Poll: Go home nature, you're drunk...

the doom cannon

Jun 28, 2012
I live in Cleveland. Weird weather is the norm here. Yesterday it was 85 and sunny, the day before was thunder storms, and today it's 45 and raining. This is what I get for being in Cleveland

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Yeah.... I live in Michigan. Our weather is always weird. In fact, the only time we're concerned is when it appears "normal".

True Story: I ran across a "You might be from Michigan if..." list one time. One of the items was "...if you've ever gotten frostbite and heatstroke in the same week."

I blame the lakes.

Edit: found the [a href="http://www.mystery.com/~gabe/michigander.html"]list[/a]
Pretty accurate. Especially the one about the driving being better in the winter.

Slash Joel

Apr 7, 2011
Hey another Minnesotan nice to meet you. But yeah we lost power in Minneapolis last night for a few hours because of the snow. But hey we got discount pizza and sat around watching people having a snowball fight. I found this snow dump to be alot of fun.

Oct 2, 2012
I picked other.
The weather by me is going crazy. Every few days it shifts from being way too cold for this time of year to way too hot.

Humidity is fluctuating from like nothing to start sweating the second you open the door.

I hate this part of Jersey...

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Right now it's about average. Our winter has been scary though. We had a month where the average temperature was 20 degrees above last year's average. It's hardly enough to say anything about climate change seeing as this is over an extremely short period of time, but it's enough to be unsettling in my opinion.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
I didn't know the internet had weather.

OT: It's pretty normal here for the time of the year, cool and breezy with occasional showers. We did have an unusually cold start to the year though which is a trend that has been going on for a couple of years. But really it isn't a sign of the apocalypse, the weather changes constantly and has been doing so forever. If we expect the world to be the same today as it will be in 100 years time or 100 years ago then we're a bit silly. It's just all happening a bit quicker than before because the world is being human-formed.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
South East US, here. This entire week it reached the mid 80's every day. The trees are green, the grasses are growing. The flowers are blooming. The pollen is coating every blinkety-blanking surface outside yellow. And then we had a major line of severe storms roll through last night: Now it's past noon and the high temperature is 45 F.

This is the normal pattern for mid April weather. We always have a late cold snap in the middle of the month.

What concerns me is that 20 to 25 years ago we would have snow and ice and killing frosts in mid April. I remember planting dozens of dwarf apple/peach/plum trees and losing entire crops due to the cold snap being too severe 20 years ago. Now a dip below the 50's feels major.

I've heard old family stories about the weather swinging back and forth between extremes all during the 20th century. When my mother was a child they went swimming in one pond in December but they skated on the same pond in December when my grandmother was a child.

Global warming is a real thing but with stories like that it's hard to figure out just where global warming is happening and where Mother Nature is just being herself.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
It's been fucking all over the place, starting to level out now although it's still annoyingly cool. I'd rather have it fuck up now and have a good Summer though. Last year it was boiling at the end of March and then rained all Summer long.

Deimir

Jul 3, 2008
It's pouring down rain outside today and has been unseasonably cold. Had this precipitation come yesterday, the city would've been covered in snow...woulda been interesting to see that actually, since everyone legally had to have their snow tires off three weeks ago.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
It will not stawp fricking snowing!!! It will snow for about 20cm then melt the next day for the past few weeks!

IGetNoSlack

Sep 21, 2012
Midwest US reporting in. And no, our weather is NOT normal. Torrential rain has made the river near my house, y'know flood. I personally haven't gotten any flooding (yet) A golf course near my house is, with the exception of a few small hills at the edge of the course, completely underwater, as in, top of 20 foot tall trees. It's that bad down here.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Here we've had five months which contained some snow. That's a long bloody winter for the UK. Pretty good now though, way colder than last year, but last year was baking.

Ren_Li

Mar 7, 2012
"Other", in that it can't make up it's damn mind.
It's normal for England's weather to be far more extreme now than it used to be. Snow is far more common- and problematic- than it used to be; we keep swinging between "drought" (as much as a relatively small island in a temperate region can have drought) and even more rain than is normal; summers are often far hotter than they used to be. Each extreme is, well, more extreme than it used to be.

RIGHT NOW, though, it's quite warm and sunny. About three weeks ago we had enough snowfall that my fiancé and I were concerned about trains being delayed (although it didn't last long at all, so.)

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
Wales is about normal now (ie grey and shit) but we had snow weirdly late this year. As in, the latest recorded snowfall in the area in about the last century. Something like that. Can't remember the actual statistics.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Same as always this time of year in Stockholm. Rain. Lots and lots of rain. The only snow left is hard-to-melt piles from the winter. They usually linger on until about now depending on how huge the stacks were. One big snow dumping site close to me is still covered in all black snowpiles(due to being next to a highway).

The papers go on about winter coming back, but they do that constantly and have been wrong every time.

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
tippy2k2 said:
Arakasi said:
Your poll assumes that average is good.
I prefer it colder, so yeah, it's slightly colder than normal.
Sorry if I wasn't clear but when I say it's too hot/cold in the poll, it is compared to what your weather should be, not by the posters preference.
I knew that, but when you say it's 'too cold' that generally means in terms of preference, not in terms of the average. So the poll looks strange.

Little Woodsman

Nov 11, 2012
tippy2k2 said:
I do not know what we have done to deserve this. Has Minnesota angered nature in some way? Is this the Mayan prophecy coming true with a whimper rather than a bang?

This type of snow dump would be strange March 19th, let alone April 19th. It's "supposed" to get to the 50's F next week but that's what it did last week and that hasn't stopped schizophrenia nature from dumping 3 inches of snow onto us. Our average high for this time of year is about 60-70 degrees and it is currently a balmy 30 degrees out.

So Escapist, a few things that I would like to get from you so I (hopefully) don't feel so bad...

1. What's it look like for you outside? Is your weather being normal for your area or have your people also angered the nature Gods?

2. Pic please! :) Please do put them in spoilers though so it doesn't take up too much space.

Edit: Just to be clear, when I state too hot/too cold, I mean against the average of your areas weather, not too hot/cold to what you want it to be.
Snowfall is abnormally late here in Colorado as well. I'm a stone's throw from the Flatirons (mountains) can literally walk to being in the mountains in about 90 minutes. Normally we get our biggest snow storms in March, and might get a little bit in April...this year we had one OK snowstorm in March, then a blizzard three days ago, snow started really melting today but there's another blizzard predicted for Monday. Hee hee, silly weathermen, trying to predict Colorado weather.....