Poll: Friends dating your ex

Aanorith

Mar 17, 2009
EDIT
---------------------------------------------------

I felt the need to re-write my opening. In the spur of the moment, I wrote abit to much in the middle of the night, not really the point. My intent with the whole post was just a rant. My ex started dating one of my best friends which led to some drama and eventually he alienated all his friends in favor of spending time with her.

Now, the same said ex is dating another one of my friends and he is starting to show the same signs of unwillingness to hang out with anyone. Id say they are still in the "honey-moon state" of a relationship where everything is exciting is new. I also get the feeling that he is nervous about the fact that he is dating my ex, despite the fact that I have given him my blessing.

I am simply afraid that I will lose a friend again. Ill leave my first post anyway.
But THIS is what I wanted to discuss. I appreciate everyones input greatly, thank you.

About 2 years ago, one of my best friends started dating my ex girlfriend. I suppose she and I didn't have a very good break-up. At that time, she was very depressed, alot. She didn't like my friends, she didn't like leaving the house. Going to the movies was boring, eating out was waste of money, my friends were stupid. Of course, I prolly did alot of stuff that was bad too. It takes 2 to tango. But this is just my side of the story and not really relevant.

I eventually broke up with her because I just couldn't take her negativity anymore.
Just alittle back-story, enjoy.

Anyway, after awhile my started to act very strangly. He rarely answered his phone when I called, turned the rest of the guys when asked to hang out and so on. When his birthday was coming up, we had planned a big party for him with all his friends, but he said that wouldnt be necessary. He had big plans with a secret girl in a fancy hotel. We were all happy for him that he found someone he liked, but still we wanted to throw this party for him and said he could bring her.

He turned us down and we were all confused. 3 months later, one of our common friends finally blurts out on a party while drunk. "Dude.. I don't wanna lie anymore. He's bin dating Jennifer for the past 3 months".

This was one of the biggest shocks I've had in my life. I couldn't for the life of me understand how he had bin keeping thier relationship for over 3 months and blowing off his friends party in favor of my ex. For 2 weeks, I grinded my teeth so hard in my sleep, I had problems eating properly from the pain in my jaw. But I wanted us to still be friends, I asked him why he lied about it, why couldnt you just have told me?

Now, to some this may sound stupid, it's not just the fact that he's dating my ex, it's that he blew all of us off in favor of her. That's what pains me. Short story is basically him telling me he really didn't think it was any of my business and "hey you broke up with her".

For awhile we had a very strained friendship and I eventually couldnt take it anymore when he called me and asked things like "what dinner places does she like?" and "what sould I get for Jennifer's brothers birthday".

For over a year we didn't talk and now that they have broken up he's trying to re-establish contact with all the friends he blew off in the process. But frankly it ain't going to well for any of us. Things have simply changed.

Now, you may think that if this happend so long ago why am I thinking about it now? Well now that those to broke up, one of my other friends stepped in and took his place. Using similar logic of, well you did break up with her and it's not really any of my business.

We used to hang out 3-4 times a week (we like 5 min apart from each other). I've met him once since new years eve, when I call he's either busy of tired from work. So things have changed. I asked if he wanted to hang out tomorrow, but he's busy the rest of the week and he'll see if he's got time sometime next week. We have talked this over, I'm not as you can imaging thrilled about it, but I don't wanna lose him as a friend.

It makes it easier not being equally pissed this time, the first I was simply pissed because he went behind my back and kept it hidden. Now I just feel... empty that 2 of my best friends seem to think my ex is more intressting then me. I don't know what I hope to gain from this post. It's nothing more then a rant anyway. Share your stories, tell me to grow a pair of ignore it for what it is. Rant.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Well I'm not going to rant about my shit, but my fucking god I'd hate it if one of my friends went with an ex I actually cared about. I'm sure they would feel the same as well, and I know most of them wouldn't but I can think of one or two that would happily go for it whether or not their friend was happy about it.

I'd find it hard to even be friends with them still, and most likely would end up drunkenly fighting them whenever we did anything.

I know how you feel, and it's shit.
Just smile, and be happy whenever they're around, otherwise she has the satisfaction of seeing how she broke you. (She most likely doesn't think like that)

Aerodynamic

Feb 23, 2009
I can't say a thing about this due to the fact I never had a real girlfriend. With that being said I am only 14 so I guess even if I did have one I wouldn't feel anything real about them.

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
I don't believe in the conventional bro-code, but some degree of respect is required among those who call each other friends.

Aanorith

Mar 17, 2009
D4zZ said:
I know how you feel, and it's shit.
Just smile, and be happy whenever they're around, otherwise she has the satisfaction of seeing how she broke you. (She most likely doesn't think like that)
I hear ya. You are most certainly right :p

Veret

Apr 1, 2009
Ouch. In response to your poll question, I think the real dick move wasn't him going out with your ex, but the not telling you about it for three months. That's just common decency, really.

I don't know that I can offer you any advice, though. Just wait around for BonsaiK to show up. ;)

CincoDeMayo

Dec 17, 2008
I don't "live by the code", but I believe in it out of respect of my friends. I wouldn't want to hurt them by taking something they couldn't have, and I expect the same from my friends as well.

