Poll: Future Total War games

thejboy88

Aug 29, 2010
With the latest Total War game, this time based not on a historic period but one the Warhammer franchise, coming up soon, I would like to take a moment to discuss various other kinds of games they could be making. There have been a number of popular ideas as to what period or region should be focused on in TW games, and I'm going to present a few of the most popular here to see which ones you think should be used at some point.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
I wish Total War delved in the alternate timelines more. If I decide for Poland or Carthage to rule the known world I want to see the outcome. What annoyed me in Medieval War limited some factions from getting gunpowder like Byzantium and Scotland because they were meant to be beat early.

Likewise making me have to own parts of India, Gibralter and America as England in Empire means I'm stuck repeating history. What if I want to stage a bloody revolution and push into the heart of Europe?

Apr 24, 2008
Hmmm. The idea of an early 20th century Total War is sorta interesting, but perhaps hard to pull off. The idea of going through the WW's and on into the future is neat though, would be an alternate history that is more instantly relatable than what they've done so far.

I do like the idea of the fantasy settings though, so I wouldn't be opposed to seeing more of those if there are other fitting fictions to work with.

CeeBod

Sep 4, 2012
I used to love the Total War games. Medieval 2 was the high point for me, with the huge variety of units, the different playing styles required for each of the factions, and the period is one I find interesting anyway.

China during the warring states could be interesting but might play a little too samey to Shogun Total War. WW1/WW2 fall foul of the fact that the combat engine works best for melee and short range volley ranged attacks - I found the musket focused games a bit wonky, I can't imagine it handling rifle combat at all well. Babylon era middle-east and city states Greece could be cool, but as per my first point, I like variety, and focusing on just one might make the battles all a little too samey. Phalanx-based combat in a Greek city states game could get old fast!

What I'd love to see for any new Total War game is a wide variety of options that aren't locked behind DLC paywalls, factions that each play uniquely for increased replayability, and an AI that actually uses a wide and interesting array of unit types and knows how to use them tactically. Given all recent evidence to the contrary, I think more realistically I'd like to see someone other than Creative Assembly create a game that marries turn based strategy and real time combat in an interesting way, because I honestly think CA have seriously regressed and we need new blood to make things interesting again.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
Honestly, I would like to see anything regarding the Middle East or East Asia. As much fun as messing with Europe can be, it's a location that's touched upon fairly often or is the region where the playable factions in TW-esque games tend to be located. By comparison we don't see a focus on playable factions in the Middle East and East Asia nearly as often, the only two that actually come to my mind right now are Shogun and Shogun 2.

However, I'm also incredibly new to RTS with my experience primarily being limited to Total War games and to Crusader Kings 2 so I could be completely wrong in that regard.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
China has been the most requested for a while now, and most desired by me.

Though if Creative Assembly continues to deliver Total War games on the same level as the hot garbage that was Rome 2, you can color me disinterested.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
I think there's no way around a China total war at this point. You can only do Europe and surroundings so much before it gets samey. I suspect they will go for a Mongol Total war with Mongolia, the four Chinese realms and the now forgotten Khwarazmian empire(Iran plus central asia) as the map.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
I've voted "other" not because I wouldn't wish to see any of the suggested games, but because I'd like to see the total war team have a crack at making their own fantasy world.
A place where they can let their creativity run wild without having to ensure the right number of buttons on a uniform isn't enraging a valued and treasured, if pedantic element of the fanbase.

I know they have restated their commitment to further historical games down the line via twitter or some other public announcement, but it's my sincere hope they don't stick solely to that.

Even the upcoming warhammer, while fantasy, is still bound by other peoples designs.
I'd like to see a world where their team got to stretch their creative legs.

That, or "Total War:Westeros." with an eventual "Essos" expansion.

The only game listed in the poll that left me cold was the world war one option.
It strikes me as a difficult conflict to represent in the format they use, though that may be a deficit of imagination on my part.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
A Romance Of the Three Kingdoms Total War game would be both confusing and completely awesome.

Beyond that, just China in general is such a big place with so much going on, it'd be nice to have at least one game involving itself considerable with the area.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Total War should never touch anything past the Civil War era. I don't think they could pull off a WW1 or WW2 game with how their games are set up.

I'd like to see something in the Middle East or China personally... or they could just remake Medieval.

Lotet

Aug 28, 2009
I chose Babylon because of ignorance on my part. I know almost nothing about that period and I would like to see it and learn the random information they bring up. Even if some of that information is of questionable validity.

I wonder if they'll ever try to make a World Scale Total War going from the start of the Medieval times to about 1750 or so in technological progress. Let me control the Mongols even, see how that works out. It would be nice if the ethnicity of your soldiers changed depending on where you recruit them. Like, if you're British and you took over India then most of your soldiers recruited there will be Indian, like in the real world.

