Poll: Game Soundtracks You Consider Perfect

THM

Sep 27, 2014
Bioshock 1, 2, and Infinite (kinda). 2 is the OST I listen to with regularity. Plus the rock songs from the Borderlands series are good, too.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
It's not perfect, but Zuntata's soundtrack for The Ninja Warriors was the first indication I ever got that a game could really feel cinematic.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
I'll agree with most posts so far, but how is it that we're on page 2 and no one has mentioned Transistor?
C'mon, people...

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
King of Asgaard said:
You skipped a few posts I think, cause Transistor was mentioned a few times! The general consensus is that some folk feel there's a song or two that simply isn't as good or catchy as the others, so it doesn't hit that "perfect" rank

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Elvis Starburst said:
King of Asgaard said:
You skipped a few posts I think, cause Transistor was mentioned a few times! The general consensus is that some folk feel there's a song or two that simply isn't as good or catchy as the others, so it doesn't hit that "perfect" rank
Oops, you're right, my bad! Don't know how I derped hard enough to miss 2 separate posts.
Anyway, since no one has mentioned it (I hope, otherwise I'll look like an arse twice in a row :p), my next vote goes to Beyond Good and Evil, despite the fact that for some reason the first track in the album is the opening cutscene.
I can't even choose my favourites from it.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
No soundtrack's perfect... but Half-Life 2's more or less flawless in terms of implementation (perfectly placed cues. two that stick out are Highway 17's bridge, and the moment you finally emerge into the daylight after Raveholm and the mines), and I think Fable II's score was perfect for that world.

Also---
dohnut king said:
Red Dead Redemption. The best thing in a game with many standout components.
Ditto'd; from the original score to the memorable use of licensed tracks, it was spot-on. I vaguely recall Undead Nightmare's score was pretty damn good, too.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
I think the soundtrack from Red Dead Redemption is very good, if not perfect considering the Western setting of the game.

By this, I don't actually mean the official Red Dead Redemption OST which was released as an album and contains selected mixes of the songs that appear in the game, but I'm referring to the actual soundtrack as in all the music files ripped straight from the game, all 20 hours of it over 255 tracks and loops.

Listening to all the music in it's raw form makes me appreciate just how much effort and talent went in to creating the music for Red Dead Redemption and how much it adds to the brilliant atmosphere of the game. I don't think there's any point in the game where there isn't music playing in the background, even if you don't consciously notice it all the time.

There are quite a few tracks that are very ambient, but which also have lots of other versions that vary in mood and tempo (or more accurately, not actual tempo as it was all recorded at the same 130 BPM, but the impression and implication of pace and speed and the drama intensified) and move from the background into the foreground as the action and pace of the game increases or as the missions move through the different phases, and there are countless occurrences where tracks loop over and into one another seemliness depending on the player's actions, there's never a jarring moment where you notice the track change.

Anyway, there's a good article here that goes into the creation of this soundtrack/score and can probably explain why it's so good better than I can, since I don't know a lot about the craft of music, but I know what I like when I hear it:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/gamesblog/2010/may/26/red-dead-redemption-soundtrack

It's certainly one of my favourite game soundtracks and one I've been lucky enough to be able to obtain and listen to in its raw form.
-----
The soundtracks from the three main Fable games are also amongst my favourite video game soundtracks, with all the pieces masterfully composed and contributing greatly to the atmosphere of the game.

There are quite a few tracks over the three games, but these two are stand-outs for me, both very moving and beautiful pieces of music in their own right:

Both of these pieces of music also help create some very moving scenes in the games they appear in, with the Marcus Memorial track being the background music in a serene forest sanctum with a plinth and a poem (penned by himself) commemorating a Lionhead staff member who had passed away, whereas in Fable 3 when your first encounter the Dwellers, the music really help you feel pity for the proud people who have been driven off their lands and are facing starvation and certain death.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
From the games that I have played, Halo 2, through to Reach (including Wars), Mass Effect 3 + Extended Cut soundtrack, and Assassin's Creed 2. Also, Bastion and Transister, 'cus Darren Korb.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Going with one nobody mentioned yet: the original Parasite Eve. Absolutely amazing. The composer has also worked on Xenoblade and Kingdom Hearts among many others.