Poll: Fullscreen, borderless or windowed mode?

Vornek

Jan 25, 2011
I booted up a few of my games clicking through their options menus, and gazed on the window mode button. Then I realized how few games actually allow borderless. Seeing as I use 4 screens [insert PC elitist joke], I love borderless, because then I can Alt+Tab without minimizing the window.

So, what screen mode do you prefer?

And to add some more flavor while I'm at it, how often do you see games that allow borderless mode?

Captcha: "ham and cheese" damn it, now I'm hungry

-V

Edit: unnecessary to have the word "Poll" twice in the title.
Edit 2: Added a "depends on the game" option

Vornek

Jan 25, 2011
Matthew94 said:
Why use 4 screens for games? That just seems like a hassle, I can understand 3 as your reticule in games would be on the middle screen but 4 just seems like it would be a hassle and would be too stretched if you did it 4x1.

I prefer fullscreen as I have one monitor.
Well I only use one screen for the game itself, but I often multitask, like having the game on screen 1, an article on screen 2, some music or whatnot on screen 3, and screen 4 simply because I can and because I like seeing the start menu.

-V

Rangarig

Dragon in disguise
Apr 19, 2010
Depends on how the game behaves. Generally Borderless Windowed, so I can easily switch applications and/or switch screens.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
I'll take borderless windowed if it's offered, but usually I'll play fullscreen if I feel it's a game that really benefits from taking up the whole screen. Stuff like large landscapes / cityscapes, modern graphics quality, good art design / aesthetics, etc helps. If it's a game that isn't so visually attractive, I'll let it stay at windowed mode so I can easily alt-tab between stuff if necessary.

Vornek

Jan 25, 2011
Matthew94 said:
Oh god, not another person who insists on "signing" posts. Do you think your posts are special or what? We can see your name on the left, you don't need to sign them. I have only ever met 1 person who gave a semi reasonable reason for doing it. I lump this in with people who do all their posts in another colour or who bold them all.
TBH, I started doing it a while ago (granted that was e-mail), no-one objected and then it became habit.

Now that you actually mention it, it does seem a bit pointless to do it on the forums here. Ah well.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
If the game is simplistic or has lots of waiting then I usually go Windowed/Borderless so switching to other things goes smoother, and if it's a properly engaging game (or pissy port with no option) then I'm on windowed mode.
But I always keep a youtube vid/TV series on my other screen in case the game gets dull.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Borderless windows are useful for a reason aside from the stabler alt+tabbing: in a lot of games, you get a slight performance boost compared with full screen. It doesn't matter much if you've already got a high spec PC, but it's useful for people who play on laptops and older machines.

Slaanesh

Aug 1, 2011
Full screen most of the time, usually for multiplayer. Sometimes use windowed for single player games so I can easily choose songs to listen to while I play(only on games like Serious Sam or Painkiller).
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Borderless windows are useful for a reason aside from the stabler alt+tabbing: in a lot of games, you get a slight performance boost compared with full screen.
Really? I might start doing that then.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Multi-screen, so borderless on everything possible.

Full screen annoys me immensely with it's minimizing.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Matthew94 said:
Oh god, not another person who insists on "signing" posts. Do you think your posts are special or what? We can see your name on the left, you don't need to sign them. I have only ever met 1 person who gave a semi reasonable reason for doing it. I lump this in with people who do all their posts in another colour or who bold them all.
Thank you for saying that. It pisses me off. It's so god damn frustrating because it's stupid and useless. Stop signing your fuckin' posts. We know who posted for fuck sake.

OT: I use fullscreen. Never heard about performance boost with borderless. I'll run some tests.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
When I'm playing a game, I'm playing a game. Multitasking lessens my enjoyment of the game, fullscreen for me.

Aircross

Jun 16, 2011
Borderless windowed but still at the maximum resolution. That way I can alt-tab out and do other things with the game on.

ubersyanyde

Dec 9, 2011
I only use 1 monitor and never multitask unless I need to, so fullscreen here.

The only time I use windowed/borderless is if I'm playing a smaller game that doesn't really benefit from a higher resolution, for example Binding of Isaac or Super Meat Boy.