If however love were to occur between a friend's ex and I, I would at least talk with my friend about it before taking anything to the next level. You might look at it as "seeking their blessings" or something, I guess. I just don't like hurting people, I've been hurt because of that before so I know that it's a ************.

But your friend was honestly a douche for not talking to you about it, I would've been angry with him even if it weren't just for the fact that he was seeing your ex but for lying and hiding it from you.

dante brevity

Apr 15, 2009
Are you an adult? If not, this drama is fodder for your eventual therapy bills, so don't get too hung up on such things unless you want to one day finance Dr. Bob's vacation home.

If you are an adult, grow a pair. You didn't want her anymore, so you have no rights to this woman. If your buddy wants to date her, that's between her and him. You have nothing to do with their relationship choices. If it bothers you that much, stop hanging out with the guy. Bitching and moaning about "He lied to me..." is beneath your dignity. Move on. She did.

Aanorith

Mar 17, 2009
dante brevity said:
Are you an adult? If not, this drama is fodder for your eventual therapy bills, so don't get too hung up on such things unless you want to one day finance Dr. Bob's vacation home.

If you are an adult, grow a pair. You didn't want her anymore, so you have no rights to this woman. If your buddy wants to date her, that's between her and him. You have nothing to do with their relationship choices. If it bothers you that much, stop hanging out with the guy. Bitching and moaning about "He lied to me..." is beneath your dignity. Move on. She did.
Fair enough. I won't argue over it, you are right. I suppose I'm an adult if 22 counts hehe.

Apr 28, 2008
I've had friends blow me off for girls, not my ex's, but others. Its fucking infuriating. It tears me up inside because I want them to be happy, yet I want to punch the ***** square in the mouth.

In the end, I usually take my friends back, since most of the time they straight up told me they were going out. Usually what would happen is that the girl would get all clingy and it would usually resort to "me or them." It happened 3 times, and 2 of those times my friends told her to fuck off. The one that chose the girl, well thats personal and I don't feel like talking about that.

As for the "Bro-code". Well...

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Never had a girlfriend, so I can't really say I feel your pain. On one hand though, I've had a friend who dated this girl for a little while. It lasted a couple weeks before she broke it off because she "didn't have time for a boyfriend." About 5 days later, she was seen making out with one of his friends at his concert that he invited them to.

He wasen't really mad at her though as it wasen't really that long lasting to be important to him and they end up hanging out with eachother a lot.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
That was a violation.

If your bro still has feelings for said ex, thou shall not make advances, but can respond to advances made by said ex.

Thou shall not intentionally harm a bro's relationship unless a near unanimous agreement is made by fellow bros.

Thou shall not blow off bro's for a girl beyond a reasonable point. "Bros before hoes"

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
Wardog13 said:
That was a violation.

If your bro still has feelings for said ex, thou shall not make advances, but can respond to advances made by said ex.

Thou shall not intentionally harm a bro's relationship unless a near unanimous agreement is made by fellow bros.

Thou shall not blow off bro's for a girl beyond a reasonable point. "Bros before hoes"
Know the code.
Respect the code.
Live by the code.
Bro code.
Road House!

effilctar

Jul 24, 2009
Live by the code: Bro's before hoes *extends bro-fist*

My friend has an ex who, to be honest, is not unattractive at all and genuinely wants me, but due to the fact that she was a complete ***** to him (mental abuse) I say no, because of The Code.

I had a friend who decided to see one of my ex's. The rest of my friends and I hated him for it and the bromance became a brolocaust, he was kicked out of the broship circle. He split up with her a few months later, and we were there dishing out the bro-hugs. Our broship is back to being brotastic.

I have since then started talking to my ex again and we may or may not be getting back together, which my bro doesn't mind as we were genuinely good for eachother and I was with her for a couple of years the first time round.

HandfulofWolf

Jan 27, 2010
I think if you like someone's ex-girlfriend you should man up and talk to them directly about it. And be sincere. If he says a firm "No." try to make him understand how you feel. if he still says "No." respect that. This guy is your friend after all. I expect a similar level of respect from anyone else in the same situation but me on the other side. And yes I have turned down a friends ex before. So I'm speaking of experience. Depends how much you value your friendship.

EDIT: Speaking from experience even.

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
Irridium said:
I've had friends blow me off for girls, not my ex's, but others. Its fucking infuriating. It tears me up inside because I want them to be happy, yet I want to punch the ***** square in the mouth.

In the end, I usually take my friends back, since most of the time they straight up told me they were going out. Usually what would happen is that the girl would get all clingy and it would usually resort to "me or them." It happened 3 times, and 2 of those times my friends told her to fuck off. The one that chose the girl, well thats personal and I don't feel like talking about that.

As for the "Bro-code". Wel...
too bad the image isn't there, but you still can describe us what you saw?

HandfulofWolf

Jan 27, 2010
Orcus_35 said:
Irridium said:

As for the "Bro-code". Wel...
too bad the image isn't there, but you still can describe us what you saw?

Bet you any money it's Barney Stinton.

siffty

Jul 12, 2009
iv had this done to me i ended up playing bass for 6hours strait and shreded my fingertips then i clicked that i should at least be happy for them .so i have him my some pointers and told him if he fuckes up like i did he should just run.

her dad was a bit of a nut job so we decided to end it out of safety for her