Poll: Governments killing natural fun

Tortilla the Hun

Decidedly on the Fence
May 7, 2011
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Finally, even if drugs are made legal there can still be restrictions placed on them by the state (just like with Alcohol and Tobacco) to keep the vulnerable safe.
Yes, because the government's regulations nowadays are so effective.

Tortilla the Hun

Decidedly on the Fence
May 7, 2011
I may just be crazy, but last time I checked "natural" did not mean "made in a dank, run-down apartment bathroom" or "man-made pharmaceuticals".

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Mortis Nuncius said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Finally, even if drugs are made legal there can still be restrictions placed on them by the state (just like with Alcohol and Tobacco) to keep the vulnerable safe.
Yes, because the government's regulations nowadays are so effective.
Hey, as I said before, people will make their own choices and their own mistakes no matter what the government says. However, if you legalise say, Cannabis, but have an age restriction on it, and make it so it can only be sold from licensed shops, it might stop at least some people from trying it out until they're mature enough, even if it can't stop everyone. Also, in the case of harder drugs (especially Cocaine, Heroin, pills), buying them from a legit place will reduce the likelihood of the kiddies consuming drugs cut with rat poison or whatever other dangerous shit that dealers like to dilute their products with that are even more dangerous than the active ingredient.

Bottom line is, you let people make their own mistakes (within reason) and they learn pretty quickly. You try and stifle them, and they will just rebel and end up screwing themselves even harder.

NotSoLoneWanderer

Jul 5, 2011
1)LEGALIZE ALL TEH DRUGZ
2)Make users wear special collars packed with just enough explosive to neutralize(love when people use this word to instead of kill)drug users
3)Give everyone else a gun just in case

johnzaku

Jun 16, 2009
You wanna toast your brain? Go for it.

I'm of the opinion that if all drugs were legalized, eventually newer generations will be descended from those with the good enough sense or general resistance to reproduce.

Sarah Frazier

Dec 7, 2010
Kwaku Avoke said:
1)LEGALIZE ALL TEH DRUGZ
2)Make users wear special collars packed with just enough explosive to neutralize(love when people use this word to instead of kill)drug users
Why do 2 and 3? In case they have one bad trip and go screaming naked down a busy street? I can see those options being handy in case someone gets violent and trying to kill people because they're out of their minds. But what about more casual users who light up in front of the TV to unwind from pulling a double shift where they work?

Tortilla the Hun

Decidedly on the Fence
May 7, 2011
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Two question:

1) Why do you believe its the governments job to babysit your fully grown ass?

2) I would like to hear an effective way of preventing drug use. If you cant come up with one, your argument is irrelevant.
Allow me to begin by pointing out to you that the plural for "question" is "questions". To take care of the first of your two questions, I never implied that my beliefs were that the government needed to babysit me, so I have no idea which magic hat you decided to pull that nasty hare out of. As for your next question, I never argued against the current regulations, all I was saying was that they aren't bulletproof.

EDIT: I know this isn't really necessary but '2)' is a statement, not a question.

Firstmark_Bannor

Aug 11, 2011
Legalize all the drugs. It's nobody else business what you put into your body, And hospitals shouldn't accept overdoses. People who can use responsibly wont OD. People who can't will and that will solve up the problem right there. But i am a proud supporter of the legalization of pot in the USA.

NotSoLoneWanderer

Jul 5, 2011
Sarah Frazier said:
Kwaku Avoke said:
1)LEGALIZE ALL TEH DRUGZ
Why do 2 and 3? In case they have one bad trip and go screaming naked down a busy street? I can see those options being handy in case someone gets violent and trying to kill people because they're out of their minds. But what about more casual users who light up in front of the TV to unwind from pulling a double shift where they work?
That casual user should be spending his/her time working his/her way out of a job where they work tiring with decent pay, health care, and opportunity for advancement instead of getting high. Unless of course the tiring shifts themselves have the above rewards (but I'm just saying that you could do better) but even then why don't you...I dunno go play the battlefield 3 beta, sleep, make a sandwich, have sex? All fun things to do without drugs and besides they can still wear the collar we just won't need to use it...yet.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Im not a drug user at all, but do you really want the government legalizing drugs? that means that government now gets to set prices and tax rates on legally bought drugs, which means that DFA is going to have a hand in what gets sold and made.

