Poll: Gamers in the Media

joystickjunki3

Nov 2, 2008
I know that these types of threads pop up every once in awhile here on the Escapist forums, but I was hoping I could get some quotes from the community about a couple things.

As part of a school project in my post-bacc. program, I've been asked to cover how gamers are portrayed in the media. So, I was wondering: How do you feel people like you, or others who share similar interests, are portrayed in the media?

Do you feel that this is often a fair portrayal? I do not want to affect anyone's stories, but also keep in mind that many a time, murders are attributed to the killer having played video games at some point in their lives. Are video games just the hot-topic scapegoat, so to speak? In other words, will blaming games come to pass?

Is there anything that makes you and your pastime (be it gaming, or otherwise) special and different from others? Or, what do you think makes you a gamer?

Finally, what do feel that the gaming community has brought to culture and society (particularly American society, but also other countries)?

Thanks in advance for all the help!

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
joystickjunki3 said:
I know that these types of threads pop up every once in awhile here on the Escapist forums, but I was hoping I could get some quotes from the community about a couple things.

As part of a school project in my post-bacc. program, I've been asked to cover how gamers are portrayed in the media. So, I was wondering: How do you feel people like you, or others who share similar interests, are portrayed in the media?

Do you feel that this is often a fair portrayal? I do not want to affect anyone's stories, but also keep in mind that many a time, murders are attributed to the killer having played video games at some point in their lives. Are video games just the hot-topic scapegoat, so to speak? In other words, will blaming games come to pass?

Is there anything that makes you and your pastime (be it gaming, or otherwise) special and different from others? Or, what do you think makes you a gamer?

Finally, what do feel that the gaming community has brought to culture and society (particularly American society, but also other countries)?

Thanks in advance for all the help!
Of course not, Christ, we're stuck in the seventies geek mould, still! Fat dude, wears glasses, can't tell a joke to save his (always a guy) life.

Jan 13, 2012
Mainly I think it's just the older generations or religious groups thinking we're a bunch of homicidal maniacs.

Pretty sure it'll pass when another culture comes around (looking at you, hipsters)

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
joystickjunki3 said:
Poorly. You know those ads about people with mental disabilities commenting on how the second they mention they have one, people's demeanor changes? I get the same treatment if I say "I'm a Gamer" or "my hobbies including playing video games". This could be largely due to my gender, also. Unfortunately many media outlets operate with creating stereotypes, and so the usual 'geeky teenage male' type is the only thing that makes sense with the stories that come out. Unfortunately, now, we also have the whole 'adult male psychotic murderer' stigma. Many different media stories on games are about how they make you become axe-wielding murderers without the ability to judge real from gaming. Rarely have I ever seen a story about gaming communities, or gaming charities, or even advertising for games that aren't mainstream shooters. Gaming becomes something sad and frightening instead of a recognized hobby and past time.

joystickjunki3 said:
Anything new that sweeps up a whole lot of popular interest in a particular age group is always considered terrible. Look back on jazz music, rock and roll, and other such period examples. The media likes to place things out of proportion to cause hype and drama and a good story - as such, many of its portrayals of such things are always biased or made without any clear evidence. Ever since video games were made, violence has actually decreased, and yet according to the media it's causing even more violence than ever before. Probably as each new generation comes in, the stigma towards gaming will die down.

joystickjunki3 said:
I find that I have a lot of gaming friends around the world whom I frequently talk to more than any other of my friends with hobbies other than gaming. So, you can say that gaming is special because it creates a sense of community, and allows people all over the world to challenge and play together. It's also a lot of fun to talk about to other gamers - like television shows are. But on a more personal level, I've found that gamers are very close to the developers (well, at least, I have been along with other Tomb Raider fans with Crystal Dynamics) and can get a good say on what works and doesn't, and can request certain content. Film developers and other such don't have that same personal quality - unless they do, and I'm just unaware of it. But anyway, that always seemed special to me.

joystickjunki3 said:
I can't help you with American society. But in general, there's definitely a greater informal culture, like internet memes and references. So, perhaps you can argue that gaming contributes to a less formal, and more relaxed and universal culture, breaking down boundaries in that respect.

Sorry for the long replies, but since it's for an assignment I know it will be a good help to you.