Poll: Game Soundtracks You Consider Perfect

Mar 30, 2010
Well this one's easy for me, as there is only one game soundtrack I own as an album.

In fact as soon as I finish work I'm heading home to sit out in the sun with a cold drink and a good book, and guess what'll be on in the background...

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
Metal Gear Rising had what I consider to be the best action game soundtrack ever, and Hotline Miami's is so good it's a primary selling point. The crazy intense music that plays during the most actionpacked HM2 stages...
https://youtu.be/qyfJlcrN09w[/youtube]

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
Seriously, just two games with some god damn amazing sound.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
I'd say Crypt of the Necrodancer, though I guess it's kind of cheating. Music is a huge part of the game, and they never have to deal with anything emotional or downbeat - The music drives the game play, so it's all high energy and upbeat. But it's damn good at it.

And the shop keeper is awesome.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
slo said:
Deus Ex: Human Revolution OST by Michael McCann. It's perfect. Sad and entrancing I've listened to it a lot and still do.
I'll second this. I'll also go ahead and back it up with the Mass Effect soundtrack, the Hand of Fate soundtrack and the ost for Republic Commando. It had a darker tone to it than a lot of star wars ost's typically do and fit the atmosphere really well.

chrissx2

Sep 15, 2008
Unreal 1 (not UT). The music was soo freaking atmospheric.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8hkDjVYXQY[/youtube]

Or maybe it's just nostalgia. I don't know :p.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I reckon there are many games I could name where the soundtrack suits the game perfectly, with many good songs being good on their own too.

The one that sticks out to me the most now, whether it's perfect or not is Undertale. Nearly every theme is a hit on it.

Sable Gear

Mar 26, 2009
CellShaded said:
Anything by Supergiant games. So Bastion and Transistor. STill listen to the Soundtracks today. Just so lovely.
This, though I hesitate to say perfect. As much as I can love an album, there's always one or two songs I'll inevitably skip every time (I'm looking at you, "Signals" on the Transistor OST. That aside I spent an entire summer listening to Transistr's OST on the way to work).

As for near-perfect: I'm gonna say the music from the first two Metroid Prime games. Wonderful atmosphere and a few nice reworkings of tracks from the older NES/SNES games. Also the soundtrack of the original Binding of Isaac (the Flash-based one), can't say I care for the new music but the old game definitely had tracks I still listen to.

Kyle Winston

Jul 22, 2013
All of the Ys games have excellent soundtracks. It has been said that there is no bad Ys music, just some that are better than others.

The Jovian

Dec 21, 2012
The most metal soundtrack ever (until Brutal Legend):

Also the FreeSpace 2 OST was perfect.

And so was KOTOR 2's

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
MysticSlayer said:
Xenoblade Chronicles: I always enjoyed listening to the music in the game and would often pause just to listen to it, and I sometimes look up the more memorable songs on YouTube. I personally don't remember ever disliking a song, and many were both memorable and enjoyable.
Definitely agreed-
Engage the Enemy is literally a drama music!
Mechonis Field is like a love letter to the 70/ 80 eletro music (and it's my favourite track in the game)
Mechanical Rhythm is an awesome rock hard battle song!

OT- Let see-
No More Heroes 1- It had some unquie and awesome track especially each of the assassin themesongs!
Undertales- Every single track are unquie and memories especially a couple of them can give you the feels!
The World Ends with You- I never enjoyed rap so much until I played this game!
Metriod Prime Triliogy- They are all atomshpere and suit the feel to the game perfectly!

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Kyle Winston said:
All of the Ys games have excellent soundtracks. It has been said that there is no bad Ys music, just some that are better than others.
Not enough people know about Ys, gah. I dunno how much I'd give praise to 5's soundtrack, it didn't exactly blow my mind. 6 or 7 is definitely followed up from that one in terms of "It's good, but not amazing. Has some good songs, that's about it." Get into Oath in Felghana, 1 & 2, and (personally) especially Memories in Celceta? Always yes, always <3

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Few will jump to mind, the easiest being:
-Hotline Miami 1 and 2
-Hitman: Blood money and Silent Assassin, or anyone which Jesper Kyd worked on
-The Witcher 3

And a couple of Sega Genesis classics (might be nostalgia goggles, but I still listen to them to this day)
-Streets of Rage
-Outrun
-Skitchin'
-Shinobi 3

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
RedDeadFred said:
Bastion

Every song manages to be catchy while perfectly capturing the atmosphere of the location. I consider the section where you discard your weapons and carry Zulf to be the most beautiful moments in all of gaming. A lot of that is due to the song playing over top, perfectly capturing what is happening on screen.
Very much this. Bastion easily has one of my favorite Soundtracks in gaming.

Undertale also ranks pretty high up there. If it's not perfect in my eyes, it's pretty darn close.

KayeFaye

Jul 28, 2015
Pretty much all of Akira Yamaoka's Silent Hill albums. There's something I find soothing and intoxicating about his style, and Silent Hill 2 and 3 are among my favourite albums of all time regardless of originating from a Video Game of all places.

The Witchers soundtracks are also amazing.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Already mentioned several times, but Deus Ex: Human Revolution. It somehow managed to be futuristic without sounding like cheesy techno, somewhat haunting, and epic at the same time.

Planescape: Torment. Even though most of the tracks were just short tracks played on a loop, 'hauntingly beautiful' is the best description I can think of them. Fit the world so damn well:

Myth: The Fallen Lords. This game only had a few songs in it because it doesn't have in-game music, but holy crap the music it does have is SOOOOO good. Myth is one of those games that did an amazing job of creating a dark, almost hopeless world without coming across as cheeseball "grimdark", and the soundtrack really helped it. When you lost a mission, the music really made you feel the gravity of what just happened. When you won, it made you feel like you had still managed to keep hope alive in spite of everything being thrown against you. Just a gorgeous soundtrack (and game):

Angelblaze

Jun 17, 2010
Final Fantasy X. I have a soft spot for Calm Before the Storm, Trials, Thunder Plains and People of the Mountain.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Most recently probably Witcher 3. I'm consistently stunned by not only the quality of the music but its quantity as well. How the hell are there unique pieces of music for a single potential fight in a single optional side-quest? How is it still of such high quality?

Example:
That music will only play in a very specific situation and I suspect a good chunk of players will never even hear it, yet there it is all the same and there are dozens of examples of music like this. Entire music tracks composed for one or two scenes in the game, some of which players might not even encounter. How could the devs even afford something like this?

That's not even counting the main soundtrack itself, which is stunning and doesn't even include half the music actually composed for the game.

Sable Gear said:
This, though I hesitate to say perfect. As much as I can love an album, there's always one or two songs I'll inevitably skip every time (I'm looking at you, "Signals" on the Transistor OST. That aside I spent an entire summer listening to Transistr's OST on the way to work).
Aww, I like Signals. It's slow and moody and very ambient plus that's-her-names voice is wonderful.