Poll: GOTY predictions (now that everything worthwhile has come out.)

pppppppppppppppppp

Jun 23, 2011
With the release of MW3, Skyrim, Saints Row the Third, and the reviews coming for Skyward Sword, it looks like all the big titles this year have been played, so which game do you think most publications will name their Game of the Year? It looks like the big contenders are Portal 2, Batman: Arkham City, Uncharted 3, Skyrim, Skyward Sword, and I suppose either BF3 or MW3 (I seriously doubt it though)

So which of these titles do you think will be named GOTY? I know that Skyward Sword hasn't come out yet so it's not quite fair, but I doubt anyone's played all of these games anyway. Also, share your favorite game this year in your opinion.

EDIT: Whoops, I thought Saints Row the Third already came out. For the record though, reviews are already out for it, and it is reviewers that are going to name their GOTYs; our filthy consumer opinions don't matter quite as much. I also forgot about Deus Ex and Old Republic, my bad...

Also, feel free to share what you think will win in specific categories, like best art direction or best story.

Oh, and I also forgot Assassin's Creed and The Witcher 2. I should have put Witcher 2 as an option, but I have zero faith that Assassin's Creed will be any good, much less GOTY material. But, you know, opinions...

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
Star Wars: The Old Republic.

I'm enjoying Uncharted 3 a fair bit, though I don't believe it's quite as good as the second title was.

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
Saints isn't out, neither is skyward sword or Assassin's Creed. My vote will probably go to Skyrim though.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
Just out of curiosity, who's game of the year are you talking about? I predict that many of these will be 'named' game of the year.

Anyway, Portal 2 is the only one of those I've played, so I'll go with that. Followed by Batman, because Arkham Asylum was pretty awesome, so city should be pretty decent too. In theory. . .

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
Personally, I want Deus Ex: Human Revolution to win. It's a great RPG with a great storyline hampered only by the questionable design choices of the outsourced bosses.

Realistically, I think the following will win based purely on hype:

Best 1st Person Shooter: Modern Warfare 3
Best 3rd Person Shooter: Uncharted 3
Best Action/Adventure Game: Skyward Sword
Best RPG: Skyrim
Best Puzzle Game: Portal 2
Best Tech: LA Noire (category inevitably added for LA Noire alone)
Best Graphics: Uncharted 3
Best Multiplayer: Modern Warfare 3

Best Wii Game: Skyward Sword
Best XBox Game: Portal 2
Best PS3 Game: Uncharted 3
Best Portable Game: Super Mario 3D Land

Best Overall: Skyward Sword or Skyrim

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
AC:R isn't out yet and it's too early to judge Skyrim. Why does this poll need to be now rather than closer to the actual end of the year?

Veritasiness

Feb 19, 2010
I think it will be Portal 2, but bear in mind I'm voting for it 'cause I think it's going to win, not because I want it to (though it was excellent).

Who Dares Wins

Dec 26, 2009
FACT: There are more GOTY awards than you have strands of hair, there is no universal GOTY, there is only your GOTY, other people's GOTY and reviewing sites' GOTYs.

pppppppppppppppppp

Jun 23, 2011
Bobic said:
Just out of curiosity, who's game of the year are you talking about? I predict that many of these will be 'named' game of the year.
Usually there's a general consensus after every group releases there Game of the Year results. Like in 2009 it was Uncharted 2, and last year was Mass Effect 2 with Red Dead Redemption at a very close second.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
jackpackage200 said:
im sure i will be in the minority but i believe sonic generations was fucking awesome
You and I both are a minority my friend and I just can't find better words for it, Sonic Generations is fucking awesome.

Heeman89

Jul 20, 2009
Gears of War 3 is my personal game of the year (since Mass Effect 3 got pushed back)

killer12480

Jun 4, 2011
I'm sure that Skyrim will follow suite and take the Game of the Year Award just like it's siblings, Morrowind and Oblivion.

Foxpack1

Dec 23, 2010
Skyrim as no other game will have it's depth, I'm amazed they got this much done in 5 years.

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
Now that I've actually played The Old Republic, I'd say that it certainly deserves to be in the running. I couldn't care less who actually claims the title, though; when there's so many deserving candidates, gamers win regardless.