXpress

Huzzah!
Aug 8, 2010
Two gloves and the Jackie Earle Haley look...no. Englund is Krueger, always will be. I do love his fatalities though, especially the one with the furnace.

After reading some of these posts, I'm curious. Of all the cool crossover ideas in fighting games, why shouldn't horror icons be in THIS game? It seems like a natural fit to me. I mean Darth Vader and Link worked well in Soul Caliber - a combat game with no real visually striking graphic violence, much like Star Wars or the Zelda games...it's PG violence.

Mortal Kombat suits horror films graphic nature perfectly.

Besides, I never put much stock in MK's characters personally. Aside from Scorpion and Sub Zero, I always thought they had some of the worst/blandest characters in fighting games.

Imagining Jason Voorhies, Leather face, Hellraiser, or even Ash realized in a MK setting is something I find very interesting. Boon and Co. can keep all the female/male ninja clones.

evilstonermonkey

Oct 26, 2009
I'm pretty conflicted on this. I like Freddy a lot, but I don't really think he fits too well - as has been mentioned, he thrives on terrorizing people, not entering fighting tournaments. Still, the MK universe has never been about making sense and more about the spectacle, and seeing Scorpion fighting Krueger is pretty spectacular. I would like to see some more of the previous MK characters come back though. I liked Frost (lets be honest though, primarily because it was Sub Zero with tits), and have always been a fan of Motaro (though if they take away his back legs and tail again like in Armageddon, I will be severely unimpressed) and would like to see Goro as a playable character.

Also, why does Freddy have two claws? That bugs me more than it should.

Furbyz

Oct 12, 2009
I wonder if he'll get tournament play? I hope so. There's only so many variations of Kung Lao and Kabal matches. I'm exaggerating. It's not as bad as it used to be, but still.