Also that means that you'd medically have to cover an OD, and because drugs are legal, more people wouldnt be afraid to OD and go t the hospital.

But as to it being "natural fun" I dont see it. in fact drugs arent always fun. While I've never done, i've seen those who have and its not always a fun trip, even with Salvia.

besides, I could see in areas where C class drugs are major sellers cartels would have sellers roughed up, especially if its an area where there can be a good "enforcement" of the cartel's will.

chstens

Apr 14, 2009
Cannabis and such isn't any worse than alcohol, people argue that alcohol don't give you halucinations, but then again, cannabis doesn't make you think that sleeping outside in
-20(celsius) is a good idea, because you're feeling warm.

Vicarious Vangaurd

Jun 7, 2010
I DONT USE HEROIN SO I NEED THESE LAWS!

OT: I don't really care if they are legal or not. As long as no one hurts each other and only the people using them are victimized, then they can be legal.

killthenrun1

Oct 2, 2011
But the thing is, with drugs like weed the people who take it are likely to become more aggresive which will cause the goverment much more to get police to regulate it.
Generally i would say it is a bad idea. The only real none harmfull drug is LSD the rest can hurt you in some way which is the definition of a drug.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
emeraldrafael said:
Im not a drug user at all, but do you really want the government legalizing drugs? that means that government now gets to set prices and tax rates on legally bought drugs, which means that DFA is going to have a hand in what gets sold and made.

Also that means that you'd medically have to cover an OD, and because drugs are legal, more people wouldnt be afraid to OD and go t the hospital.

But as to it being "natural fun" I dont see it. in fact drugs arent always fun. While I've never done, i've seen those who have and its not always a fun trip, even with Salvia.

besides, I could see in areas where C class drugs are major sellers cartels would have sellers roughed up, especially if its an area where there can be a good "enforcement" of the cartel's will.
In Norway victims of OD are generally saved if possible, at virtually no cost (as we have healthcare paid by the state).
They aren't doing it for the "lulz".

It's mostly because of "bad" (impure) heroin (or other drugs) that addicts OD.
Countries where addiction can be treated with drugs (i.e. addicts getting heroin so they can function in society, reserved for addicts that have failed rehab on numerous occasions) you have a much lower rate of OD's.

On the whole legality issue I'm a bit more torn.
On on hand it's a potentially powerful signal effect in legalizing drugs, but on the other hand we know for a fact that prohibition and being "hard on drugs", as you Americans so elegantly put it , has clearly not had the desired effect at all.

Since the 60's (when drugs were pretty much banned worldwide) consumption has risen greatly.
I'd link some statistics here, but it's late and I can't find them right now.

After 50 years of failed policy it is time for a new approach.
That might not be legalization, but prohibition and imprisonment does not seem to be working very well at all.

EDIT:
killthenrun1 said:
But the thing is, with drugs like weed the people who take it are likely to become more aggresive which will cause the goverment much more to get police to regulate it.
Generally i would say it is a bad idea. The only real none harmfull drug is LSD the rest can hurt you in some way which is the definition of a drug.
Let's not drag this thread down to that level, shall we?

killthenrun1

Oct 2, 2011
No it is not.
The hell the only drug that is a pandemic in the UK is weed!
Where do you get your information from?

theheroofaction

Jan 20, 2011
Well, it's government trying to protect people against themselves.

But, then, even if you could say that what they were doing is "the right thing" one must remember the forbidden fruit syndrome.

"The best way to endorse something is to ban it."

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
fenrizz said:
emeraldrafael said:

In Norway victims of OD are generally saved if possible, at virtually no cost (as we have healthcare paid by the state).
They aren't doing it for the "lulz".

Im simply speaking from the private health care system the US has. though I dont bleieve that anyone who does drugs should be helped in a hospital if they OD. call me a bastard, but if you're willingly choosing to do somethign harmful like this, then you should suffer through it. But thats just my opinion.