Poll: Futurama-Simpsons Crossover should give Simpsons a boost

jamail77

May 21, 2011
I am one of those people who thinks The Simpsons degraded in quality over the years. I still watch it if my Mom is watching it at that particular time I am near the TV as part of a family tradition, out of habit, and because it still has the occasional goodness sprinkled in. I don't have an exact season for the degrade though like so many fans though, which I think indicates I'm not as critical or spiteful about current Simpsons. Part of my lack of interest in new Simpsons is just how long it's gone on for. Even if quality is kept along with comedy it gets old and tiring after a while to the point I get series fatigue and want it to go away. To keep the freshness all that time is hard.

Degradation is inevitable for a series that long, very few things can remain the same, or barring that, keep up the same level of quality to go with change. Simpsons was overall simpler in the past, cleverer in a couple ways, but most importantly it was just more heartwarming and less gimmicky. Flanderization hadn't happened. Lisa was a more tolerable, realistic character usually before she got all Buddhist, vegetarian, global warming, and just more stereotypically nerdy relatively, which would be fine if it didn't accompany occasional annoying parts of her personality. Everything else that happened to make a point about changing politics or satisfy certain writers' wishes or just because degradation was inevitable and had started...hadn't happened yet. It seems to happen to a lot of animated sitcoms. Even Simpsons has made fun of the criticism. Ex. During a clip show anniversary special or something along those lines a boy told Troy McClure that it seemed like Homer was getting stupider every year, to which he played clips of Homer's stupidity situations for laughs.

Pairing it with Futurama might give it a temporary, maybe permanent until cancellation or conclusion, quality increase. Futurama had its up and downs; overall, I think it had more ups. Maybe, that's just the future setting fetish talking from diehard fans. Thoughts?

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I don't think so, for me not only has Simpson's been lousy for several years, but the Comedy Central Futurama episodes weren't very good either personally. So one series that is dead, and the other one slowly dying coming together won't give Simpsons a boost.

I totally agree with you about the flanderization of the characters. They are literally caricatures of their former selves. Funny you mentioned the political side of things, apparently as the show delved more into one-sided politics, the viewership fell drastically every year since.

I just want the show dead, it's a gross zombie shambling onto television screens hoping to remain relevant. If this keeps up, the balance in favor of good episodes will drop and the bad ones will start to comprise more of the series.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Hero of Lime said:
I totally agree with you about the flanderization of the characters. They are literally caricatures of their former selves.
Interesting note, in the tree house of horror intro this year there's a transition where you see an underground cross-section, and the original character designs for the Simpson family are buried there.

Just a joke, or a clue that something far more sinister is going on in Springfield than we could possibly imagine?

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
KeyMaster45 said:
Hero of Lime said:
I totally agree with you about the flanderization of the characters. They are literally caricatures of their former selves.
Interesting note, in the tree house of horror intro this year there's a transition where you see an underground cross-section, and the original character designs for the Simpson family are buried there.

Just a joke, or a clue that something far more sinister is going on in Springfield than we could possibly imagine?
I would bet there would be a few more sets of dead Simpson families closer to the surface, maybe the writers are admitting the family a lot of us used to love has been dead for a while.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
We'll have to wait and see. The show's been on the decline lately, but they can still pull off a good episode every now and again.

Truth be told, I'm more excited about the Family Guy crossover.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
The crossover episode will be better than other recent Simpsons episodes probably, but the show will probably not get lastingly better.

Kalashnikov2092

Feb 15, 2011
Hero of Lime said:
I would bet there would be a few more sets of dead Simpson families closer to the surface, maybe the writers are admitting the family a lot of us used to love has been dead for a while.
Or maybe it's a Tree House of Horror opening so showing creepy, but non canonical things is the norm?

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
The Simpsons is already dead to me so a crossover isn't going to make me watch it again. And I'd rather Futurama kept away from the Simpsons as much as possible, I still like the show and whilst it has also gotten a bit worse in recent times it's still better than the Simpsons has been for years.

Rossco64

Apr 14, 2009
I got to say I'm with MovieBob in that I still think The Simpsons is great. In fact I would go as afar as to say that ever since the switch to HD it's began to be as good as it was in it's peak, I don't know if they changed the show runner or reshuffled the writers room recently but I wouldn't be surprised because they've been really hitting all the right notes recently.

GigaHz

Jul 5, 2011
A crossover giving the Simpsons a boost?

Sounds like reviving a dead horse using jumper cables.

The only thing that can help the Simpsons as a series is a cancellation. Let the show go out with even a vague resemblance of dignity, if such a thing is even possible at this point.

mirage202

Mar 13, 2012
I honestly believe Simpsons is well past it's sell by date.

I must have stopped watching 3-4 years back, there comes a point when you really do need to just take the poor old girl out into the woods and end her suffering.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
I wonder how much legal trouble such a crossover would cause; who has the rights to the characters and their portrayal. Stuff like that.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Oh, is Simpsons still going? I stopped caring several years after it stopped being remotely interesting.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
JimB said:
I wonder how much legal trouble such a crossover would cause; who has the rights to the characters and their portrayal. Stuff like that.
There is already a Futurama/Simpsons-crossover comic. I quite enjoyed it, actually. But I'm not a huge fan of either property, so I don't really care all that much.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Johnny Novgorod said:
I say cancel the damn thing already, it's embarrassing enough.
I agree with this. It was my fvourite show in the 90s and early 2000's but it's just... over.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Maybe a few years ago it would've helped, but the Futurama revival's been really, really bad.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
I mean I long since stopped watching them.

But now? My 4 year old nephew likes to watch them the same I did as a kid.

They're past the point where they can bow out gracefully, they might as well keep making them to the point that drive the plane straight into the ground.