Poll: Getting a Nintendo 3DS soon. Standard or XL?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Well I've been saving up all my pennies and since I've decided to wait another year for the PS4's library to expand before I grab one, I've decided to get a 3DS in the meantime. The library on that one looks fairly fruitful, enough to keep me sated at least, but while I was looking up prices on the Nintendo website, I spotted that there seem to be two versions out (Well three, but the 2DS looks a little too bulky for my taste) The standard version, which is $170, and the XL, which is $200. Can anyone give me any heads up one which one would be better? Is the XL's extra size worth the extra thirty bucks? Or is it just nor worth it?

EDIT: Hm. The poll seems to be broken.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Well if you enjoy a bigger screen then the XL is your best bet, plus I think it comes with a larger SD card than the standard model. For me, I have a launch model that's been modified with a capture device, and I still think it feels and holds up just fine.

The XL also has apparently a longer battery life, but I've gotten really good battery life with my regular 3DS with the brightness being between 3 and 5. Really it comes down to preference. Do you want a bigger screen or not. Note though, that with a bigger screen the pixels are actually just stretched out and not fitted for being on the larger screen, but you shouldn't notice it too much unless you're playing an old DS game.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
I think one thing to bear in mind is if you'd be planning on getting the Circle Pad Pro which adds a second analog stick to the system. It's not used for a huge number of titles, but certain games (Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, for instance) are practically unplayable without it.

The pad adds quite a bit of bulk to the system, to the point where I think getting one fit for the XL (I think they make them, right?) would make it too big. And honestly, after a while I've stopped even really noticing how small the screen comparatively is on the basic 3DS.

EDIT: Basically, my recommendation depends on if you're getting Monster Hunter or not. XD

Liquidprid3

Jan 24, 2014
If you have big hands like me, the XL feels sooooo good in my hands. I've heard numerous complaints about getting hand cramps with the regular 3DS, but the XL feels amazing in my hands. Not to mention I have the Link Between Worlds bundle which looks sweet. I suggest getting a bundle, since XL bundles are only $220. The battery life is also fantastic.

So yeah, definitely go with the XL.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
I have an XL, and I do enjoy the larger screen, and the larger size feels really good compared to what I've tried with the regular 3DS. Personally, I'm glad I spent the extra $30 on the larger device.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
erttheking said:
Well I've been saving up all my pennies and since I've decided to wait another year for the PS4's library to expand before I grab one, I've decided to get a 3DS in the meantime. The library on that one looks fairly fruitful, enough to keep me sated at least, but while I was looking up prices on the Nintendo website, I spotted that there seem to be two versions out (Well three, but the 2DS looks a little too bulky for my taste) The standard version, which is $170, and the XL, which is $200. Can anyone give me any heads up one which one would be better? Is the XL's extra size worth the extra thirty bucks? Or is it just nor worth it?

EDIT: Hm. The poll seems to be broken.
XLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL. XL to the max. Longer battery life, MUCH larger screen, easier to hold...you will not regret a penny of that extra $30. My first 3DS was the XL, and every time I see my boyfriend's regular 3DS I simply cannot fathom how he properly plays anything on it. It's just...so TINY!

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I'm really digging my XL. The screen is noticeably nicer than the older DS's at my disposal and I never found it too big to handle. Also it looks pretty good.
Neronium said:
*nudge nudge*
:D

Bellvedere

Jul 31, 2008
I have a regular 3DS (from before XL was released) and have no complaints about size or battery life. That being said, for only $30 extra I don't see a reason not to grab the XL, I've even seen the XL work out cheaper in some sales and bundles.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
Big hands XL or 2DS (latter has better placed d-pad by the looks of it) unless you like having hand cramp or don't intend to play longer than 30 minutes.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
XL, no questions asked. The better battery and the bigger screen are so helpful. The bigger screen also amps up the 3D effect a little. It's like looking through a window, not a little hole, which is really good on the eyes too (As you don't have to strain to see it) I used to only have the 3D 3/4 of the way up on the original 3DS and it'd still hurt, but the XL can be at full at ALL times for any number of gaming hours and be just fine. That's just me though~

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I have an original, and I would suggest the XL, mainly for the better battery life. I've never had any problem with the smaller screen on the original, or the size itself being a problem either. Either way you can't go wrong with either one.

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
shrekfan246 said:
I think one thing to bear in mind is if you'd be planning on getting the Circle Pad Pro which adds a second analog stick to the system. It's not used for a huge number of titles, but certain games (Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, for instance) are practically unplayable without it.

The pad adds quite a bit of bulk to the system, to the point where I think getting one fit for the XL (I think they make them, right?) would make it too big. And honestly, after a while I've stopped even really noticing how small the screen comparatively is on the basic 3DS.

EDIT: Basically, my recommendation depends on if you're getting Monster Hunter or not. XD
Actually I have a circle pad pro for my XL and it feels incredibly comfortable in my hands. I think it feels even better than holding the XL without the circle pad pro and use it even when I'm not playing games that require it.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
SlaveNumber23 said:
shrekfan246 said:

Actually I have a circle pad pro for my XL and it feels incredibly comfortable in my hands. I think it feels even better than holding the XL without the circle pad pro and use it even when I'm not playing games that require it.
Well, I do the same with the normal 3DS, but (and maybe everyone else on the face of the planet just has massive gorilla hands compared to me) I honestly think holding the 3DS XL in a Circle Pad Pro would be far too large to be convenient. As it is, the Circle Pad makes the normal 3DS roughly the same size as the PS Vita, and that's about as large as I would consider getting a handheld console to allow it to still be portable.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
After going from 2ds to 3ds XL, the difference is pretty huge.

I figure it's best to look for sales, and/or deals.
I bought my Yoshi 3ds XL (Green! Squee!) on sale for $199 with a 40 dollar gift card making it more akin to $169 which in turn helped me get a big Micro SD card (I already had the adapter for the micro SD to SD conversion) which was pretty awesome.

I don't know your financial situation, but there's the train of thought that you can probably upgrade later.

For what it's worth, the 2ds isn't a bad system, honestly. It's slightly smaller than an opened up 3ds XL, and only slightly larger than the 3ds xl when the xl is closed. Not quite sure how that works, but that's how it is.
The screen is a respectable size, and I like the ability to put the 2ds in sleep mode via a witch instead of closing the screens. It makes cleaning the screens easier, to say the least as you won't have to worry about opening up programs.
It can fit in a front pants pocket. At least my front pants pockets which don't seem to be larger than normal pants pockets.
The speaker is mono, weirdly. The grip, and the wedge shape are there for ergonomics it seems as it does feel comfortable.
If you don't mind not having 3d, it might be a decent alternative to the basic 3ds.
The 2ds is starting to get more accessory support, too.
Frankly, the only reason I upgraded was because the 3ds XL went on sale, and my clumsy self dropped my 2ds, and it started accumulating dust between the top screen and the plastic protector. If it weren't for those 2 events happening, I might not have upgraded at all.
That said, I've definitely started making use of the lanyard holes in both systems.

I don't regret upgrading at all, of course.

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
I have an XL. My friend has the regular 3DS and after handling both, I can deffo confirm the XL feels more comfortable in my hands. It's better in every way.