Poll: Gathered the Fleet (FTL Topic)

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
***NOTE ON POLL***
There are 9 basic cruisers, but polls only allow up to 8 options.
Kestrel was cut since it's the default ship, though by all means let us know what you think.

So, after ~50 hours of time (on and off) in FTL, I've finally unlocked all 18 ship variants.
(9 Cruisers * 2 Types each)

FTL is brutally difficult, but I love how your cruiser choice drastically alters how you approach the game. Each cruiser is fairly well defined, with redundancies being more intricate and lets the player better define their style of play.

So, what are your favorite, best, worst, and least favored cruisers?

Terminology/Shorthand:
When I refer to a ship, I refer to it by its generic model followed by its variant or "Type".
For clarity, each ship has a default name matched to its type.

"Nesasio" = Stealth A
"DA-SR12" = Stealth B
"The Gila Monster" = Mantis A
"Basilisk" = Mantis B

Etc.

This works for every cruiser except the Kestrel and Osprey.
Though the Osprey is generically called the "Federation Cruiser" in the list before you unlock it, both ships are actually "Federation Cruisers"
(Kestrel doesn't have a "generic list name" since you start the game with it)

So, I call the Kestrel by its full name: Kestrel(A) & Red-Tail(B).

*Rock B, aka "Shivan"

Looks badass, has a strong starting crew and two good weapons.
(Fire Bombs are underrated, and Heavy Pierce Laser is a very good weapon unique to this ship)
The lack of airlocks and door controls sucks, but the starting crew is very good at fending off intruders, and are fireproof to boot.

Crystal A would be my second favorite. Good crew, great weapons, awesome looking ship...but such a weird layout.

*Slug B, aka "Stormwalker"

No med-bay = painful. It's the only ship without a med-bay for that matter...
Healing Burst is the substitute, but it's very annoying to use properly.

Artemis Missiles are good as early shield-busters and late-game point-fire guns.
Never as main weapons.

Even though I get how the ship is supposed to work (missile their weapons, board), I just don't like it.

*Red-Tail, aka "Kestrel B" or "Default B"

Very strong, diverse, starting crew.
One basic laser sucks. Four is remarkably good.
It's all about fire-control, and the starting weapons allow for very controlled tactical volleys. Better still, it's all firepower that isn't ammo-dependent.

Having a diverse crew means access to more Blue options in dilemmas; plus starting with a Mantis makes fending off boarding parties much easier than in the Kestrel (which is a great ship in its own right).

*Mantis A "The Gila Monster" & Stealth A "Nesasio"

My worst record is skewed against Mantis A and Stealth A, since those ships are both inherently tougher to play, and their achievements are kind of nasty (Mantis A is a luck-driven mess)

However, it's skewed because I had to play them so much to get their variants.
I imagine I might have similar troubles as Mantis B (which starts with extra shielding and a 4-man teleporter...but no weapons!) or Stealth B.

Either way, these ships have some nasty consistency and luck issues. Automated Scouts and Auto-Assault Drones are extremely dangerous to both of these ships, since they are effectively immune to boarding parties (very bad news for Mantis A), and regularly pack both beam weaponry and good shields (vs Stealth).

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Federation Cruiser. The Artillery Beam is almost a sure win if it charges up. All you need to do is stall the fight long enough (Shields, Cloak dodging, Defense drones) and it'll win for you. The easiest end boss fights were when I was driving a FedCruiser.

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
Durzo_Blint said:
Only unlocked the Mantis. I royally suck at this game.
How did you only unlock the mantis? Don't you only have to reach sector 5 to get the engi ship?

Anyway, I'm still trying to find all of the ships myself; but of the Fed cruiser, the engi ship, and the stealth ship, I'd say I like playing the engi one most. The first one, not the one with all the interior drones.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Love the Mantis A to bits, you start with a full crew of space mantis and can easily tear apart most enemy crew, with main problems early on being unmanned drones who are immune to boardings.
Boarding ships=more fuel and scrap=you can buy more stuff throughout the game

Prefer it over the Mantis B as prefer the layount and starting with crew of 4 over the 4 man teleporter which demands a decent start, or at least being lucky with finding crew members.

Valanthe

Sep 24, 2009
As I royally suck at the game and have only managed to unlock the engi ship, and I've only made it to the boss once (And he kicked my ass back to the stone age), I'm gonna have to say the Kestrel A is my best ship, as it is currently the only ship I've managed to get anywhere with.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Osprey. Federation artillery is just too awesome. How the hell did those rebels manage to beat the federation in the first place :/

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
I can't decide actually. Either the Type B Engi ship or the Type A slug.

I think I'm going to say the Slug ship. It's got such a good combination of starting stuff that helps maximise your haul from enemy ships so it doesn't take long to get a ton of scrap and usually some extra crew and weapons.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
I forget the ship names since I always rename them and and the starter crew. I think my two wins were one with each of the two versions of the slug ship. I also think I was one attack volley away from winning with the ship you get for beating the final boss, but my random number generator luck ran out and I lost.

gideonkain

Nov 12, 2010
dyre said:
Osprey. Federation artillery is just too awesome. How the hell did those rebels manage to beat the federation in the first place :/
Well, their still called "rebels" so they haven't won yet.

As for my favorite ship, I only have the first two - not sure what they mean by "convince the slugs to help" and stuff like that.

I will probably have to look at a wiki to make any progress.

So far I prefer the Kestrel for its direct damage. Ion weapons (basically EMP guns) that only temporarily disable a system seem lack luster when three laser volleys will outright destroy the system.

Mr Thin

Apr 4, 2010
I cannot answer this thread honestly, since I haven't unlocked the stealth, mantis, slug or mystery ship.

However, boarding and clearing out enemy vessels is easily my favourite part of the game, so I suspect I'll prefer the mantis ship when I finally unlock it.

My least favourite ship I can tell you right now, it's the Federation Cruiser: Layout B (Nisos). You start off with a 1-damage missile and a 2-shot laser. No way any ship is going to equal that impotence. I'm aware of its benefits, but in my opinion, they don't outweigh the drawbacks.

Final note: unlocking ships on this game is obscenely, stupidly difficult. I've beaten it with most of my ships & their alternative layouts. Compared to getting a new ship, the boss is a pushover.