Poll: Friends With Benefits?

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Dags90 said:
Fappy said:
Aren't they pretty much just variations of the same idea. What makes one work more than the other?
The "friends" part. Fuck buddies are a purely sexual endeavor, whereas friends with benefits involves hanging out outside of sex AFAIK.
Then I have to revise my answer, I've had one "friend with benefits" and one fuck buddy.
Fappy said:
I suppose there aren't really any repercussions when you break it off aside from... you know... not having a someone to bone.
Surely that is the most serious consequence of all.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Colour-Scientist said:
Dags90 said:
Fappy said:
Aren't they pretty much just variations of the same idea. What makes one work more than the other?
The "friends" part. Fuck buddies are a purely sexual endeavor, whereas friends with benefits involves hanging out outside of sex AFAIK.
Then I have to revise my answer, I've had one "friend with benefits" and one fuck buddy.
Fappy said:
I suppose there aren't really any repercussions when you break it off aside from... you know... not having a someone to bone.
Surely that is the most serious consequence of all.
Screw emotions! Think about the poor penis! The humanity!

:(

Images

Apr 8, 2010
It can't work long-term in my opinion. Someone always gets attached. I have seen this happen a bunch of times and one of them either pushes to make it something serious or one of them gets into a relationship with someone else and the friend gets pissy, attempting to sabotage the relationship to get their benefits back or starts doing creepy ass shit like this... [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd_fcyg1Fdk]

Only happy outcomes are really if one of them moves away before it gets heavy or they take the plunge and start dating.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
Fappy said:

You're practically begging Daystar to show up and derail this thread, you know.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Copper Zen said:
Fappy said:

You're practically begging Daystar to show up and derail this thread, you know.
Shhhhhh! I put Daystar to bed a bit ago. We can discuss things on-topic for the time being.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
If people want to, then feel free I say.
Not exactly interested in them myself. Lots of unnecessary drama.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
I consider myself lucky, I have such a thing right now. A friend sometimes joins me and my girlfriend, it's really fun and totally not awkward. Happens once a month or so.

Also a few years ago I broke up amically with my ex since we worked better as just friends. But the sex was too good to give up so we continued that, until it just fizzled out a bit. Then we went back to normal friends.

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
I've had many, sometimes a few on the go at once. It was from a time I enjoyed sex but really wasn't interested in relationships.

I'm happily settled down now with someone who has never been a friends with benefits. It was fun back then.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Well, I have had one-night stands with some of my friends, but I don't think that counts. There was never any conversation where the "let's have sex with each-other but never get romantic feelings" agreement was reached. It just sort of happened, and then it either changed the dynamic of our relationship, or it didn't, in which case we just left it at the one time.

I mean, if people want to try it it's no skin off my nose, but I really don't see it working for the vast majority of people. For one thing, having that sort of strict arrangement between two people has always struck me as an ironically un-casual way to approach the concept of casual sex.

Senor Smoke21

May 23, 2008
I guess I'd have to go for option 5, although it didn't really crash and burn, just sort of ended for whatever reason.
I THINK we were getting too close, feelings getting too etc and she'd just come out of a serious relationship/wasn't ready yadda yadda.
At least I tell myself that to keep the sads away.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Personally I haven't tried nor do I want to. I have friends that I really care about and I wouldn't want to lose them for anything. Sex isn't that important to me, having someone that I can trust and talk to matters. Sure it might work out, but chances are that one of us will start having deeper feelings than just friends with benefit and then it can turn ugly quite quickly.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
Done it twice. The first time was the ex-girlfriend after we realised we weren't compatible and broke up. It seemed fine at first, until she got drunk and accused me of beating and raping her to some friends of hers who very nearly (and very understandably) almost rang the police.

The second time was with a girl I'd fancied since I had my first testicle hair. I thought it was going well, but we've since lost contact and I can't help but feel it was because of a few times when our 'purely sexual' relationship started to turn a bit more affectionate, and we were both a bit scared of that.

I'm still open to the concept, I just know it's not for everyone: unfortunately, a lot of people are 'everyone' and don't know it.

Arfonious

Nov 9, 2009
Yes I was in such a relationship, it sort of ended but not in a crashing and burning sense so I can't really vote in the poll

However, we had known each other for a few years but were not really close friends. We were chatting about sex and stuffand came to the consensus that we both wanted sex and the easiest way of getting it was together, so there it was.

We have met for 'pleasures of the flesh' a handfull of times and it sort of ended now that the other person moved

Rascarin

Feb 8, 2009
Yes, for about a month. I ended it when she started to get too attached. We're not close any more, but its not awkward either.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
I somehow doubt that this can work. Then again, I believe sex is often too much work to be worth it, so something like that would just devalue a friendship. Nah, my girlfriend is, first and foremost, my soulmate, and physical romance is just a bonus to that.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I have the creepy feeling that this would make me feel super shitty like okay I'm good enough for him to sleep with and be friends with but not enough to have a relationship with?

Yeah...great :S.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Was, worked fine, then we both got in actual relationships which lasted around 2 years and after not speaking for 2 years found out we were both single and started it up again whilst wingmaning for each other on nights out.

We've made intentions clear and if it started getting weird for anyone it would just be ended, pretty sure one of us will find someone else way before then though.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Yeah and while I wouldn't say it doesn't work I did get bored of it after awhile. Er not so much bored of it but I just kind of forgot about it. This friend and I were not extremely close and were just open and said screw it. Then our lives got busy and we drifted apart so the sex stopped, simple as that.