Sep 9, 2007
Elfgore said:
Total War should never touch anything past the Civil War era. I don't think they could pull off a WW1 or WW2 game with how their games are set up.

I'd like to see something in the Middle East or China personally... or they could just remake Medieval.
I'm not sure if I'm remembering this correctly, but I think CA have said themselves that the Total War engine doesn't really work that well with firearms, so any period after the 18th century probably wouldn't be considered. Damned if I can remember where I thought they said it, though.

OT: The Three Kingdoms period could be an interesting setting for a TW game... Although really, I'd be interested in anything other than Feudal Japan, the Roman Empire or Medieval Europe. Its been done before, twice even. Time for a different time period.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
i say screw it and go the whole way.. 500BCE to 1914, the entire planet

slow down conquests so the player isnt conquering the planet in a coupleof centuries, make it harder and harder to keep kingdoms together the longer they last

TheCommanders

ohmygodimonfire
Nov 30, 2011
Mikeybb said:
I've voted "other" not because I wouldn't wish to see any of the suggested games, but because I'd like to see the total war team have a crack at making their own fantasy world.
A place where they can let their creativity run wild without having to ensure the right number of buttons on a uniform isn't enraging a valued and treasured, if pedantic element of the fanbase.

I know they have restated their commitment to further historical games down the line via twitter or some other public announcement, but it's my sincere hope they don't stick solely to that.

Even the upcoming warhammer, while fantasy, is still bound by other peoples designs.
I'd like to see a world where their team got to stretch their creative legs.

That, or "Total War:Westeros." with an eventual "Essos" expansion.

The only game listed in the poll that left me cold was the world war one option.
It strikes me as a difficult conflict to represent in the format they use, though that may be a deficit of imagination on my part.
Pretty much this. The warhammer game is actually looking pretty interesting to me. I've no knowledge of the original game, however, and I'm worried that they're going to have a shitstorm if they don't cater to fans of the original's every wish. I just really like the idea of a game where you could get epic Lord of the Rings style battles. The old Battle for Middle Earth games were fun, but didn't really capture the feel I was looking for.

GrumpyPirate

Mar 14, 2005
The asian equalent of Medieval 2. This would mean china separated into many states, Mongols, Japan, Korea, Vietnam, burma, kambodia, thailand, malaysia, indonesia, possibly india on the far side. Yes it would be huge and yes it might be tricky balancing historical accuracy with the best mix of factions and technology level but lets face it, its far from impossible and quite doable as long as your target is not to put your audience into a juice press and squeezeeeee until every dime is gone.

No bullshit like the tiny ridicolous japan in shogun 2, or the epicly horrible failed scope and balance of empire but several factions in each country a true experience like the medieval 2 map but larger and more like the Stainless Steel mod. And for gods sake please abanding all the horrible mistakes youve been doing more or less since after Medieval 2. Most entries have a strong suit or two since then but overall its become horribly fixated on eye candy, arcady wannabe strategy and DLC. Release the entire game as a entity with every faction playable and if you want to make stuff after focus on proper expansions where you add big areas for example with the aim of eventualy including india, russia, middle east and possibly even europe. Real content not "added blood" or "2 faction x with a slightly different color". And make the preanimated duels a more rare kill animation so that units fight as actual units rather than one long que for repeated 1v1 duels.

Respect your customers and they will respect you back and return to the roots that made it a succesfull franchise.

Edit: Anything past the Napoleon era is not realistic and should not be attempted. It could be interesting but does not fit total war in any way and if it is done it should be a separate spin-off title where the necessary major adjustements on HUD, battles, units etc can be done to accomodate the new technology and era of warfare.

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
At first I was thinking do warhammer 40k and that could be really epic if rater impossible. Then I saw op's option for pre colonial Africa. That could be really neat particularity if it extended into the colonial period and you had to deal with the issues that brought. It would be a little like the golden horde, a game braking change that totally destroys the board for some. The different perspective could be neat too.

chuckman1

Cool
Jan 15, 2009
Would love to see pre colonial Africa.
But that'll never happen so Warring States China.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Mass Effect. We need a Reaper War Total War game. With a Turian/Human war, Geth uprising and Krogan rebellion Expansions.

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
I'd like a Golden Age of Piracy Total War set in the Caribbean, where you actually get to be the pirates. The smaller focus might make a more interesting game.

The 19th century could be interesting if CA could deliver ranged combat better. And I'd like to see a Total War game focussing on the Renaissance period, instead of just tagging on a few musket units on the end of the Medieval games.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
The 17'th century and the Thirty Years War would be fertile ground, I'd say. It'd be a nice mixture of mêlée and firepower, as well as being an age of upheaval and change.